IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 390LM/590LM

Mike05

Has anyone purchased either the Garmin Zumo 390LM or the 590LM?

Presently, on an older ('05) R1200RT I have a Zumo 550, set up to hear route directions from the Zumo via ear buds as well as XM/Serius music (puck) and alerts from a Valentine One radar detector, with a "Mixit" the common point.

I'd like to recreate a similar scenario on a 2013 RT, recognizing the Zumo 390LM/590LM won't allow XM/Sirius radio (unfortunately, Pandora only-but I like the idea of a screen I can see in the sunlight) but am hoping everything else can be made to work thru a new Zumo 390LM & the integration capability of the newer RT's.

I'd sure appreciate anyone's opinion on both the new "sun friendly" Zumo's and/or how to set everything up to accomplish the above.

I recently purchased the Zumo 590 to replace my Zumo 550. Although it may be a little more "sun friendly," I haven't noticed a remarkable difference. You may find that you still need a sun shade or hood for the 590. The other features of the Zumo 590 are very impressive, as is the price. I really like the Garmin Smart Link app linking the Zumo to my iPhone and giving me weather radar. Although I miss the XM radio from the 550, I don't miss the monthly subscription and royalty fees. You can load hundreds of your mp3 tunes on an 8GB microSD in the Zumo 590 (or listen to Pandora). Also, you can set up playlists of your mp3 files on the 590. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the 590 so far.

Hi Tom, :wave:

Thanks for the input; should have read your post earlier (or called you for advice as usual); just spent a lot of time reading everything I could on this. Bottom line; If I want XM/Sirius music I buy their unit, run it thru the Mixit along with the Valentine One & I'll hear all through the ear buds.

If all I want is the functions of the Zumo 590, including voice prompt on routes etc. & Valentine One, for music I can go with Pandora streaming and/or load music onto a chip & plug it in. Again, need to use the Mixit.

Hope that's right. Don't care about XM/Sirius Radio, just want some songs.

I'll call you later this morning (Saturday).

LOL! :clap: Another post I should have read before looking at every Zumo 590 review I could find! You said it much better then I; sounds like I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks Tom.

Archived