IGNORED

Tires

slowvet

I'm sure this has been brought up many times before but my '11 rt needs new sneakers. The front is cupped really bad and the rear is due also. Don't know if the bike is on original Michelin's at 11,800 miles or not. I do know that I spooked myself a bit on some minor twisties 2 weekends ago. Thought about selling the bike because the opposed twin and shaft drive are completely foreign handling wise to me. A closer look at the tires and the wear I suspect, and I'm hoping is part of the issue. For me the twin is a whole other animal that I am hoping to grow to love. So far it's kinda sketchy. My question is, tire recommendations?

You maybe running to much air pressure. Yes your tires may well be gone, but a lot of folks run too much air in the front tires, I recommend using the pressures listed under the seat by the bike manufacturer for your load.

Most likely 34 to 38 psi. I have had good success with Pirelli Angel GT, but the Michelin PR3 or PR4 are great tires too.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Rears that are flat spotted in the center can do odd things transitioning to the shoulder due to the temporary reduction of contact patch.

Big PR4 fan.

You maybe running to much air pressure. Yes your tires may well be gone, but a lot of folks run too much air in the front tires, I recommend using the pressures listed under the seat by the bike manufacturer for your load.

Most likely 34 to 38 psi. I have had good success with Pirelli Angel GT, but the Michelin PR3 or PR4 are great tires too.

This is the first time that I have seen the recommendation for lower tire pressure! Generally, most of us run at higher pressures than what are recommended in the RT manual, for models older than 2014! It seem that BMW have woken up to this fact, and the '14/'15 RT manual recommends 38/42 front/rear! I have always run at 40/42, and am doing the same on my '15 RT.

I love the Michelin PR4GT that my '14 was shod with! I had the PR2 rear and Power 2CT front on my '07, and both RTs handles the twisties beautifully. As a matter of fact, I had snapped the feeler peg off my right foot-peg on my '07, and the left have had numerous scrapes on the ground. My '15 is shod with Metzler Z8, which is OK, but I like the PR4GT much better!

I have the Michelin PR2's on my '12, they are cupped somewhat at 10k km and do generate a little whine in a gentle lean, but overall I'm happy with the feel. Stick with the boxer, it takes a little getting used to and requires a bit more 'precision' (for lack of a better term) to stay smooth but you will grow to love it.

Paul In Australia

PadG

different bike the 14/15. I have the last camhead and before that a couple Hex's. I have recently been trying 40/42 on a new set of PR4's ( not GT). Got to say at that pressure they don't handle as well as the Angle GT, but I a ran them at 36/42. I am now going to go back to those pressures on the PR4's and see how they go. At this stage ( only 1500 miles use) I would not replace with PR$'s again but go back to Pirelli's Angle GT. Just my opinion , which might change with trying the lower front pressure.

best regards

Paul

PadG

different bike the 14/15. I have the last camhead and before that a couple Hex's. I have recently been trying 40/42 on a new set of PR4's ( not GT). Got to say at that pressure they don't handle as well as the Angle GT, but I a ran them at 36/42. I am now going to go back to those pressures on the PR4's and see how they go. At this stage ( only 1500 miles use) I would not replace with PR$'s again but go back to Pirelli's Angle GT. Just my opinion , which might change with trying the lower front pressure.

best regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

As for the different bike......I don't think that the tires knows that! Really! The bikes weighs the same (within a few pounds anyway), and basically handles the same, and that's all the tires knows!

I have heard a lot of good things about the Angel GT, but I like the PR4GT a lot, and will most likely stick with that when the Z8s needs to be replaced........or, OTOH, I might give the Pirelli a shot! Who knows.

I had to import a pair of PR4GT's from Jake Wilson in Utah to get a pair. They are very scarce down here. Only took 4 days to get here and it was worth it. Best bike tyre I've ever ridden on but we haven't seen any real rain down here in nearly a year.

I found 40PSI too high, made the front squirm around, 38 seems a lot better but haven't tried lower yet. Rear is at about 40-42PSI.

That's on an '07 R1200RT.

I had to import a pair of PR4GT's from Jake Wilson in Utah to get a pair. They are very scarce down here. Only took 4 days to get here and it was worth it. Best bike tyre I've ever ridden on but we haven't seen any real rain down here in nearly a year.

I found 40PSI too high, made the front squirm around, 38 seems a lot better but haven't tried lower yet. Rear is at about 40-42PSI.

That's on an '07 R1200RT.

I had put on a set of PR3s on my '07 about 2,000 miles before it was sold, and love those as well. I had never found my front tires to squirm at any time, and wouldn't lower pressure makes the tire squirm more? Now, I am imagining that what you mean by squirming is that the tire flexes, right?

BTW, the big difference (IMHO) between the PR4 and my present Metzler Z8 is that the PR4s seemed to be glued to a track, when powering around turns. The Z8 is also fairly precise, but not quite like the PR4s. I have yet to gain as much confidence with the Metzler.

Archived