IGNORED

Heated gear for a southern boy...

bayoubengal

Balmy 28 to begin today's ride with the Robins (AFB) Riders. 295 miles with high temps upper 40s. Buddy loaned me a Gerbings heated liner. I was immediately sold.

Few questions -

1) Where do you buy your heated gear? I'm 2 hours from a BMW dealer. I found a site called thewarmingstore.com which seemed to have everything. Offered a couple of different versions of gloves but I really couldn't decipher the differences. Any better sources?

2) I would eventually like to accumulate the jacket liner, pants liner, gloves, and insoles. Will start w jacket liner and gloves plus controller. Add rest when able. Logical plan or does this stuff change as often as computer tech?

3) Any better brand to consider. Budget always impt but quality/performance is most critical.

BTW - It'll be worn under a two-piece Aerostich. I ride an 06 RT with standard outlets, heated grips, no heated seat.

I'll leave the Gerbing vs. Warm-n-Safe debates to others, but will offer this advice:

Start off with a dual controller (either portable or permanent mount) -- you'll want to control gloves separate from the jacket. Spend a bit more now and save in the future, because you *will* want to replace a single controller.

Ok educate me. I was planning on the dual controller but I assumed one controlled jacket/gloves while other controlled pants/insoles? Do I eventually get two dual controllers?

It will be rare that you'll find that you are comfortable in the jacket when the gloves are also comfortable, so you want to be able to set each to where you want them.

You likely will not need a separate controller for the lower half.

You probably won't need two dual controllers. On my setup, one knob controls the gloves and the other controls the jacket liner, pants, and socks. Works great. As Mark noted above, you'll want to control hands separately...and does it ever feel good. What's really nice is the instant heat..plug in and seconds later...warmth!

Ken

I have the jacket, gloves, pants, insoles. I also have a single controller. I don't want a dual controller. Gloves have never gotten too warm, in fact I like to use the heated grips to regulate hand comfort along with the heated gloves. The heated jacket will take care of most cold rides up to about two hours. After that the pants really make a HUGE difference, and if you don't have really warm boots the heated insoles really make a difference on LONG rides. 90% of the time I just use the jacket but I like knowing the other gear is there.

The "secret" is fit. You want the heated gear to be what I call a half size small. It needs to be in good contact with your body to work well. Then if you need a bit more warmth, just add a layer OVER the heated gear. Maybe this is why the single controller works for me? I rarely run the temp unit over half way.

Hutch,

I think you will find that the heated liner/gloves combo, along w/a neck gaiter/chin curtain, and balaclava or skull cap goes a long ways toward keeping core warm and helping keep extremities warm.

I do have a heated seat, but almost never use heated grips when

wearing the above.

I add silk glove liners when it gets below freezing.

No experience w/heated pants, hear they are great, but never needed them even in single digits.

I wonder about the insoles/socks as feet can get cold after a while even with a thermal sock liner, smart wool socks, and SIDI's.

Start w/jacket&gloves and see how easy it is to be warmer.

Best wishes.

I have Powerlet rapid fire gear. I like the way it works.

You can buy pretty much anything for a reasonable price at Revzilla.com.

Doug

Just my two cents....I ride year round here in CT. 40 mile commute. Ride when its under 10 degrees. I have Gerbings jacket liner and Gerbings gloves working off a dual controller. For feet, just a pair of wool socks and my Roadcrafter pants keep my legs just fine. I usually don't wear any heated gear unless its under 30 degrees.

Start out with jacket and gloves, then see if you need more. If you're going to ride all day in sub 30 you'll probably need more. Gerbings has been good for me and I bought it at Max. You do need to try on the jacket liner as you want it snug and not too loose.

I have Powerlet rapid fire gear. I like the way it works.

You can buy pretty much anything for a reasonable price at Revzilla.com.

Doug

+1 Having owned the latest Gerbing and Powerlet offerings I would give the nod to the latter for quality of heat, less bulk, and comfort due to wiring configuration. Check out webbikeworld.com for a review.

As a side note: The Gerbings family is now making their jackets as Gordons heated gear.

Lifetime warranty on the electrics as they were in the past.

GORDONS

I have a few years old Gerbings: jacket, gloves, and socks.

Hello,

I have been collecting heated gear over the last 3 years. Each winter have got a different liner first jacket, followed by pants and finally the gloves. All from gerbing.com direct but best toy was the warm n safe wireless dual controller! (warmnsafe.com) I was not a fan of fooling with wired gerbing controller on my hip in a holster. Each time get a new piece of heated gear wonder how I could drive without them in the winter. I almost never use heated seat or grips anymore? And routinely ride below 30 degrees in northeast toasty warm only ice and salt stops me from completing 40 mile commute.

Good luck,

john

Archived