IGNORED

Corbin seat

Lucky Dave

I never put one on my BMW but I do have experience with them on all my cruiser bikes. They are very firm. Did I say very firm. The seat is very well made and for my behind very comfortable but I like a very firm seat.

They always made me feel like I was sitting in the bike rather than on it. On all my previous Corbin's they put me farther away from the handlebars. They are also wider than stock, hence not getting one on my BMW. The seat height is already high for me.

There are many, many horror stories about their customer service, however I never had an issue, and I had four of their seats.

Did I say they are very firm....

My next seat will be a Sargent. I have had Bill Meyer also. He makes a good seat as well.

Hope this helps.

I take it you found it a little firm?

I had a Sargent seat on a Kawasaki ZRX and have one on my Aprilia Tuono, and I'm very happy with them. I would just buy one for this bike but they aren't available until at least spring 2015, when I'm planning to be touring in the Rockies with a buddy.

I hesitate to get either a Russel or Mayer unless I go there in person (700 miles each way!)as I don't want to be without a seat on a new bike for who-knows-how-long.

I just bought a like-new Corbin off flea bay for $500 (list new is $1450.00). If I hate it I'll ride up to NorCal and....

Corbin seems to be a love or hate seat. Had one on my Concours 14. I was on the hate it side. It was so hard and uncomfortable, I might as well have been sitting on the frame. I even suffered riding up to northern Cali for their ride in service at the Corbin factory. I would say that made the seat only about 5% better. The guy working on my seat could not have cared less about my issues. He was only there to collect a paycheck was my opinion. Worst investment ever. The stock seat on my 14RT is a ton better than my Corbin. Hope you have better than me.

I still have the stock seat on my 2013 RT. I had a Corbin on a prior bike and it was superior to the stock Triumph seat. As stated elsewhere in this thread, they are firm, and conform to your seat muscles and bones over time.

The one piece of advice I have - if you can get to Hollister, do it. I went to the Corbin factory as part of a NoCal trip. They molded the seat base while I was there and let me ride it before installing the cover...had them make some trims as a result...highly recommended. Plan on making a day of it.

I have not suffered any of the horror stories rife on the Internet with Corbin. However, I attribute this to physically being there in person when buying the *new* seat. Post-sale service on these can be a bear.

I also had positive experiences with Saddlemen - again with a personal visit rather than just ordering something over the Internet.

If you get the ventilated seat, take a trash bag when riding as a rain cover.

Unlike almost every other farkle, a seat is personal. No matter where you get it, riding to the maker should give you better results.

When I talked about taking a "ride up to NorCal" I meant a visit to Russell or Mayer LOL.

I bought this seat due to it being as easy as a couple clicks in Flea Bay, not because I think it's going to be as comfortable as a custom made seat. If it's tolerable, fine. If not I'll sell it down the river.

It can't be worse than the stock crown shaped seat that feels like it's being shoved up my butt can it?

Along with the RT, I own an Aprilia Tuono, a KTM 1290 SuperdukeR, a Norton Commando, and a custom framed street legal dirt tracker with a built Sportster engine. Only the street tracker has a more uncomfortable seat than the RT, but it's a dirt track seat - might as well be a board.

I've had many Corbins on many different bikes. They are excellent. Yes, very firm but that is what keeps it comfortable for long riding days. The fit and finish is excellent as well.

The key is you need to do a ride in appointment to their Hollister CA factory and have the seat made specifically for you.

Too many horror stories with mail order but lots of happy customers with the ride-ins.

Bought the whole banana for my 1150RT back in 2004- custom fit driver and pillion..Went to Hollister- had it form fitted to my butt and the wife's butt...Rode it a while, then took it back to Hollister and had them form fit it to my butt- the wife had long since given up pillion riding, and took it back. Rode it a while, and went up a third time to get it fitted again. They rebuilt everything except the leather cover that time....Rode it a while then sent the stock seat pan up to Rick Mayer with pictures and measurements to have a seat made. Loved it. Was a little bit wide in the nose, so sent it back to Rick to narrow it up a little and then just rode it..

The way it worked for me was:

Stock seat- 200 miles and I was DONE.....

Corbin Seat- Could manage 400 mile days with ibuprofen...

Rick Mayer seat- Saddlesore 1000, felt fine. Rode with that seat until I sold the bike in 2007. Night and day.

Now, as other posters have indicated, its a very personal thing and YMMV. All I can say is the the Corbin seat while very nice looking, is like sitting on a concrete bench..Better than the stock seat, but still very hard. Since there are no eyes in my butt, the look of the seat was not the main concern.... I was also able to ride in to Hollister as they were only 45 minutes away.

Good luck- Lots of folks have had issues with Rick Mayer, but my experience was good. It was also 10 years ago, so again, YMMV....

Hope this helps-

Your friendly neighborhood "Heck"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got out on a ride today on the Corbin, and it doesn't work for me. The seat itself is fine, it's just too low and doesn't adjust to the high position - I'm all legs with bad knees and really need a tall seat to be comfortable.

I guess I'll pass it on to a shorter rider. PM me if you're interested, I paid five hundred for it in brand new condition.

Archived