IGNORED

Must haves while touring?

Daryl W

I'm planning to retire soon and my bucket list consists of seeing America on a motorcycle. I've ridden cruisers mostly, but want a touring bike for such an endeavor. Pretty much narrowed it down to a R1200RT, just looking for the right deal on a used bike. I've seen America from the back seat of a station wagon on family vacations, and from the cab of a truck for a few years while driving over-the-road, so I have a good idea about life on the highways/byways of America, as well as when to go to what parts of the country, weather-wise.

As I plan to camp mostly (with the occasional/weekly hotel room thrown in), I'll be carrying a tent, sleeping bag, pad/cot, stove, cooking pot, eating utensils, food, etc. for those nights on the road. Additionally, I'll have tools, riding gear, extra clothes, cell phone, camera, credit card, for everyday use and emergencies.

What else would you suggest I have with me? Travel guides? Maps? GPS? Laptop/tablet? (if electronic, what model/version?)

What can you not live without (or shouldn't you live without) while on the road?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Daryl

Welcome - that's an enviable bucket list. If you are tall enough, you might also try testing out a R1200GS in case your travels lead to a sweet offroad destination. I prefer the RT, but for that trip I think a GS would be the ticket. A couple of things I would not want to live without on such a trip:

If your bladder is big enough, you will want to have one of these in the tank bag. I never leave home without it to quickly attend to fresh bug smashage on the visor. Sure beats stopping.

wee_willy_in_hand_best_1wvv.jpg

If your bladder is big enough, and your gas tank is large enough, I would also not leave home without something like this:

155339.Jpg

I'd leave any clothing made from cotton at home.

I'd certainly have a GPS, but would likely rely on local maps for evening planning, procured locally. Nothing like striking up a conversation with a local about what not to miss in their neck of the woods.

Sunscreen, bug-spray, pre-moistened wipes to rid myself of sunscreen and bug-spray.

A tire repair kit of your choice. I'd leave the rest of the tools at home, that's what the phone and the credit card are for.

A good travel book.

Other than the laptop/tablet of your choice, I think that's about it for the essentials. OK, well, other than this link. Safe travels to you!

Danny caddyshack Noonan

For camping, the large (and small by default) top cases will likely not suit you well. Tents and sleeping bags like to make their own space. You might look at the platform made to attach to the back of the bike and then just strap everything onto it and everything else.

As per the above, no cotton. I usually wear an underarmor or nike workout shirt and nylon cargo shorts when the weather is above 75.

Before you head out, learn the bike and do a service or two WITH THE TOOL KIT YOU WILL CARRY WITH YOU.

Whatever you pack, make sure you do some good exploratory rides to test your gear. I'd also recommend visiting one of the plethora of YouTube videos on camping off a bike, this being a good one. The guys that pack well for doing the TAT are also good to learn from, the advrider forum is packed with tips and you'll note the inclination toward dual sport bikes. Don't know your riding history but if you can hook up with a riding buddy it offers some advantages.

If you are tall enough, you might also try testing out a R1200GS in case your travels lead to a sweet offroad destination.

At 6'3" there isn't a bike that I can't ride due to height, but medical conditions (arthritis in both knees, a banged up shoulder, and reduced lung capacity) prevent me from trying anything too physically demanding. I may try an Alaska adventure, but need to build up to it, and I'll ride my bike up, rent a dual-sport for the rides up there, then ride my bike home if I end up going.

I'd leave any clothing made from cotton at home.

The only cotton clothing I'll be taking will be a couple shirts, a pair of shorts, and a pair of jeans for evenings and off-bike stuff. And a few pairs of cotton socks for when I'm walking around in something other than riding boots. Unless there is a quality pair of riding boots that can be comfortably hiked in.

A good travel book.

The link leads to all of Aerostich's books. Were you trying to point to one in particular?

My intention was to have you pick, though I am reading "Shop Class As Soulcraft" - almost done, and really am enjoying it. It has restored those braincells that were damaged by me trying to get through Zen and Robert Persig's looniness.

5968_1a.jpg

Oh, and I would go with some Smartwool socks to replace those cotton socks. Not trying to spend your money, but some well-chosen Smartwool socks will keep your feet both dry, warm, and cool. Wearing some of their medium weight socks is like having Geisha girls attached to your feet. Put 'em on Santa's list.

For camping, the large (and small by default) top cases will likely not suit you well. Tents and sleeping bags like to make their own space. You might look at the platform made to attach to the back of the bike and then just strap everything onto it and everything else.

Before you head out, learn the bike and do a service or two WITH THE TOOL KIT YOU WILL CARRY WITH YOU.

Doesn't the RT come with a luggage rack/passenger grab bar set-up? Or is this insufficient for carrying a dry bag with my camping gear in it? I haven't looked at one close enough to determine if it would work or not.

I don't do most of my own service work, (just change oil) although I can plug a tire to get to the next service station, etc.

My intention was to have you pick, though I am reading "Shop Class As Soulcraft" - almost done, and really am enjoying it. It has restored those braincells that were damaged by me trying to get through Zen and Robert Persig's looniness.

5968_1a.jpg

Oh, and I would go with some Smartwool socks to replace those cotton socks. Not trying to spend your money, but some well-chosen Smartwool socks will keep your feet both dry, warm, and cool. Wearing some of their medium weight socks is like having Geisha girls attached to your feet. Put 'em on Santa's list.

Hijack: that book was given to me and I read it; while I enjoyed a lot of the content and his perspective I wasn't a huge fan of him as an author - or really, I think I wasn't a huge fan of his editor. I felt like it was often circular and repetitive. I mean, I can recall at least two times when he started a page/paragraph/chapter with (I'm paraphrasing), "I've already said this, but..."

If you've said something once, why say it again? Anyway - neat ideas, but I felt like he tried to turn a thesis or a few essays into a book, and that he wasn't quite finished doing that when it went to print.

Your thoughts?

Whatever you pack, make sure you do some good exploratory rides to test your gear. I'd also recommend visiting one of the plethora of YouTube videos on camping off a bike, this being a good one.

Don't know your riding history but if you can hook up with a riding buddy it offers some advantages.

I grew up backpacking the Sierra Nevada mountains as a Boy Scout, then spent just under 9 years in the Marine infantry. I'm a poster child of the Be Prepared motto. The video did remind me however, that I need to get a SPOT.

As for riding history, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k miles over a few years. Rode some when I was young, then took it back up 10 years ago when my wife passed away, but never had the time to really do any major trips, other than two 9-day trips, both about 4k miles, and a couple week long trips to meet up with friends and do local riding where we met up. Initially, I plan to travel no more than 250 miles per day (at most). This will allow me to become acclimated to the distance riding, as well as see the sights. Unfortunately, there aren't many who can take the time to travel as much as I plan to. I'll hook up with friends as able, but most of the riding will be solo, both from necessity, and from the desire to travel at my own pace, stopping when and where I want.

I have done some preliminary planning and will be able to see the lower 48 states, including all National Parks and Monuments, as well as a bunch of other sights, in 10 trips. These trips range from 3500-9500 miles, taking from 3-6 weeks. This doesn't include a couple 3-7 day trips around the local area to get used to the bike itself, or my first big trip (Route 66 from Chicago to LA, a day up to Chicago, 21 days on Route 66, then 3 days home from LA).

Oh, and I would go with some Smartwool socks to replace those cotton socks. Not trying to spend your money, but some well-chosen Smartwool socks will keep your feet both dry, warm, and cool.

I'm planning on reading America's great authors while on the road (Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc.), leaving the books for others to read and replacing them as I go.

Wasn't aware of the Smartwool socks, but they look to be a better alternative to cotton. Thanks for the suggestion.

From personal experience, stay away from bungee cords

Use Rok straps or similar.

I like the idea of getting & giving books along the way but I love my Kindle. Take it with me everywhere, holds more books than I will ever read and takes up very little space.

Happy travels!

Hell there!

A few must have's I can suggest.

Antigravity jump starter. No need to tell why having a jump starter on board is a good idea. It is really small, really light, can fire up your bike quite a few times on a single charge and doubles as a torchlight and a power source for your mobile phone/laptop/tablet.

Military surplus water bottle. Can be topped up everywhere there's drinking water and, much more critically, even when the weather's hot will keep your water at reasonable temperature and it won't taste like a small animal died in it.

Cooling vest. If you ride in hot weather and wearing full gear, this is a must have. Evaporative ones can be "recharged" everywhere there's water.

Lycra-based underwear and riding socks. Far more comfortable than anything else during long hauls: good quality one will help reduce fatigue on long hauls. Plenty of brands to choose from.

A good saddle. Hexhead and Camhead RT's are not exactly known for comfortable seats. Once you have your bike, take a couple of 200 miles rides and see if the seat is good for you. If not, plenty of choice.

That would be all for the moment.

"The only cotton clothing I'll be taking will be a couple shirts, a pair of shorts, and a pair of jeans for evenings and off-bike stuff. And a few pairs of cotton socks for when I'm walking around in something other than riding boots. Unless there is a quality pair of riding boots that can be comfortably hiked in"

Welcome.

This has been covered a lot here and elsewhere.

No cotton, period.

Ditch the jeans, they are bulky, don't dry quickly.

REplace w/cargo zip off pants that will suffice for dress up, regular wear, convert to shortts, can double as swim suit, dries quickly.

Microfiber shirts, can wash at camp or hotrel and dry quickly.

Layers are your friend.

Depending on your trust level and time away from the bike, a cable lock for jacket/pants/helmet.

I'm partial to SIDI On Road.

Great weather protection, mostly plain in appearance for going out to eat w/out flash, can walk fine all day, IMO, and light hike.

I'd look into modern hiking sandal type shoes that are packable.

BMW Anonymous book.

Allstate/KOA tow service.

Whatever you get, make sure it is a national plan.

More later.

A few things off the top of my head:

At the top of my list would be a gps. I find a cheaper (but waterproof) model does everything I need it to do. No more farting around on the side of the road wondering if this is the right highway. We usually just put in the destination city a few days out, and then just casually follow its route, finding interesting places on the paper map, and overnight stops when we feel like it. The nice thing is that no matter what you do, the gps will figure it out and fix it. You're free to enjoy the ride.

Also go to poi-factory.com sign up, and download points of interest that are of interest to you, so they're easier to search for. BMW dealers and independent mechanics, KOA Kampgrounds, Walmart, National Parks, sporting goods stores, or whatever interests you. Also the BMWMOA anonymous book.

Next, learn your bike. Do your own maintenance using your on-board tool kit (add the kit as you use it). Tire plug kit and 12V pump. I think I found an electronic version of the haynes manual, or something like it. put it on your phone, or a thumb drive. If not you, any general auto mechanic should be able to get you back on the road with the manual in hand.

Also, I put together phone numbers and information that might be useful in the undesirable circumstance where you (or your bike) might have an injury and not be able to ride: U-haul, bike shipping companies, or what have you.

The list goes on and on, but this is the brief version. Have fun!

At the top of my list would be a gps. I find a cheaper (but waterproof) model does everything I need it to do. No more farting around on the side of the road wondering if this is the right highway. We usually just put in the destination city a few days out, and then just casually follow its route, finding interesting places on the paper map, and overnight stops when we feel like it. The nice thing is that no matter what you do, the gps will figure it out and fix it.

Also go to poi-factory.com sign up, and download points of interest that are of interest to you, so they're easier to search for. BMW dealers and independent mechanics, KOA Kampgrounds, Walmart, National Parks, sporting goods stores, or whatever interests you. Also the BMWMOA anonymous book.

Next, learn your bike. Do your own maintenance using your on-board tool kit (add the kit as you use it). Tire plug kit and 12V pump. I think I found an electronic version of the haynes manual, or something like it. put it on your phone, or a thumb drive. If not you, any general auto mechanic should be able to get you back on the road with the manual in hand.

Also, I put together phone numbers and information that might be useful in the undesirable circumstance where you (or your bike) might have an injury and not be able to ride: U-haul, bike shipping companies, or what have you.

Regarding the GPS. If all you use it for is to find your way to a specific destination if/when lost, why not just use Google Maps App for the iPhone/Droid? Wouldn't that serve the same purpose at a much lower cost?

I always like to keep a copy of the service manual in my garage, but never thought of an electronic version with me when travelling.

A phone list is a must have, both saved into my phone, and a laminated hard copy in my tank bag.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding the GPS...

Oh, yeah, sure if you use your phone as a gps, by all means. I only just recently got a smart phone, so I haven't embraced all its functions yet.

I guess the down side to that is you'd have to be careful about being out of cell range, if the maps aren't saved onto your phone.

More from my list: Aerostich suit. Gerbings jacket. Earplugs. ipod. Bead rider. Rich's custom seat. Spare light bulbs. Omni-kit (fuses, wire, zipties, epoxy, duct tape, etc.). Leatherman. No cotton clothing, especially drawers.

I have a small insulated soft lunch bag that I strap on somewhere with a bungee net. If I have perishables (or beer), I'll go in to 7-11 and get a "big gulp" heavy with ice. Drink the soda (plain water is better), then pour the ice into the lunch box. It'll get sticky and messy if you're not careful about how you go about this. Sometimes there's a sink handy, so it's convenient to rinse the ice with plain water.

I have a small insulated soft lunch bag that I strap on somewhere with a bungee net. If I have perishables (or beer), I'll go in to 7-11 and get a "big gulp" heavy with ice. Drink the soda (plain water is better), then pour the ice into the lunch box. It'll get sticky and messy if you're not careful about how you go about this. Sometimes there's a sink handy, so it's convenient to rinse the ice with plain water.

Staying in motels? Freeze a couple bottles of water. Drink thawed portion as needed. Refill/refreeze in room fridge overnight (remember to turn temp control to max cold).

Additionally, I'll have tools, riding gear, extra clothes, cell phone, camera, credit card, for everyday use and emergencies.

What else would you suggest I have with me? Travel guides? Maps? GPS? Laptop/tablet? (if electronic, what model/version?)

I formerly traveled with whatever the latest and greatest GPS currently was, but now I just use my iPhone as a GPS among its many other uses. I wired my tank bag with an SAE plug to the battery (fused of course) and keep an iPhone charger in the tank bag. The charger hooked up to the phone which i keep in the clear 'map window' on the top of the bag. Generally use Waze app when traveling, and phone is 100% charged at end of day.

Many good suggestions so I don't have many to add.

One, Consider getting some type of Care Flight ins. Last year when on a planned 5k ride I met a deer head on Which required my being air flight to a hospital. Thank God, I did have the insurance :-). Afterwords I saw a copy of the bill submitted it was over $35k. A quick way to put a real financial bite on you touring.

Also a +1 on Spot.

Having done several rides exceeding 9k miles, my opinion on what to take is pretty simple. Select all you think you will need. Lay it out. Then cut in at least half. Less is better! If you are just touring the US you are never far from most anything you might need.

I usually take the opportunity of a long road trip to do some 'house cleaning', I pack along a bunch of well worn underwear and socks and simply dispose of them along the way the first few days. It clears out my drawers drawers and frees up a little packing room on the road for a few small souvenirs.

Lots of great suggestions, I'd 2nd the leatherman option, smartphone w/paper maps, credit card and good towing insurance. For me, I've found that sleeping on the ground sucks but so do motels. My solution was an ultralite cot. Cried when I bought it but sure makes a difference be it hot, cold or wet. Leatherman could do a bike repair but mo handy camping. Oh Yeah a cheapo LED headlight. Spare key was damn fine idea too. I use a weather proof dry bag strapped to my rear rack along with the tent, cot etc. I too like the rok straps. I try and have a good friend I trust (uly my wife) have stuff like keys and such on standby with overnight capability. Above all don't be in a hurry and stay the freak away from big urban areas at commute time. Well, and I'd admit that when I'm camping out I carry a gun. But that's a personal issue.

So, talking to my doc the other day, I may be coming into a larger settlement than previously expected. If this comes to fruition, I'll have sufficient cash to buy a new bike. Looked online at both the R1200RT and the K1600GT. Was at a dealership last week, just to sit on a R1200RT (making sure it fits my body) and am comfortable on a stock setup with seat in the high position (although, seat probably would need to be reworked for long distance comfort). I sat on the K1600GTL just for kicks...damn, that thing sits L-O-W! He didn't have a K1600GT on the floor for me to sit on, but said it sits higher than the GTL. Had one in the warehouse and offered to take me back, but I was out of time and had to get to an appointment.

According to the BMW website seat height configurator, I can fit on any model they make, as I have a 78 inch calculated inner leg curve. The seat on the RT in high position is 32.7/33.5 and I was able to flat foot it on both sides with the center stand down. The seat on the GTL in standard position is 29.5 and my feet were splayed way out with considerable knee bend when holding it upright off the sidestand (not sure what position seat was in). GT has a listed seat height of 31.9-32.7 inches, depending on setup. At the high end, its the same as the RT, so no difference to me there.

My intention is to use the bike for long distance touring, seeing as much of America as I can before I'm unable to travel. I have several years of experience riding, but I'm not crazy in the twisties...my reflexes ain't what they used to be, plus I want to live as long as possible and realize my mortality, so why push it? Prefer to stay off the interstates and stick to the old numbered US Highway system when possible, but realize there may be times when I'll be on interstates eating up the miles (especially when heading home through an area I've already traveled).

The real question I came to ask after I finish rambling is: if you could afford either bike, which would you get and why? The why is just as important, and please take into account riding styles.

The GT is much more like the RT compared to the GTL. Was lucky enough to have ridden the 16 GT for a few seasons. The motor is spectacular, the bike was spectacular too even considering the few hiccups it had. Water pump and switch gear replacement, front end squeak.

The squeak seemed to have the dealership and BMW confused, so I bailed on it. IMO the new RT gives up very little to the GT, ride 'em both if you can. :thumbsup:

Pat

The real question I came to ask after I finish rambling is: if you could afford either bike, which would you get and why? The why is just as important, and please take into account riding styles.

I have a K16GTL and a camhead R12RT. I have also test-ridden the new R12RT.

For the style of riding you are talking about, I would pick the R12RT.

The K16 eats up miles and handles the twisties very well, but the extra 100+ pounds can be tiring over a long day, especially if you are on backroads and stopping more often to smell the roses. The RT has as much load capacity (more, I believe) and handles just as well, if not better. The electronics are virtually identical, except the adaptive headlight on the K16 and the shift assist and slightly more sophisticated traction control systems on the newer R12. Both use the same saddlebags and tail trunk.

At any speed less than WFO, the wethead engine will push you through turns just as fast as a K16 (i.e., rider will be the limiting factor, not engine). While the K16 engine has a *lovely* endless supply of torque, in the curves its extra power can't be used (except to launch you off the road faster). Coming out of the turns onto the straights, the K16 will leap forward -- but the wethead RT will still be right on its heels.

Two great points Mark. One for each actually. :grin:

The Adaptive Headlight just flat out works as advertised! GT

One hundred and thirty pounds less! RT

Pat

For the style of riding you are talking about, I would pick the R12RT.

The K16 eats up miles and handles the twisties very well, but the extra 100+ pounds can be tiring over a long day, especially if you are on backroads and stopping more often to smell the roses. The RT has as much load capacity (more, I believe) and handles just as well, if not better. The electronics are virtually identical, except the adaptive headlight on the K16 and the shift assist and slightly more sophisticated traction control systems on the newer R12. Both use the same saddlebags and tail trunk.

At any speed less than WFO, the wethead engine will push you through turns just as fast as a K16 (i.e., rider will be the limiting factor, not engine). While the K16 engine has a *lovely* endless supply of torque, in the curves its extra power can't be used (except to launch you off the road faster). Coming out of the turns onto the straights, the K16 will leap forward -- but the wethead RT will still be right on its heels.

THANKS! Exactly the kind of info I am looking for. As far as the adaptive headlights are concerned, since I will be sight-seeing, I won't be doing too much riding at night, so these headlights seem like overkill for my needs.

Don't discount the GS or GS Adventure.

I have used my 05 GS and my new 14 GS Adventure as primarily on road long distance tourers for thae past 7 years.

To me they are better tourers than my prior K Bikes and R bikes,including my R1100RT.

The upright seating and ergonomics are great,the GSA tank will take you farther than you want to go in a single sitting.

Wide GS bars and great ESA(dynamic mode)make these bikes excellent for any twisties.

You don't have to worry about all that pesky body work if you do your own maintainence.

You don't have to go crazy cleaning things,folks expect GS's to be dirty.

Aftermarket or BMW cases allow for carrying lots of gear.

The new water cooled bikes have tons of power,great LED lights,the dynamic ESA is a great suspension.

GS and Adventure with cruise control,finally!! and it works as well as on the other models.

Seat height is not an issue for probably 90 plus percent of folks,low seat option is available.

JR356

Archived