IGNORED

Easy alternative to BaseCamp that downloads to Garmin?

Michael B

Does anyone know of a easy-to-use alternative to BaseCamp that will download to a Garmin GPS (350LM in my case)? I've found BaseCamp to be difficult to the point of being almost "counter" intuitive. My practice so far has been to plan all of my trips on Google Maps because it is so easy, and then take hours to duplicate the same in BaseCamp.

The problem is you can't download a Google route to a Garmin without other assist programs (I have an Apple, not PC), which leaves BaseCamp as the only alternative. I've read that older Garmin route programs are easier to use, but if available from Garmin, are no longer supported.

I regularly lead multi day rides for 6-8 other guys, and sure would like to make route planning easier. Any suggestions that are Apple computer friendly would be appreciated! Regards.

Garmin Basecamp does seem to be developed from the programmers point of view rather than the users. It has a lot of features, many of which may be unnecessary for street riders.

Have you used GPSVisualizer? It will take a Google Maps KML/KMZ file and convert it to a GPX that can be transferred directly into a GPS via the SD card or uploaded using the Send to Device feature in Basecamp.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

MapSource, Basecamp's predecessor, is no longer supported and is not Apple compatible.

For off road use there are a few programs like Rally Navigator that use Google Earth to create roll charts and GPX files.

m

Morning Michael B

If you want your routes to follow the exact route you pre-planned then Base Camp is still the best bet.

Unless your GPS can handle tracks then you will more than likely get some errors when you try to input a route made on another map set that doesn't EXACTLY match the mapping in your GPS.

The older Map Source program was easier for some to use but even that can give your routing errors with the newer NT mapping.

Base Camp is not that difficult to use, different yes, but difficult no.

What problems are you having with Base Camp? Do you have the latest version of Base Camp?

Unless your GPS can handle tracks then you will more than likely get some errors when you try to input a route made on another map set that doesn't EXACTLY match the mapping in your GPS.

Route Avoidances are the other gotcha. If they do not match between devices then route calculations will not match either.

Thanks for the quick answers guys!

DR, the biggest problem I have with BaseCamp is that the magenta routing line it creates never follows my entered waypoints. I enter a starting waypoint, designating it as such. I enter more waypoints in consecutive order for backroads I want to travel (not many interstates, which I preference out). Finally I enter an ending waypoint, designating it as such. I then let BaseCamp create the magenta route line. The PROBLEM: The line never matches the waypoints, and I have to spend an hour or more dragging and dropping the magenta line to force it to conform with my programmed waypoints, multiple times on many waypoints. Too often I have had to start over again. Also, for simplicity's sake, I do each day of my trips separately. I've manipulated every preference selection to avoid this problem, all to no effect.

DR, if you can tell me how to make the magenta line conform with my input waypoints the first time, that would go a long way in solving my problem with BaseCamp!! Preferably step by step on PM if necessary, but I'd bet there are a lot of other guys out there anxious for the same information.

I can see the value of BaseCamp...just getting a good product out easily is a pain!

Thanks all

Afternoon Michael

Ahha, very easy solution (I think) assuming the Mac version of Base Camp functions like the PC version--

First thing- make sure you have all the routing buttons turned on under (View), then, (ToolBars)

Then get the map position situated so your are on the map area that you want to make a route.

Then Click on the (3-box) (New Route) button (that should give you a pencil).

Now (left) click on your starting point on the map (you should then have a line coming off the pencil).

Now just Left Click at points along the route you intend to make (not too close) so maybe after (or at) each turn, or at places you need to drastically change direction. That should allow the route to follow YOUR path & go where you need it to. (very quick & fluid)

If by chance the line doesn't follow the road that you want then just click on (EDIT) (top of page) then click (Undo). That will undo the line (route) back to last via point.

If something needs to be moved or changed just go back & use the (Insert) or (Move Point) tool.

Added: you can then highlight the route in the L/H box & re-name it anything your want.

So simple even a Caveman can do it.

Sorry, forgot to add that my 350 LM does handle tracks, although I've never used that feature.

Afternoon Michael

Does it just make & handle it's own internal tracks (like the older Zumos), or can you import a track & have it make that into a route, or be usable as an imported track?

DR, thanks for the suggestion above. I tried it on a simple route, and it worked. With practice it should be easier, especially once I get used to manipulating zooming in and out of the map being used. By the way, my BaseCamp is the latest update from Garmin, as is my 350 LM, and I learned the hard way some time ago to make sure the device and computer were on the exact same maps when planning routes. As far as Tracks, my 350 LM has that feature, although I've never used it. I did try downloading a friend's trip from my computer's desktop to the device, but it didn't work.

If this new route method works, and BaseCamp becomes a useful utility....Hoorahh!! I'll try to let you know somehow on the forum. Thanks again!

especially once I get used to manipulating zooming in and out of the map being used.

Afternoon Michael

On the map Zooming-- If same as on a PC, & you have a scrolling mouse, then the map should re-size up or down instantly & progressively with the mouse scroll wheel. (OR (+) (-) buttons on the keyboard R/H number pad)

The Nav V is a Garmin zumo 590LM with a bit of added firmware. It is what Garmin calls an "OEM zumo".

Since it is a Garmin, it will work with anything. BaseCamp, Mapsource, BabelGPS, OziExplorer, etc.

It accepts the universal language of GPS units, the .gpx file format, so you can share routes, waypoints, and tracks easily.

Any program that can kick out a .gpx file will work with it.

Garmins are easily worked with by connecting them to a computer via a USB cable which causes them to go into 'mass storage mode' and you can work with them like you would an SD card, external drive, or thumbdrive. You can upload and download files, delete files, etc. Careful, that means you can screw them up, too, which is an event known as "bricking your unit".

Tom

............ Since it is a Garmin, it will work with anything. BaseCamp, Mapsource, BabelGPS, OziExplorer, etc ......

So, are you saying that Mapsource/Basecamp are NOT needed for transferring data such as mapping, routes, POIs etc to a Garmin?

Well, yes.

If I had a route that I wanted to share with you I could download it out of the program that made it. That program might be BaseCamp, Mapsource, or Tyre (if I was masochistic). The download would be in the form of a .gpx file.

I would send it to you in an e-mail (or attach it to this post if it didn't exceed 100Kb) and you would connect your unit to your computer via a USB cable.

When you do that you would see the unit as a drive. Here's a picture:

15470584233_4f26cb03e0_o.jpg

Now, as a practical matter, I can't share a route with you because you're in the UK and I don't have the European mapset and you probably don't have the US mapset.

If we were using the same mapset, though, I could send you the route I created from Pahrump to Ruby Valley, Nevada and you could drop it into the Garmin>GPX folder.

When you disconnected your unit from the computer it would tell you there was new user data available and ask if you want to import it. Saying 'yes', you'd find the route in your list of routes and import it and be able to use it on the unit.

If I had taken a ride and wanted to share the track with you, I could do that as well, and similarly with a waypoint or set of waypoints.

BaseCamp and Mapsource are both easy to use, but if you have a favorite program that does the same job (I haven't used OziExplorer in a long time, but let's use it for the same of argument) you can build routes in it and export the route in a.gpx file and upload it in this fashion to your unit. That program doesn't have to have connectivity directly to your unit the way that the Garmin products do. You use the 'mass storage mode' functionality.

There is a program called GPSBabel which will, with some varying degrees of success, allow you to convert file formats, too. You may have a Google .KML file that you want to convert to use in your GPS. You would convert it from .kml to .gpx and then upload it to the unit.

Reportedly (I haven't tried this recently) Google Maps will pump out a .gpx file that you can upload. I don't know if the functionality has improved as of late; the last time I did it it only built a .gpx file with the start and endpoints - useless as boobs on a boar.

In the above picture, the 'E:' drive is my SD card on the zumo. If we met up for a ride and you wanted the route we were about to ride to be on your GPS, I could save it to that card, pop it out of my GPS and into yours and you could import it. It would be a .gpx file.

The .gpx file is very useful and opens up a world of sharing possibilities.

If the above raises more questions, ask away and I'll try to clarify.

Tom

Archived