IGNORED

ClearWater Krista's or Erica's?

Redline2015

Ok, just wanted to get some opinions on what lights to put on my '15 RTW. Thinking of doing either ClearWater Erica's or Krista's with some Darla's on the fork mount. Suggestions or opinions welcomed! I plan on installing them in the next couple of weeks. Thanks! :)

The #1 question is what are you looking for, i.e., how do you plan on using the lights. Second questions is where do you want to mount them?

I have a set of Ericas on my K16:

IMG_0649_zps15c1f85f.jpg

CIMG3223_zps5c8f69ea.jpg

The Ericas are 6000 lumens(!!!) each; the Kristas are 2400 lumens each(still d@mn bright).

If you want to run the Ericas/Kristas with the Darlas as daytime running lights, the Kristas are more suitable -- even on the lowest setting (10% power) the Ericas are *almost* too bright for daytime use. At night the Ericas are unusable except as highbeam supplements because even at 10% power they are brighter than most car high beams, and on a bike they are typically mounted higher than a car's lights -- they are just too blinding for oncoming traffic or in someone's rear view mirror.

That said, I've never been so happy with a set of driving lights at night -- first time I've ever not wanted "more." I can call off my search for surplus aircraft landing lights :D

If you only want the Ericas/Kristas for night, Ericas are the ticket.

As for aesthetics, the Ericas and Kristas are the same size (largish) -- some don't like the looks of them hanging out in the breeze, but I'm function over form, so I don't care. It helps that Glenn produced K16-specific mirror brackets; I do not know whether he has anything in the works for the wethead RT.

Thanks Mark for the reply. I think Glen has some mounts already for the RTW that mount in front of the cylinders, but I may be wrong. I think you answered my question though. I want to be seen during the day and maybe the Erica's will be too bright for what I need them for. But I'm thinking, why not go with the brighter ones, never know when I might need that extra light. But I also don't want to blind people and get them blinking their high beams at me all day long. I will probably mount the Kristas in front of the cylinders and the Darlas on the forks. How does that sound? I think some people just do the Darla's alone and are happy though.

I will probably mount the Kristas in front of the cylinders and the Darlas on the forks. How does that sound? I think some people just do the Darla's alone and are happy though.

I suspect that as daytime running lights, the Darlas and Kristas would effectively "merge"when viewed at a distance, because the Kristas would not be that much higher and only slightly farther outboard of the fork-mounted Darlas.

I'm a firm believer in creating a "triangle" of light for conspicuity purposes.

On my camhead RT just the dual low beams and a set of fork-level lights is sufficient.

In contrast, the K16's low beam headlight is terrible for conspicuity -- very bright, but only a tiny pin-point of light to oncoming traffic, unlike the huge reflectors full of light on the hexhead/camhead RT.

The single low beam of the wethead RT, while not as "invisible" as the K16's, IMO is not nearly as visible as the hexhead/camhead RT big dual reflectors.

The reason for these comments? To establish the basis for the following thoughts:

On my K16 I mounted the Ericas up high to greatly improve the upper-level lighting, which I believe must be the first priority, before the lower lights are effective in making to create the "triangle" idea work. The primary idea underlying the "triangle" approach is to create a "3-dimensional" object in the eyes of the cage drivers, aiding in their ability to judge distance.

On the K16, having the Erica's high and wide provides that needed "perspective," and I believe the additional height (cage driver eye-level, higher than a car's grill) is all the more visible. If I owned a wethead RT I would be tempted to do the same because the single low beam, while not as "invisible" as the K16's, is not nearly as visible as the hexed/camhead RT big dual reflectors.

Adding the Darlas down low with the Kristas up high would be a very visible combination I expect.

I have the Ericas mounted with bmw mounts. Came with the kit from Clearwater. I have them set at the factory defaut, 30% I think. If you get the angle they reqally add to your compiscuity and help qat night.Some friends riding with me say they are great attentiong getters. However YMMV. On a 2014 RT

Blind Squirrel
Why are those things so damned expensive? I mean, come on...$600 or $700 for a pair of driving lights?

I had a set of Glendas on my old bike. I liked them but they were a pain to install. You have to incorporate the dimmer into them.

On my current bike I went with a set of Denalis from Twisted Throttle. IMO a very good light (non-dimmable) for about half the price.

Twisted Throttle is running a 10% off sale until 1 Jan 2015. Coupon code is SelfGifting14

The price is what it is because that is what the market will bear.

You do have a choice: to purchase, to not purchase, or to come up with your own solution.

I installed Kristas on my '14 RT a couple of months ago. Used the BMW fog light brackets (which are included in the kit). I want them primarily for daytime running lights, so that's why I went for Krista (as others have observed, the Erikas are almost too bright for daytime use -- and for low-beam night-time use).

FWIW, installation was a piece of cake: plug-and-play with the new Canopener on the Wetheads: no need to splice into the wiring harness. And, you can control everything with the wonder-wheel. The hardest thing was getting the body panels off.

The first unit I received was defective. Clearwater provided excellent customer service and sent out a new one immediately.

Firstly, you do NOT have to use the dimmer. The Darlas on my RT (mounted under the oil cooler as shown in the link above) were strictly driving lights and on/off actuated.

Secondly, the price is high because the quality is superlative. The instructions are full color for the specific bike the kit is intended for. All the materials are hardware are top shelf. AND, it's all made right here in the USA.

-MKL

Secondly, the price is high because the quality is superlative. The instructions are full color for the specific bike the kit is intended for. All the materials are hardware are top shelf. AND, it's all made right here in the USA.

Perhaps, but that's still a lot of money for them regardless of the quality and where they're made. I think the comment of 'because they can get it' is more accurate. But, hey, if you can afford them and like them...have at it. Too rich for my blood, tho.

The "cost per lumen" has dropped dramatically for the basic lighting element and is reflected in a drop in price for many led lighting products, but has NOT shown up in ClearWater product pricing. Theirs is clearly a market driven price, not cost driven. Kind of like Apple; great product and as long as the groupies will pay, charge it.

Archived