IGNORED

Tire Pump Connection Question

Sonor

I purchased a cheap 12 amp tire pump from Big Lots. It is small and will add to my travel tool set nicely. HOWEVER, the plug on it is for a car cigarette lighter. How do you recommend I change that out?

If you have a connection for heated clothing or a battery tender I would change the connector to match those. If you don't have one of those now is a good time to add one.

I see from your signature you have a Hexhead... there exist SAE to Hella/DIN format converters to allow you use the standard socket such as this .

However... I am not 100% sure the protocols which govern the sockets would allow you to draw 12 amps for enough time to inflate a tyre.

It may be better to wire a SAE female socket straight at the battery. In short buy something like this and wire it straight at the battery poles.

I already have a battery tender that can plug into a BMW DIN connector on the bike that was wired into place by a mechanic. I went to Auto Zone looking for the in line connection (the plugs that fit into each other where one is a metal male and the black plastic female end) but the ones at Auto Zone were too small. So what kind of connector am I looking for and is there a size I should reference?

Morning Sonor

Your 05 on-board power socket doesn't have enough current capacity to run your tire pump. Even the later 10 amp sockets will not run most aftermarket tire pumps once they heat up.

As far a matching your BMW din connector. Most BMW dealers will have what you want or (believe it or not) most John Deere dealers have those DIN plugs.

If not then just Google what you need & buy it online.

I'm guessing that Z-man (OP) meant 12 volt tire pump, not 12 amps... but doesn't matter.

If you go to a radio shack store they will have an SAE 12v "trailer connector". This is the SAE connector that fits the standard Battery Tender provided connector. Just cut off the cigarette lighter end and solder on the SAE end. If your bike doesn't already have an SAE plug wired direct to the battery then most any bike hop will sell them. This will be designed to carry the load of a charger and will take the tire pump. Make sure get the polarity right when you solder the SAE end to your pump - on the pump, the positive lead will get wired to the EXPOSED SAE terminal. The positive terminal on your bike will be the covered one.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/powerlet-straight-plug/276

They used to have a powerlet plug that came with an adapter ring for use with cig lighter sockets, but I don't see it on their website. It's not really necessary, but it is handy to have, should you need to inflate off of someone else's vehicle.

You can see the powerlet type plug and the adapter ring here, in the cycle pump photo:

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-10-cyclepump-ez-gauge.aspx

Archived