IGNORED

Covers: Dowco vs. Nelson-Rigg

OldBoldPilot

I'm looking for a good quality, full-size, waterproof cover (not a UV half-cover). The main competitors in the field seem to be Dowco and Nelson-Rigg.

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding these companies' respective top-of-the-line covers?

I've had heavyweight Dowco full covers for my bikes since 2000. While a little sun faded, (I have no garage or carport) they have held up extremely well and offer great weather protection.

Note: Please keep in mind it doesn't snow "much" in southern Arizona smile.gif

regards

I have happily used a Nelson-Rigg for a couple of years. Large size fits RT with side cases very well. I only gave it up because a BMW unit became available at the same time I started routinely leaving on a top case.

I have a Dowco "EZ Guardian" cover. I absolutely love it. It carries the "EZ" moniker inasmuch as the rear portion has a roughly 4-foot zipper that helps immensely when putting it on or removing it. I highly recommend that feature alone. The material is extremely sturdy yet very pliable when in use. One night at a motel in the Big Sur area I parked next to the grass and the motel put the sprinklers on in the middle of the night totally spraying my bike for hours. In the morning, underneath, the bike was COMPLETELY dry!

Other features include grommets at the bottom to use a cable to lock it to/underneath the bike. Also, it has scorch-resistant aluminized heat shield panels which allows the cover to be put on before the pipes cool. Further, a special soft cover liner in the area of the motorcycle windshield protects against possible scratches. At first it seemed large and cumbersome to fold/carry, but if you fold it into thirds, then roll it like an Army sleeping bag (fellow vets know the drill...) it rolls up to a very manageable size. Easy. I love using it on overnighters not only for the physical protection from the elements but because it covers the bike completely it removes the temptation by others to mess with my motorcycle since they can't see it. Other than being able to get you a beer, what more could you ask for in a bike cover?! I bought mine at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for around $69: http://www.accwhse.com/dow.htm (highly rated for customer satisfaction). I'd definitely buy it again.

Below is a picture of the Dowco cover. Underneath it is a fully dressed 2003 Honda 1300S (Retro). I believe this was the second-largest size.

91957173_3a5e776c67.jpg

99114939_75c657d547.jpg

Thanks to all who answered. You've convinced me regarding the zipper convenience, Mike. Nice VTX, BTW. I've got a new Harley I want to keep from prying eyes while on o'night road trips.

Philip

Thanks to all who answered. You've convinced me regarding the zipper convenience, Mike. Nice VTX, BTW. I've got a new Harley I want to keep from prying eyes while on o'night road trips.

Philip

You're welcome Phil. Any of the better premium covers are probably just as fine. But no matter if you've got a nice BMW, Harley, Honda, etc. these covers' intangible assets are that they provide you some semblance of piece of mind. Plus - ha - when you go to overnight rallies and park with a number of bikes, only about 5% or so will have covers. So in the morning it's always kind of fun to slowly unveil your baby. Yup - people are watching. wink.gif

I know the people at Nelson-Rigg very well. They're a much smaller company than Dowco and they really try hard to make a better product. And while Dowco makes an excellent product, the ventilation, quality of materials, waterproof sealed seams, UV-resistant coatings, and warranty all add up to make the Nelson-Rigg products a cut above.

Archived