IGNORED

GPS Guidence Needed

travelinman

It's been a while since I've purchased a motorcycle specific GPS. The last one I had was a Garmin Zumo 550. I currently use a cheap Nuvi but am looking to take the plunge$ again in hopes that GPSs have gotten a little better since I used the Zumo. I've poured over previous posts here and looked at a few reviews. I'd like to get a few opinions of the folks here.

I WANT:

A screen that can be read in the daylight. This is a big one.

A screen that can be operated with gloves on.

To be able to create routes on the GPS (without a computer, ie at the start of the day while traveling) that will let me follow specific secondary roads. This is neck and neck with the being able to see the screen thing.

To be able to use a software program, create a route on back roads and load it into the GPS. I don't want to go to college to learn it, I'd like it to be fairly intuitive.

An SD storage card so I can store more than a couple of states in it.

Waterproof.

Able to use it in a car as well.

WHAT WOULD BE NICE BUT I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE

MP3 player/Headphone Jack

WHAT I DON'T CARE ABOUT

Anything that has to do with phones, calls, bluetooth or traffic updates. I turn the sound off on any navigation system I use. Mainly, because I can't hear much anymore and I find it to be a distraction.

All in all I would really pay whatever it takes for a sunlight readable screen, waterproof GPS that I can create routes on. As it is now, I use the cheap Nuvi for current location, direction and speed. I typically use paper maps to determine my routes but it would great to program them in beforehand.

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Assuming you ride an oilhead (newer BMW's with 'wonder wheel' pretty much make the NAV V an expensive but nice addition) I'd look for a used NAV IV. They can be picked up for ~$300-350, sometimes with the car kit that meets one of your criteria.

Others may have experience with more units, just my view based on what I've used.

I just picked up a Garmin Zumo 660 that checks most of the boxes that your looking for. It's the same as the Nav IV that used to come from BMW.

Right now I've got it mounted on a thru bolt Ram from the left handlebar base but would like to find a better mount above the dash and hard wired into a switched power lead.

It's very good in the sun and works with gloves. I'm learning to use basecamp for routing although it's not the easiest thing I've done!

The price is right at around $420 on Amazon, GPS City or GPS Depot. Most are no tax and free shipping.

It comes with a wiring harness for the bike and a mount and cigarette plug for the car. So far it seems to work very well and I'm happy with it, but I'm a Garmin fan having them in my truck, boat and in the past an old one in a ziplock on the bike!

If anyone has a suggestion on a proper above dash mount that they like, please let us know!

Thank you fellows. I'm sorry to say I sold my RT some years back and currently ride a Harley Road King and Super Glide. That said, I feel I have more in common with BMW riders than the traditional Pirate of the Caribbean who only needs a stuffed parrot for his shoulder.

I have Powerlet cigarette power plugs on the bars of both bikes so that's how I'd power them. I'll check both the Nav IV and the 660. Tell me this guys; you can really plan a route on the GPS using specific points outside a motel room in morning before heading out?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Yes, it is a bit of a PITA but you can do that. The Garmin approach is to use reverse Polish (start with the state, then city, then street, and number) instead of just typing in where you want to go. There are other modes where you can just go to a city center too (easier). IIRC you start with the finish location and then drop in other destinations but, select them as waypoints.

Also, there are glove treatments that will allow you to use a smart phone. I'm thinking of going that route even though I have a Nav IV. The map utilities available are much better for phones and can couple themselves to weather radar and alerts.

Traveling Man

The 660 comes with a handlebar mount that will work with either of your Harley's. You migh need to get an extra wiring harness so you can switch the GPS from bike to bike easily If you hardware them.GPS City or The GPS Store both are great to deal with if you go that route. Amazon has a great description if the unit and what comes in the box.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Save for the SD card the answer to your prayers is the

Garmin Quest!

Get the European model with twice the US version memory - no need to power from the bike - up to date mapping courtesy of OpenStreetMapping (OSM)

All for about 50 dollars (get two and put the whole of the Excited States on them!)

Less is more ........

ps yes you can plan a route on the unit before breakfast

To be able to create routes on the GPS (without a computer, ie at the start of the day while traveling) that will let me follow specific secondary roads. This is neck and neck with the being able to see the screen thing.

This might be the challenge. Maybe it depends on your definition of creating routes? The Zumo 550 will do it, as will most. You will need to add enough intermediate waypoints to force it to the exact route you want. Not that much different than doing it in a program like Basecamp, just more of a PITA.

I knew this was the place to come. I'm downloading BaseCamp off the Garmin site right now. I'm going to play around with it some and see if I get the hang of it. Then I'll make my decision as to which unit to buy. If I become good enough with it, I can do all the concentrated back road maps beforehand and save them.

The idea is that it frees me up to really look around and enjoy the ride without winding up in someone's driveway looking at a cross dog. Hopefully, it will also provide me with a ball park "how long will this route take" as I'm frequently accused of underestimating the time these back road jaunts take.

I have a group of riders that (for reasons unknown) ride with me. Many ride Harleys but other brands are represented as well. The HD riders are always mortified when we wind up on country roads that turn to gravel, fearing a scratch or a scuff. I was proud of every nick on my Super Glide that I rode up the Alaskan Hwy and then north on the haul road from Fairbanks. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would come to the second ride with a guy like me knowing the odds of winding up riding a road they'd rather not. But, they do so I'm looking to make their experience a little better.

2003-07AK65AllanatArcticCircle_zps425803bf.jpg

2003-07AK62DirtySuperglideatArticCircle2_zps20cf8b49.jpg

Travelinman,

I remember a trip planner on the HOG site from my SuperGlide days that was pretty easy to use and load routes from too.

Taking a 'Glide up the Dalton Highway is pretty darn impressive, well done!

I'll give the HOG trip planner thing a try as well. You can see my GPS on the tank in the photo. It was an Aerostich map case;) I slept under an old Indian blanket most nights as a matter of economics and expediency. I had no GPS or cell phone, only prepaid calling cards and I checked in every few days. I never went north of the Arctic Circle, it was rainy and cold that day. The road was a mud mess and I had a flat that cost me some time. It was on a Sunday I believe so there weren't many trucks either.

I cut the sidewall of my rear tire on a rock just south of where I took that photo. For one of the few times in my life, I internally admitted that maybe I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Heck, I didn't look to see how far it was from my home in Ohio to there. I just gathered the maps, tools, clothing, oil filters and took off. When I hit the Alaska Time Zone I knew I'd ridden a piece; I never knew it existed. I'd told so many of my friends I was riding to the Arctic Circle that I just couldn't turn around and go home. That would have been a 200 pound crow to eat.

Anyway, the rear tire was sliced pretty good on the right side. So I laid the bike down on my jacket and pried the the bead off using the brake disk as a fulcrum. At one point I felt like I was going to damage the bead seat of the tire so badly that it wouldn't hold air even if I did get it fixed. But, luck was with me. I got the right side off and patched (booted) the slit from the inside. I let it dry a while (the sun actually came out but it was still windy and cold) then stomped/pried the tire bead back on the rim. I had a can of starting fluid that I brought just in case but had only used it start campfires up to that point. I sprayed the inside of the tire with the ether and then threw a lit scrap of paper at it. It seated the bead but I had to use some of my drinking water to put out the flames on the outside of the tire. I used almost every one of my Co2 cartridges because I was cheap and carried the ones you get at WalMart for BB guns, 12g I think; not the good (but more expensive) 24 or 32g ones for motorcycles. Hey, I was on a budget.

I rode north, hung out at the sign for while until some people came by in a 4wd. I had them take my photo because the cameras I was using were cardboard throwaways, no timer. I opted to ride back to Fairbanks that day in lieu of pushing my luck with the tire. I made it back around nightfall and went to the dealer the next day. I can't remember what they wanted for a tire but suffice to say I didn't buy it, I rode that bad boy home;) I pumped it up rock hard so the sidewall flex was minimal and sometimes thought about rapid deflation as I was rolling down the highway. By the time I crossed back into the lower 48 (in Sweetgrass I believe) I figured I'd made it this far, why not go the rest of the way? I did and I did.

I've lived my whole life like that and I know deep down, one day it's gonna bite me, hard. But even though I know it, I just help myself sometimes.

CoarsegoldKid

The latest Zumo's 390, 590 I think they are have the features you are looking for. I don't know about memory cards but I'm sure their web site will enumerate the features.

However if they are anything like the 660 then programing a turn by turn route is clumsy to say the least. All GPS units will drive you nuts so carry a map.

I just downloaded the CoPilot (Premium USA) app into my Samsung S4. I also downloaded the entire USA mapset (2GB) into my phone, therefore it is resident on my phone for offline routing. Can add waypoints or drag the route to somewhere that looks interesting. Saves favorites, etc.

Cost: $6.99

I think my Zumo 550 just got kicked to the curb. CoPilot is faster, easier to use, more configurable, has a motorcycle mode, but remains to be seen if it is more legible. I do not see how it wouldn't be as the usable screen dwarfs the Zumo's, but the screen tech is different.

Here's a screenshot. I quickly routed from So Fla to, say La Crosse, WI avoiding tolls, shortest distance, and dragged a waypoint to the Barber Motosports Museum. Quick and easy. Much, MUCH easier on screen routing than my Zumo. The ETA time is way off because I am not moving, but that corrects en route. Will futz with it more to see if its a keeper. Sony and others are now making waterproof phones. Garmin should be very afraid.

Screenshot_2015-01-09-16-04-52-L.png

I'll give the HOG trip planner thing a try as well. You can see my GPS on the tank in the photo. It was an Aerostich map case;) I slept under an old Indian blanket most nights as a matter of economics and expediency. I had no GPS or cell phone, only prepaid calling cards and I checked in every few days. I never went north of the Arctic Circle, it was rainy and cold that day. The road was a mud mess and I had a flat that cost me some time. It was on a Sunday I believe so there weren't many trucks either.

I cut the sidewall of my rear tire on a rock just south of where I took that photo. For one of the few times in my life, I internally admitted that maybe I'd bitten off more than I could chew. Heck, I didn't look to see how far it was from my home in Ohio to there. I just gathered the maps, tools, clothing, oil filters and took off. When I hit the Alaska Time Zone I knew I'd ridden a piece; I never knew it existed. I'd told so many of my friends I was riding to the Arctic Circle that I just couldn't turn around and go home. That would have been a 200 pound crow to eat.

Anyway, the rear tire was sliced pretty good on the right side. So I laid the bike down on my jacket and pried the the bead off using the brake disk as a fulcrum. At one point I felt like I was going to damage the bead seat of the tire so badly that it wouldn't hold air even if I did get it fixed. But, luck was with me. I got the right side off and patched (booted) the slit from the inside. I let it dry a while (the sun actually came out but it was still windy and cold) then stomped/pried the tire bead back on the rim. I had a can of starting fluid that I brought just in case but had only used it start campfires up to that point. I sprayed the inside of the tire with the ether and then threw a lit scrap of paper at it. It seated the bead but I had to use some of my drinking water to put out the flames on the outside of the tire. I used almost every one of my Co2 cartridges because I was cheap and carried the ones you get at WalMart for BB guns, 12g I think; not the good (but more expensive) 24 or 32g ones for motorcycles. Hey, I was on a budget.

I rode north, hung out at the sign for while until some people came by in a 4wd. I had them take my photo because the cameras I was using were cardboard throwaways, no timer. I opted to ride back to Fairbanks that day in lieu of pushing my luck with the tire. I made it back around nightfall and went to the dealer the next day. I can't remember what they wanted for a tire but suffice to say I didn't buy it, I rode that bad boy home;) I pumped it up rock hard so the sidewall flex was minimal and sometimes thought about rapid deflation as I was rolling down the highway. By the time I crossed back into the lower 48 (in Sweetgrass I believe) I figured I'd made it this far, why not go the rest of the way? I did and I did.

I've lived my whole life like that and I know deep down, one day it's gonna bite me, hard. But even though I know it, I just help myself sometimes.

Fantastic road tale!

Shows how little you need if you really want to go! :thumbsup:

Archived