IGNORED

2014 R1200RT Leaving bugs on paint

bmwdavid

Normally I wash the bike before covering it for the winter. This year I was too busy and put it away with a moderate amount of bugs on the front fairing. Will the bugs deteriorate or leave marks over the winter? I was considering washing it in the garage but then wondered if leaving it wet in all the crevices may be worse.

Evening David

They could, it really depends on what type of bugs & how acidic their remains are.

But, as you mentioned washing & parking without thoroughly drying could be as bad or worse than the bugs.

Maybe you can find some non harmful bug remover & just address the bugs without washing the entire bike. Maybe even something like WD-40 would remove the bugs & not harm the finish.

Why not use a wet towel to soften the bugs and then wipe them off. You don't have to flood the garage to clean the bike.

Evening Michael

That's good idea, I have used that to remove bugs from my acrylic windshield when I want a clean bug free windshield without washing the bike or scratching the plastic.

I use a towel that is wetted with hot water, then rung out & placed on the windshield for about 15 minutes (bugs come right off).

I left bugs on my 03 RT for eighteen days during a cross country ride. I thought it would make for a great before and after photo. The bug juice etched the paint pretty badly and yes, I gave myself a good swift kick in the arse. :dopeslap:

Another fan here of the wet towel trick to hydrate the little buggers, ten minutes then just wipe them off.

Pat

Hydrogen peroxide. Works on bug cement. Cheap. Likely available in your bathroom cabinet. Put some in a spray bottle, and be amazed.

In a pinch I've used Pledge to remove bugs, stuff softens them up for removal; I don't use it for my "normal" waxing of the bike.

In a pinch I've used Pledge to remove bugs, stuff softens them up for removal; I don't use it for my "normal" waxing of the bike.

Why not? Pledge is very good, and I use it on my RT every time that it gets washed! Great for the shield as well as paintwork. I do use high quality wax as well, but that is usually once in a month or two.

Why not? Pledge is very good, and I use it on my RT every time that it gets washed! Great for the shield as well as paintwork. I do use high quality wax as well, but that is usually once in a month or two.

Just habit, I miss the "wax on, wax off" mantra.

I use one of those blue autozone shammy type cloths for cleaning. Soak it in hot water, place over the bugs for a minute, and then wipe them away. Then Plexus and a microfiber towel, and good to go.

You can also cut up that blue wipe and keep a portion moist in a ziplock bag, and do the same while traveling. I always keep that on the bike . I clean my helmet that way also.

Hydrogen peroxide. Works on bug cement. Cheap. Likely available in your bathroom cabinet. Put some in a spray bottle, and be amazed.

+1

Archived