IGNORED

Zumo 660 Power Question

Firenailer

I've installed a 660 on my '12 RT using the BMW repair plug (using the 1&3 wires as directed) connected to the switched power GPS accessory plug down by the steering head ( behind the headlights.)

It all seems to work fine turning on and off with the key. The problem arises when I plug in my BMW Canbus compliant charger. As soon as the charger is plugged into either of the powerlet sockets the GPS powers on. ( with the key in the off position and the bike obviously not running ).

If I remove the GPS from the head the charger cycles and goes into the sleep mode normally. I placed the GPS back into the charger at this point and after a day or so when the charger went through its next cycle (as it normally does powering on occasionally) it powered up the GPS again.

What gives? Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Should I just go straight to a pigtail on the battery with a regular battery tender for charging and bypass the on board can bus accessory outlets altogether? Or just remove the GPS from the cradle when it's parked and on the charger?

Morning Bob

That is pretty normal. The 660 responds to power input changes so when using the CanBus (era) charger the power socket input keeps the accessory circuit alive. When the charger changes the input that can trigger the 660 to come on.

You will probably have to either remove the GPS power input when charging, OR just move your battrey charger input to battery-direct (not through the power socket).

Personally I never liked charging through the power socket on the Can era bikes as that keeps the electronics alive.

Thanks Dirt,

I'm going to try it again today, letting the GPS time itself to shutdown and then give everything 1/2 hr before I plug in the charger to hopefully let all of the circuits close themselves. If it re powers I guess I'm going to try my regular battery tender to a fused pigtail I have connected to the battery for heated gear and see if that works.

Otherwise I guess I'll just remove the head when it's in the garage as I normally would out on the road.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure this Canbus is a wonderful thing, but I sure do miss regular fuses like my Japanese and HD Bikes!

Morning Bob

It really has nothing to do with the bikes CanBus system. The CanBus is just the communication link between the bike's computers.

Personally I don't like to power my GPS through the bikes computer controller circuits.

I hate to have my GPS power down when I stop for gas or a roadside rest as that breaks my saved tracks up.

Paul In Australia

Hi DR

My Garmin 660 is powered from the GPS connector under the steering head on a Camhead. Power ups when ignition turned on, but when ignition turned off reverts to internal battery power and asks if you want the GPS to continue or not. If you don't positively answer the question, it turns off in approx 20 secs.

I like this set up

I charge the bike battery direct from an optima the 4. Like you I would rather the electronics are not powered up whilst on the battery charger.

Best regards

Paul

No luck today. I've reverted to a regular old battery tender into a fused SAE lead I have attached direct to the battery for my air pump and heated gear.

That seems to work fine.

On another Board someone advised that it states in the manual for the Nav IV that it must be removed from the cradle before charging through the on board accessory outlets. ( and that when he forgot to take it out he found it powered up when plugging in the charger as welL)

Can anyone else with a Nav IV verify that info?

Archived