IGNORED

Flat tire repair

Jimroc777

Ok , I have a flat on my front tire. The tire only has about 1000 miles on it.

I so far took a spray bottle and filled it with soapy water, pumped the tire up to around 35 psi, put the bike on the center stand, first I examined the tire looking for a puncture from a nail or something and couldn't find anything whatsoever, I started to rotate the tire and spray it down with the soapy water looking for bubbles coming from a small puncture or something and found none.

The bike has been parked for a week so I'm not sure how long it took to actually go flat.

Of all the other flats I've had they have always been on an older tire so I usually just replace the tire. Well the tire in question is practically new.

Any advice on what to do? I was thinking of taking the wheel to a bike shop and have them repair it preferably with a patch on the inside of the tire. Any thoughts?

Morning Jim

My fist recommendation is to (find the leak), or take it off & have a repair shop find the leak.

Might be as simple as a leaking valve core, or a leaking valve stem.

Could also just be rim to tire bead leak.

Once you know where the leak is you can "then" make the determination on how to address it.

Added: you can slide a piece of plastic (like large leaf bag) under the front tire, then pull it up around the tire/rim, then fill it with water (up to the top of valve stem). Then just look for the bubbles.

As of now, I think the culprit might be a pair of valve caps I bought last weekend. I needed a set for a bicycle we have so I bought a 4 pack, they were aluminum and silver color so I thought I'd make my wheels look a little better,but

The caps seem to really screw down on the valves too much. When I removed the cap and touch the top of the valve , the center pin seems like it might be raised up a little to high, therefore pressing the pin and releasing air.

I'm going to have to buy a valve core tool and make sure it's tight enough.

I took my compressor and pumped it up to 40 psi and 3 and a half hours later it's still at 40. Hopefully the problem is fixed. I'll have to check it in the morning.

I'd reinflate and see how long it takes to go flat again. Any chance some kid let the air out for you? Also a very slow leak can be kinda hard to find. Check the valve and rim for leaks too.

Edit: didn't see that valve cap post. Put it back together the way it leaked and recheck that with the soap

As of now about 7 hours later it's still at 40 psi. I did go out and get a valve core tool and I got 2 full turns on the core...I'm hoping that's it....fingers crossed..

If it's still at 40 psi in the morning,I'm going riding!

Old troubleshooting adage - "What's the last thing you changed?"

Glad you found the problem and it turned out to be a zero cost fix! :thumbsup:

Archived