IGNORED

Cold Hands

Lighthiker90

What does everyone do to combat cold hands especially this time of year? The R1100RT has great wind protection except the hands. The new 1200RT has clear plastic fillers between the windshield and mirrors to improve this. With heavy insulated gloves I don't feel the heated grips and I still get cold hands. With lighter gloves I can feel the heat but my hands are still cold hanging out there in the wind. Any suggestions?

HippoHands or electric gloves.

I purchased a set of the original HippoHands in the late '70's (picked up another set a few years ago), but only use them when temps get down to the single digits. Some people can't deal with not being able to see the handgrip control switches, but that was never a problem for me.

As useful as the HippoHands are, electric gloves are a far better solution -- easier to use, and they generate heat (unlike the HippoHands only minimizing hand heat loss) and they apply the heat directly where it is needed.

Don't overlook something like the Aerostitch triple digit rain glove.

Made to go over your other gloves for the rain, it can retain heat and reduce heat loss as it cuts the wind.

Some don't care for the feel but I use them over my heated gloves when it goes below freezing or if I have a long ride in cold or cold/wet weather.

Before I had Gerbing heated gear and gloves I used Hot Hands and the Aerostich Triple Digit gloves over my regular "winter" gloves.

Nothing compares to heated gloves for comfort and ease of use.

Thank you. I have not made the move to electric anything yet. The recent reviews of the Waterproof Windproof Heated Warm&Safe liner have made me rethink that. I love multiple purpose gear.

I have the same problem although I'm sure not as severe as yours. I recently bought a pair of KLIM Windstoppers at the MC Show in Long Beach. They work as advertised. The grip warmers keep my palms warm and the gloves keep the back of my hands from freezing.

I am a late convert to electric jackets, etc--most of my life I didn't even own real riding gear--just Levi jackets, etc. Didn't even own a helmet for the first eleven years. I thought I was invincible, but I was actually pretty tough and loved those early years greatly.

Then I began guying all the gear, but I thought electric jackets/vests were not worth the money, but I decided to try a Widder vest when I saw one on ebay cheap, and it changed my life!

I was quick to move up to a used Gerbing jacket (also from ebay) and I LOVE that jacket--it feels almost like pajamas, you can wear it all day long without complaint. For those who haven't got electric jackets yet, just do it, you'll take all the cuss out of cold weather riding. I'm in WA state and ride all year long except when its icy.

On the matter of cold hands, I find that when my core is warm my hands are not bothered much by cold. Now that I have an ex-cop bike with handgrip heaters I reckon my cold-hand days are OVER.

Just bought a pair of these :

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-x900-heated-outer-gloves-dual-control/

As I ride all year round, & got some spare cash :clap:thought I'd invest in some.

Never had heated gloves before, must say combined with the heated grips on the 14 wc, I'm toasty.

Had a Keis Bodywarmer for some years & have had no problems with it at all.

Very good products

Shaolin Master Sergeant

For the coldest rides, I wear a pair of old Gerbings gloves. They are bulky and tire my hands after a short while, have poor retention device, and no armor. Prior to that, I wore these Sliders gloves which are awesome except for retention. Web Bike World reviewed them and mirrored my experience with these:http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/sliders-cold-pro-kevlar-waterproof-gloves/

If you use heated grips, a number of gloves have thick insulation on the back of the hands and fingers and none on the palm side to transmit the heat from the grips. Two that I can think of are Lee Parks PCi and some First Gear TPG models. These are not recommendations, just FYI:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/deerskin-insulated/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-gloves/firstgear-glacier/

Another low-budget entry is the Sidici Hot Wire jacket liner. I already had Gerbings gloves; got this liner at Cycle Gear. I haven't had it very long, but so far I'm really pleased.

One big plus is the included controller. That alone will save you $50-$100.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived