IGNORED

BMW Motorrad UK v Dealer prices

Andy Walks

Hi All,

I phoned my nearest BMW dealer today (Northampton) to inquire on price & availability of a set of the black plastic cylinder head protectors. He quoted me 25% more than there priced on the BMW Motorrad UK web site ! When I asked why more expensive he intimated that the web-site was not 'official' BMW & could be fraudulent! anyone know if is there any truth in this ??

Andy W

I have not seen anything to suggest this. Take a look at the prices on www.motorworks.co.uk or www.motobins.co.uk or www.james-Sherlock.co.uk for an alternative reference.

Edit: I went to the BMW Motorrad international site and from there to the UK specific site. The URL of that site is http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk. That is the official site.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I think the dealer was referring to this site http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/ which has a similar web address. The protectors are £20 cheaper on here than the dealer quoted me.

That site is interesting; looks a lot like an official BMW site, but doesn't say anywhere that it actually is - and the about us page is conveniently "coming soon." I did notice that in the questions and answers list is says you can pick up items at their shop; the only listing I can find for any sort of address is the "company imprint" page listing the business in Germany.

My assumption from all of the little bits is that the site is a third party vendor in Germany with a really similar to corporate URL, who has ported their German site into several sites specific to other countries (UK, Italy, etc.).

You know all about assumptions...

Thanks Andy, I think the dealer was referring to this site http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/ which has a similar web address. The protectors are £20 cheaper on here than the dealer quoted me.

That site is interesting; looks a lot like an official BMW site, but doesn't say anywhere that it actually is - and the about us page is conveniently "coming soon." I did notice that in the questions and answers list is says you can pick up items at their shop; the only listing I can find for any sort of address is the "company imprint" page listing the business in Germany.

My assumption from all of the little bits is that the site is a third party vendor in Germany with a really similar to corporate URL, who has ported their German site into several sites specific to other countries (UK, Italy, etc.).

You know all about assumptions...

It belongs to a BMW dealer in Karlsruhe .

That will be why the postage is expensive ! Has anyone any experience of their customer service ? even after paying postage they are still considerably cheaper for the same part !

Thanks Andy, I'm sorted for the protectors now, bought off EBay UK and now there fitted. I've only had my RT a week so will probably be on the look out for the usual bling ... oops sorry I mean sensible touring accessories !

I'm presently in a dispute with the site mentioned above! Paid for a comfort screen and received a standard sized screen. The screen had a different part number to the box it was in (which had the correct No). Despite sending images showing a comparison to the standard screen I've had to send it back at my expense and after 10 days I'm still waiting for a response.

Thanks for the tip, think I might give them a miss as Germany is a long way to go if you have to bang the desk ! Hope you get your screen sorted.

Archived