IGNORED

Clearwater Lights for Conspicuity -Darla or Krista (Overkill?)

paRTy

Have decided to by Clearwater lights this weekend and was wondering if the Kristas are overkill since I do not ride at night much, if at all. Just want to be noticed by others.

Would Darlas be the way to go, or would I find myself wishing for Kristas when the off chance night ride happened? Would Darlas provide ample light in that situation too?

Thanks

No problem. If that doesn't give you the information you need to make your decision, let the group know what your thoughts are at that point, and I'm sure you'll get some answers! :thumbsup:

My initial thought was to go with just Darla's, but I think getting the Krista's would provide what the Darla's do and give the extra security of having a brighter spread of light at night if needed.

Getting the Krista's.

Now need to decide if I want to mount right on the Wunderlich bars or get the OEM fog light bar..

Will the OEM fog light brackets work with the Wunderlich bars? The fog light bracket attach point is used to attach the Wunderlich bars and they, in turn, provide a new attach point. I just haven't seen a pic with the combo.

If you are just doing it so people will see you and not for better light for night riding why not go with something cheaper. $25 lights from the local auto parts store will work.

Yes the OEM brackets work with Wunderlich bars, I have them mounted and the Wunderlich bars include a tab specifically for mounting the brackets.

Will the OEM fog light brackets work with the Wunderlich bars? The fog light bracket attach point is used to attach the Wunderlich bars and they, in turn, provide a new attach point. I just haven't seen a pic with the combo.
I am going to get the Krista for the very same reasons as the OP, and I was also concerned about the Wunderlich bars as well. I had a look yesterday, and it looks like Wunderlich had thought this through! When I mounted their engine bars, I was wondering why they had an extra hole in their top bracket......now I know! It is for mounting the light bracket!
My initial thought was to go with just Darla's, but I think getting the Krista's would provide what the Darla's do and give the extra security of having a brighter spread of light at night if needed.

Getting the Krista's.

Now need to decide if I want to mount right on the Wunderlich bars or get the OEM fog light bar..

From what I am told, if you get the Krista kit for the RTW, it will come complete with the fog light bracket, ready for mounting. That is the route that I will be going, and I do have the Wunderlich bars installed. So, if you decide to mount onto the bar, then you need to make sure that you communicate with Clearwater!

Thank Pad...yes, you are right. I spoke with them yesterday. I'm going to go with the bar mount they supply instead of oem mount. I want to put the lights a bit higher and also a bit wider apart. The oem mount allows only one location.

I may have changed my mind on the actual light though - the Darla may be the right one for me. Someone else mentioned the Glenda, but Darla is brighter and a little closer to the Krista. Would be fine for me in the event of night riding. Webbikeworld gave the Darla a great write-up and even said it came to close to the Krista. In any event, for my purpose, it will be more than fine. Videos I've seen with the light at full power is great and will certainly catch the eye of a non paying attention driver....hopefully.

I put the Darlas on my wet head, they run at 40% During the day. During my 4am commute they go 100% with the high beam allowing me to spot a few deer well in advance; great investment in my estimation.

So to follow this train of though along, (I have also posted this on the BMWLT forum, but I know many of the readers here have a lot of experience).

I am contemplating adding some Clearwater Darla's to my bike. I can mount these to the forks or the fairing.

As I see it, If I mount to the fairing, the lights will be vibration free but the light beam will pitch vertically with acceleration and braking..

If I mount to the forks, I won't have this issue, but the beam may well jump around a lot, due to road surface irregularities.

I have 2 goals here. Firstly to get the best use of the light possible, and secondly to reduce annoyance of other road users as much as possible.

If time and cost were no problem at all, but you only wanted the Darla's how would you mount them and why?

The Darlas paired up with the BMW OEM LED arms is a great marriage. The lights are infinitely adjustable in both the vertical and horizontal planes. The spacing creates a nice triangle with the headlamp and vibration is not an issue.

Just my .02.

Where do you have the Darlas mounted?

I put the Darlas on my wet head, they run at 40% During the day. During my 4am commute they go 100% with the high beam allowing me to spot a few deer well in advance; great investment in my estimation.

I ordered the OEM BMW brackets used to mount the BMW OEM LEDs. Clearwater supplies the correct fitting to interface with them, very easy installation. On the Clearwater site within the Gallery section there is a picture with the larger Krista lights mounted in this configuration.

I've got Darla's mounted on the lower forks/fender using the Clearwater mounts. They are aimed about 2 degrees down and they do light up the road when they are full on. I run them 10% for regular daylight running to be more conspicuous. I have never been flashed, and I do like them.

Was wondering with the lights mounted on the fork, if it was strange every time you turned the fork, the lights turned also? I know the K1600 has the moving lights, but I did not like that feature on our car. Was strange, to me, to see the lights turning every time I turned the wheel.

I know you don't turn a bike like a car, but the lights would move more than being on foglight bracket or engine guards.

Decisions decisions.

thx

Your're probably right....just wondering because you would have two lights that are much lower/closer to the pavement than a head light mounted higher.

Most every bike without a frame mounted fairing has a headlight that moves with the fork. I don't think it is a major problem.

however, with those bikes, all lights move with the fork. If you mount running lights to the fork on a bike with a frame mounted fairing, only some of your lights are moving with the fork, while the headlight remains stationary. Might be distracting.

I dont think so. The amount of fork movement (left/right) is pretty minimal when you are moving. At a junction it may be a useful feature for getting a feel for what is in the road in the direction you are about to travel in.

Yup, do agree that fork mounts would help in the "what is in the road in the direction you are about to travel in" comment.

I dont think so. The amount of fork movement (left/right) is pretty minimal when you are moving. At a junction it may be a useful feature for getting a feel for what is in the road in the direction you are about to travel in.

After going around and around with the Clearwayer Darla's or Krista's, I decided to put on Skene Design Photo Blasters. I don't ride at night and these get great reviews for conspicuity. They look great! I also upgraded to turn signal and strobe effect options. Jerry Skene was incredibly helpful and quick with shipping and info on install. Getting the P3's for the rear next. Will look into Clearwater if I start riding at night. Thanks to all who offered input and experience with their lights and options.bbRT%20Photon%20Blasters2_zpshh9hvhso.jpg

Archived