IGNORED

Boots

Bud

In the market for a new pair.

Often looked at the Combat Touring boots from Aerostich.

Any opinions/experience?

Other recommendations?

Open to all info.

I have a pair of combat lites (shorter) and love them. Going on 5 year and really great. Have SIDI gortex road boots and they are also a fine boot but I prefer the combats. They are made by SISI.

I've been wearing the BMW All-rounds (sp?) for several years, because they have proven to be waterproof (Goretex), stout, comfortable, easy to get in/out of (single inside zipper with velcro flap, not priced in the typical unreasaonable BMW manner -- and perhaps most importantly, because they are not attention-getting like some of the Mad Max styles.

I commute daily, and have to wear a suit. The suit is under my Roadcrafter when on the bike, and the Roadcrafter goes in the saddlebag when I get to work. Between the garage and my office several floors up (where I keep a pair of dress shoes) I can run into a variety of senior people that get bent out of shape if you can't tie your tie straight. They never notice the relatively plain black boot toes sticking out from under the pants cuffs.

Different people have different needs, making the "right" boot vastly different from one rider to the next.

What are *your* needs (riding environment, fashion, protection, cost, etc.)?

I've been wearing the BMW All-rounds (sp?) for several years, because they have proven to be waterproof (Goretex), stout, comfortable, easy to get in/out of (single inside zipper with velcro flap, not priced in the typical unreasaonable BMW manner -- and perhaps most importantly, because they are not attention-getting like some of the Mad Max styles.

I commute daily, and have to wear a suit. The suit is under my Roadcrafter when on the bike, and the Roadcrafter goes in the saddlebag when I get to work. Between the garage and my office several floors up (where I keep a pair of dress shoes) I can run into a variety of senior people that get bent out of shape if you can't tie your tie straight. They never notice the relatively plain black boot toes sticking out from under the pants cuffs.

Different people have different needs, making the "right" boot vastly different from one rider to the next.

What are *your* needs (riding environment, fashion, protection, cost, etc.)?

Good questions.

Fashion doesn't matter.

Protection is the reason for buying M/C boots.

Ride on road only RT. Ride in all kinds of weather. Willing to pay more for better gear.

Yes, but there are different levels and different comfort/convenience consequences depending on the need, e.g., high degree of off-road protection vs. primarily ankle and toe protection and boot retention in street riding. Not trying to be argumentative, just prompting a bit more of the thought process.

Ride on road only RT. Ride in all kinds of weather.

And you ride for a while in straight lines to get to curves! (I've relations in Centralia and Kinmundy, and went to school in Champaign-Urbana -- I know how exciting I-64 and the topography is where you live! :) )

Yes, but there are different levels and different comfort/convenience consequences depending on the need, e.g., high degree of off-road protection vs. primarily ankle and toe protection and boot retention in street riding. Not trying to be argumentative, just prompting a bit more of the thought process.

Ride on road only RT. Ride in all kinds of weather.

And you ride for a while in straight lines to get to curves! (I've relations in Centralia and Kinmundy, and went to school in Champaign-Urbana -- I know how exciting I-64 and the topography is where you live! :) )

Hey now, we have the Tail of the Mouse in Illinois, 318 miles, 11 curves. :grin:

Street riding is all I do.

I've got a pair of combat lites. Not much "lite" about them, really.

Great boot. Made by Sidi. Old fashioned leather boots with the Norwegian welt (the best :thumbsup:). Actually, they're sort of a moto-x boot, toned down a bit. Very well made and heavy for a street boot. They do need a break in period, and regular waterproofing with snow-seal, or the leather treatment of your choice. My only gripe (and it's a small one) is that they put in a vinyl tongue, instead of leather. Apparently though it doesn't make any difference, as the tongues are holding up just fine.

They're the kind of boot that you'll get resoled 2 - 3 times before they croak, and last a couple of decades. I just had mine resoled last year, and I expect there's still most of their life ahead of them (something to think about, as most boots these days can't be resoled, so they're more expensive over the long run). I can't remember when I got them, so it's been a while.

There's the two kinds of soles they sell. Grey or tan. For me, the tread on the grey soles tracked all sorts of junk into the house. The tan ones won't do that, which might be a consideration.

There is something a little different about these, than your average modern goretex street boot. They're old fashioned hand crafted technology, and will last a loooong time. They will be a bit uncomfortable until they're broken in (hell, you might wake up one day and decide they never did break in!). And as they age they develop flaws, like leaky spots. A lot of people get upset and want new ones the minute their tootsies get wet once. Which is fine. But some of us, however, appreciate a hand made boot, and understand that this happens. There are good rain covers and overboots available, if your travels dictate it. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat, but I'm already 47 now. I don't know if I'll live long enough to need a new pair.

Bates Leathers in Long Beach CA. Can be custom made if you need special sizing. They get busy in the summer though. Reasonably priced.

Great boot. Made by Sidi. Old fashioned leather boots with the Norwegian welt (the best :thumbsup:). Actually, they're sort of a moto-x boot, toned down a bit. Very well made and heavy for a street boot. They do need a break in period, and regular waterproofing with snow-seal, or the leather treatment of your choice. My only gripe (and it's a small one) is that they put in a vinyl tongue, instead of leather. Apparently though it doesn't make any difference, as the tongues are holding up just fine.

They're the kind of boot that you'll get resoled 2 - 3 times before they croak, and last a couple of decades. I just had mine resoled last year, and I expect there's still most of their life ahead of them (something to think about, as most boots these days can't be resoled, so they're more expensive over the long run). I can't remember when I got them, so it's been a while.

There's the two kinds of soles they sell. Grey or tan. For me, the tread on the grey soles tracked all sorts of junk into the house. The tan ones won't do that, which might be a consideration.

There is something a little different about these, than your average modern goretex street boot. They're old fashioned hand crafted technology, and will last a loooong time. They will be a bit uncomfortable until they're broken in (hell, you might wake up one day and decide they never did break in!). And as they age they develop flaws, like leaky spots. A lot of people get upset and want new ones the minute their tootsies get wet once. Which is fine. But some of us, however, appreciate a hand made boot, and understand that this happens. There are good rain covers and overboots available, if your travels dictate it. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat, but I'm already 47 now. I don't know if I'll live long enough to need a new pair.

Yep, I agree they do need a "break in perion". After that, they are extremely comfy. I put a thick coat of "Grizzly Grease" on them every couple years and let them sit in the sun for a couple hours. Maintains excellent waterproofness the old fashioned way.

Gaerne Midland boots fall somewhere between a street boot and a moto-x boot.

Two years ago I made a change in the type and brand of boot I was using. I had gone through several pair of SIDI race oriented boots - a great boot with fantastic protection. But now I wanted more than just protection. I wanted a boot that would protect and be comfortable for walking.

A long search for waterproof, well made boots ensued and I end up purchasing the Gaerne Midlands. It is waterproof, comfortable for all day walking, has a sole that can be replaced and they provide very good protection - not to the level of a SIDI race boot, but close enough.

The boots run a little on the wide side for an Italian boot so take that into account.

You can find this boot for sale in Europe for less than $250 in several locations. They take a couple of weeks to arrive. If you are in a hurry they are available through several US distributors, but you'll pay more.

Cheers!

+1 for the BMW All Round boots. I have been wearing them for a few years. They are totally waterproof, not hot in the summer or cold in the winter, and are comfortable to walk in. I find them to be a very good year round boot.

Doug

Thanks. I'm 68. Perhaps I shouldn't buy a boot that would last 20 years????? :rofl:

Bud,

I look for something I can wear all day. I figure I have just as much walking around time as actual ride time. So, if can't wear them all day, forget it. Everyone's foot is different, so that would be hard to know. I wear inexpensive Tourmaster Solution 2.0s. They've been comfy all day and so far they've been waterproof.

Bought a pair of Combat Touring last summer. I think they're broken in now. Wear them at work all day, very comfortable. Ridden in temps down to low 30s, worn with just Army-issue boot socks, no cold issues. Looking forward to having these for a long time.

It really, really depends what you are after.

Comfort on long hauls in all weather? A sporty waterproof boot? Something you can walk in without killing your feet? A lightweight boot for hot Summer weather?

Personally I rank TCX Explorer boots as the best I've ever had. In a direct showdown with Sidi On-Road's they win hands down in all departments except one: they cannot be resoled. I've had two pairs of On-Roads (one resoled two times) but I would pick the TCX over them any day.

Bud,

I look for something I can wear all day. I figure I have just as much walking around time as actual ride time. So, if can't wear them all day, forget it. Everyone's foot is different, so that would be hard to know. I wear inexpensive Tourmaster Solution 2.0s. They've been comfy all day and so far they've been waterproof.

I have a pair of those and their shape doesn't work well for me. Feet are kind of like butts, everybody's different shaped.

I appreciate your advice about walking around. I only want to take one pair of boots on a trip. I've been wearing HiTec hiking boots for years. Completely waterproof, light, comfortable. But the leather isn't really thick enough to provide any protection in case of a fall and their are short.

Comfort on long hauls in all weather? A sporty waterproof boot? Something you can walk in without killing your feet? A lightweight boot for hot Summer weather?

Personally I rank TCX Explorer boots as the best I've ever had. In a direct showdown with Sidi On-Road's they win hands down in all departments except one: they cannot be resoled. I've had two pairs of On-Roads (one resoled two times) but I would pick the TCX over them any day.

Have they been waterproof?

They are Gore-Tex lined and I personally tested in some pretty extreme conditions. They have never leaked.

They are Gore-Tex lined and I personally tested in some pretty extreme conditions. They have never leaked.

Bought a pair on ebay. Hope they work out well. Should be here in a week or so as they are being shipped from Europe.

I thought long and hard about the Combat Touring Lite but realized that I'm not young enough to get the wear out of them considering their purchase price.

Fingers crossed! :wave:

The Rocketman

RE: TCX Explorer Boots not being able to get new soles.

I have a pair of Tourmaster Solution 2's. Basically same sole as the TCX. One piece molded bottoms.

After a few years, the leather uppers looked like new, but the soles were shot.

Sent them to Re-sole America:

http://www.resole.com/

If I'm not mistaken, it was about $70, shipping was really cheap as you print up a UPS pick up slip from their site, and they get an amazing shipping discount. About a week or two later my boots arrived with new soles. They put on oil resistent Vibram soles which last longer.

Much better option than shelling out more $$$ for a new pair, when these were already broken in and fit like a glove. Suggest you try them when the time comes.

RE: TCX Explorer Boots not being able to get new soles.

I have a pair of Tourmaster Solution 2's. Basically same sole as the TCX. One piece molded bottoms.

After a few years, the leather uppers looked like new, but the soles were shot.

Sent them to Re-sole America:

http://www.resole.com/

If I'm not mistaken, it was about $70, shipping was really cheap as you print up a UPS pick up slip from their site, and they get an amazing shipping discount. About a week or two later my boots arrived with new soles. They put on oil resistent Vibram soles which last longer.

Much better option than shelling out more $$$ for a new pair, when these were already broken in and fit like a glove. Suggest you try them when the time comes.

Thanks RM :thumbsup: . I'm bookmarking this post so I will be able to find it in the future. If I ride long enough to wear then out I will be sure to try them out.

Bought a pair on ebay. Hope they work out well. Should be here in a week or so as they are being shipped from Europe.

I thought long and hard about the Combat Touring Lite but realized that I'm not young enough to get the wear out of them considering their purchase price.

You won't be disappointed. Only thing is TCX boots have a "relaxed" fit. I usually wear EUR45 shoes and boots but I am just fine with EUR44 size for the Explorers.

I'm considering a pair of Gasolina boots, either the Autobhan, the Delux, or possibly the Ton-Up. I've heard good things about them from a guy who has their short version, and I like the looks. I'm hesitant about the Ton-Up, because it looks like the zipper may go too far down near the heel though.

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I believe BMW AllRounds are made by TCX. Been very happy with mine. Was going to buy the Tourmaster equivalent but somehow ended up talking to a lady who was happy with her 11 year old BMW boots (either an older AllRound or the precursor to it). I tried it and it felt like a much more substantial boot even though it doesn't look much different from the Tourmaster. I second what everybody else said about it so far. 20k miles later, it still looks new if I put some polish on it.

To my regred, I ignored the advice of the sales person at the Aerostich store in West Duluth. He said to put the boots on, fill a bath tub with 8" of hot water, and soak the boots for an hour, then wear until dry. As a result, it took more than a year for my pair to break in properly. Nine years later, they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Warm in cold weather, not not and sweaty in hot weather, I have never experienced any leakage, easy on/off, but secure thanks to the interior lacing system, and very, very sturdy. If I sustain a serious foot or ankle injury while wearing Combat Touring Lites, I will probably have more serious injuries elsewhere. I had mine resoled last year; not cheap, but they are probably good for another 8 years, which be more than I can say for myself.

I ride with Alpinestars Tech 3 on the road. Ever since my slow lay down and my ankle being caught under my bike, I am a bit overly cautious about a crush break. So it all comes back to what is it your want your boots to protect you from? Ankle scrapes, breaks, or ???

You won't be disappointed. Only thing is TCX boots have a "relaxed" fit. I usually wear EUR45 shoes and boots but I am just fine with EUR44 size for the Explorers.

Your info was right on the money. Of course I ordered before I read your post.

I ordered the size I usually wear, 13/ Euro 48 US and it is too large. :dopeslap:

Grrrrr... Bought them on sale but if I send them back and order another pair, the shipping will more than eat up what I saved.

Maybe someone here is proud of their large feet and would like a deal. :grin:

There is a lesson to be learned here, I just wished I knew what it was. :dopeslap:

• 4 weeks later...
I'll be sure to step on them in Dillard. :thumbsup:

Good. It will give me instant street cred if they look like I've been down a time or two! :wave::thumbsup:

Archived