IGNORED

Is AeroStich Darien Jacket Worth the Money?

Michael B

After years wearing my bright yellow Tour Master Intake jacket, I am considering a conspicuous Yellow Aerostich Darien jacket. I ride all year and need liners for warmth. With two extra liners my Tour Master originally cost $200. Aerostich's Darien jacket alone is $587, and I'll still need an Aerostich liner at another $250, and another $85 for a back pad. We're talking $915 for Jacket/Liner/Pad...so is it worth it? From a safety protection point of view, I can see good value, but I am also concerned about:

The Tour Master gives me plenty of air in the summer. Will Darien do the same?

Tour Master's two liners lets me ride all year. Will Darien plus liner (no electrics) do the same?

Washing Tour Master is easy. Will Darien and liner easily wash?

When washed, will the Darien and liner lose their waterproof ability. Are they waterproof to begin with?

I've read a bunch of reviews on Aerostich's website, and frankly, I'm not convinced yet. You guys always have good answers...what do you recommend here?

For more than 11 years the Darien was my go to riding jacket for winter riding and long trips. During that time I washed it every year or two and used Nikwax tech wash on it twice during that period. It IS by far the most waterproof riding jacket I have ever owned. It has never leaked even during all day rides in the rain. I did not buy the liner as I just use my Gerbings liner when it is cool and plug in the Gerbings when it is cold.

In 2013 I was looking to replace this jacket as it was becoming too big for me. I looked at a new Darien and also the Klim jackets. By the time I added the back pad and the TF5 armor I was near the $750 mark. I looked at the Klim Badlands jacket and it came with the 3D0 armor and a back pad and chest pad. It also fit me better than the Darien as they no longer have the long sizing that I really need.

I ended up finding a store that was selling the Badlands jacket for that same $750 so I ended up buying the Klim.

The Klim is a great jacket but it is much heavier than the Darien and if you don't get the arm vent zippers completely closed, not as waterproof as the Darien.

Time will tell if the Klim will hold up as long as my Darien jacket.

I have both jackets. The Klim is heavier but feels better. I haven't had any leaking issues with the the Klim. All day hard rain and the jacket and pants were great. I don't wear the the Aerostitch much any more. But that is just me.

I've had the Darian, currently have both a Roadcrafter and a Klim Badlands and much prefer either the Roadcrafter or the Badlands to the Darian. I prefer the Badlands to the Roadcrafter but it is heavy with the D30 armor but very waterproof. Their waterproof zippers are so waterproof that they are almost "zip proof" but after some use get a lot easier.

I've been using a two piece roadcrafter for over a decade now. Two thumbs up. (no experience with the Darien, however). Generally speaking, I think there are two main reasons for the steep price tag: Made in USA; and they have a longer lifespan than a lot of other stuff. So you might put it on and say "wow, this doesn't feel like a zillion bucks". But you shouldn't need a new one for a long, looooong time.

At any rate, I love my roadcrafter. I have no interest in even LOOKING at another brand, or model, even after all this time.

You should be able to wash the Darien at home in a regular machine. Just follow the directions. And the Darien is a seam sealed gore-tex garment. They are waterproof, and it won't wash out.

A couple of years ago my jacket was stolen in Illinois on a Sunday when I was on a trip. The next day I found an open motorcycle shop in Oshkosh, WI and picked up a Tour Master Transition 3 jacket. Back home in San Francisco, I ordered an Aerostich Darien, which arrived just before I was heading for Key West. Since then I've worn the Darien to the Arctic Circle and on another long trip to the Midwest.

When zipped and fastened carefully, the jacket keeps out the rain. With the liner (really a fleece jacket) it is warm. The collar is comfortable. With all the vents open I'm quite comfortable on a 90 degree day as long as I'm moving.

I didn't order a back protector initially, but did so on the way to Key West and had it shipped to a friend's house in Orlando. Back from Key West I sent the jacket to Aerostich. The zipper was very difficult to start, and one of the magnets that holds the collar down had gone missing. I suggested that they rethink the pocket for the magnet. The jacket was back in a couple of weeks, and the new zipper worked much better. However, last summer I noticed that the zipper was again becoming difficult to start, and since my route to the BMWMOA rally in St. Paul would take me near Duluth, I stopped in at the Aerostich factory, where the zipper pull was quickly replaced. Much better.

After two years and many miles the Darien is still rather stiff - on day rides around the Bay Area I usually wear my Tour Master. The Darien really should include a back protector.

If the Darien were stolen or lost (I don't think that it will ever wear out) I'm not sure that I would replace it with another Darien.

Peter

I can't speak to the Roadcrafter or Darien, but a few years ago, my wife got me a 'Stitch Transit (2-piece) suit -- the very pricey waterproof leather one, with the back protector upgrade -- and it's been just amazing. What they say on the Aerostitch site about it being a lot cooler in warm/hot weather (due to some slight reflective capability of the leather) is true, as is its waterproof capabilities. Yes, it's crazy expensive, but it's become my go-to gear on everything but the hottest and coldest days. For those, I have a Rev-It Sand 2-piece, which is also a great bit of kit, and comes with both a rain and a thermal liner. Of the two, the 'Stitch has the edge in terms of materials and build quality. The Rev-It Sand is certainly no slouch in either department, and can be got for a lot less if you watch for sales. There is, however, a lot to be said for riding down the road, and when the skies open up, maybe only having to swap gloves for a rain-proof pair. The Transit gives you that -- plus good looks, durability, and solid protection -- and is therefore, IMO anyway, worth the hefty price tag.

Hope that helps, rather than adding to the headscratch.

Archived