IGNORED

Paint Protection 2015 R1200RT

hedstrom

Looking for paint protection for my 2015 R1200RT. Did get one quote from InvisiGARD but it was for $439.95 for 3M film. Does anyone know of a more reasonable priced alternative?

Hedstrom

Shaolin Master Sergeant

Check tankslapper.com to see if they have a kit for your bike. I bought mine for about $80 (K1600GTL). 3M film was used. Fairly easy to install after watching youtube vids. Do get the 3M squeegee thingee and the bigger thingee.

Invisigard....I bought some for a prior bike....I worked it and worked it and worked it....then I wadded it up and through it away. Some of the pieces began to overlap and no amount of warm soapy water would separate them. They ended up torn and ugly. I'm sure it was my fault not theirs but just didn't work for me....and I can do tinted windows. Your mileage may vary.

Im going to take mine to one of the local auto places that say they have a 3m product they can use. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Snyder's Paint Guard works great, just cut 'em out to your size and apply. Also 3M now has a 'spray-on' protector, supposed to work pretty good. Clear too. It'll peal off if you decide to remove it.

Check out tankslappers. Riz?. Have 20014 kit. Might be the same. Sun dimmers on railroad ave does high end car covering and I think I asked about bikes when black diamond flim turned lousy. They do nice work lifetime warranty. Good luck. :dopeslap:

Shaolin Master Sergeant

I used the 3M spray on protector film. Maybe the cheapest alternative and it does work well but mine lasted for a year before it got too dull and scratched up and worn down looking. I peeled it off and the paint looked brand new underneath. Make sure to follow instructions specially the one on waxing the paint before spraying. Removal was a lot easier on the waxed side. But for about $30 more, the Tankslapper kit gives not just saddlebag coverage, but headlight, front fender, tank, frontal edges of the bodywork. Plus it looks better. The spray on film can look a little uneven.

Check tankslapper.com to see if they have a kit for your bike. I bought mine for about $80 (K1600GTL). 3M film was used. Fairly easy to install after watching youtube vids. Do get the 3M squeegee thingee and the bigger thingee.

Yep... have used it on 800GS, my RT, k1200 and Kawasaki 400. Great product. Easy to install. Best deal going.

On the one hand I want something to keep boot scuffs off the panniers, on the other I don't want my bike looking like vinyl covered furniture (remember that?). And tankslapper doesn't look like it has a kit just for the panniers, they either want to sell me a kit for the whole bike ($105 for my '15) or a "side case reflector kit" for $20 which has no description and might be for an older model as well.

I decided to get tank pads from TechSpec. I could get the pannier lid covers from them too but they'd cover some of the graphics as I have the San Marino blue. Anything that fits the K1600 panniers will fit the RTW.

Archived