IGNORED

Is this the time for Helmet deals?

EddyQ

My old Arai Profile is seriously in need of replacing. It was a good helmet for quite a long time and I would buy another. It really fits my long oval (narrow) head. Unfortunately, Arai had discontinued the Profile and closest is a Signet-Q. The Signet Q is said to be a slightly narrow, and not as narrow as the Profile. The other deal breaker is the high cost. Arai is a good helmet, but quality isn't high enough for $600 price tag IMO.

There isn't many choices out there for us long oval heads. Seems manufactures have gone towards the normal round.

I'm considering a Scorpion EXO R2000 which apparently is a long oval. I plan to shop very soon and careful investigate this. Any of you have one?

When is a good time of year to buy? I'm thinking now. I have a common size (L) which sells out. In another month, I'd guess the deals won't have my size. Any advice?

I keep hoping that someday soon there will be custom helmets available. I envision a big bag of expanding foam that shapes itself over your head and is shipped to the manufacturer to reproduce as a helmet liner. "Long oval" and "round" are kind of vague, and I've found no measurable proportions to determine which is which.

Morning Eddy

I have a Scorpion EXO R2000, seldom wear it but it isn't a bad helmet.

The fit wasn't that good when I received it (too tight here & to loose there) but with some work it now fits me fine.

My suggestion is to buy the Scorpion EXO from a local shop that will work with you on fit. I had to swap out cheek pads to get a snug but not tight fit.

Eddy, these days you can get an Arai helmet straight from Japan for much less (shipping and custom duties included) than it costs in the US, Europe etc. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

Now, I am not going to sugarcoat it: if you have an "Arai head" the only helmet brand with a similar fit and feel is OGK Kabuto. I've picked the OGK because, plainly put, it's far cheaper than an Arai and, as a commuting helmet, the chances of dropping it in a parking lot are pretty high.

For the rest I've tried Suomy, Premier, AGV, Shoei... none of them even comes remotely close to an Arai in the comfort and fit department. My present RRV is the best fitting, most comfortable helmet I've ever had: with all vents open it's almost as riding without a helmet.

I absolutely don't have an Arai head (much to my dismay, as they make great lids), but I can tell you that I just got an incredible deal on a Bell Star Carbon from Chapparal. Their customer rating is not too great (many complaints can be found online), but I have to say: paying $370 for a helmet that retails fro $699 (MSRP) that I've been drooling over for a year was pretty sweet. I too wear an L, and while I'm also a frequent flier at Revzilla, they blew out of my size months ago and never dropped the price nearly that low. If you decide to order from Chap, make sure they don't do the "signature required" thing on shipping, or you'll be making a trip to UPS. Helmet arrived promptly, free shipping, and was in perfect condition. For head shape tips, I've found that top-tier Bell = Shoei = AGV = Nexx. FWIW, Nexx is my favorite lid right now, with the Bell Star Carbon a close second.

I have a Scorpion EXO R2000, seldom wear it but it isn't a bad helmet.

My suggestion is to buy the Scorpion EXO from a local shop.

Thanks DR. I have a reasonably well stocked local dealer that I plan to visit. They don't have a great reputation for treating customers well, but I likely can try one the R2000 (if the have it). Does Scorpion helmets offer different size cheek pieces? I know Arai has them.

For years the ONLY helmet I could wear was the Arai Signet GT-R and loved it. In wore a XXXL in that long oval. When they switched to the Profile it was not quite the same shape and did not fit. One day when I was browsing at the Chaparral store about 20 miles from here I tried a Shoei RF-1100 in XXL and damned if it did not fit and fit well! I snapped it up for about $379!! I wore it for about 6 months or more and really liked it when Shoei came out with the "new and improved" RF-1200. I tried it and the fit was NOT the same so I immediately started watching prices on the 1100's as I assumed they would be discounted. What do you know .... Revzilla had them for $279 in white and in my XXL size. My long oval Arai head is very happy in the Shoei. The Shoei is the quietest helmet I have worn, it is light weight, has traditional D-ring strap which I prefer and then shield is easy to swap out and the detents allow me to ride with the shield open and it stays open. The RF-1200 is long oval as well but not the same shape. I would give serious consideration to the Shoei if it fits your noggin. Good Luck!

Looks like there are still RF-1100's out there as well at prices under $300!!

Eddy, these days you can get an Arai helmet straight from Japan for much less (shipping and custom duties included) than it costs in the US, Europe etc. If you are interested, drop me a PM.

Very interesting. I might do that Kakugo after I try on a signet-Q. :grin:

For the rest I've tried Suomy, Premier, AGV, Shoei... none of them even comes remotely close to an Arai in the comfort and fit department. My present RRV is the best fitting, most comfortable helmet I've ever had: with all vents open it's almost as riding without a helmet.

Kaboto . . I cannot say I ever tried on one. I assume RRV is a Kabuto. I'll give them a go. Thanks Kakugo!

The RF-1200 is long oval as well but not the same shape. I would give serious consideration to the Shoei if it fits your noggin. Good Luck!

Thanks Ed. I'll give the RF-1100 a try. However, I started many years ago with Shoei and after having two I was done. The last one gave me very painful red forhead with short rides. Then got the Arai Profile. It was heaven. That said, I have read that Shoei has changed their shape with several models into the narrow head catagory.

Yes, I have spent time over the years at webBikeWorld since they have the longest list of helmets by shape. Unfortunately, yes, it is a bit out-dated. Too bad manufacturers couldn't specify shape.

Wearing the helmet for a while in a store tells you a bunch. I'll be shopping this week and let you know . . . Thanks!

I have what I guess would be an oval head shape and the RF-1100 I got on sale from Revzilla last year fits great. The more I wear it the better it fits. I had tried on the RF-1200 and the GT-Air but I think the 1100 fits better (and was a helluva lot cheaper).

Any advice?

Hi Eddy, Nothing at all constructive to add to this thread.

However, your avatar gives me nightmares.

At all costs I kept my children and now my grandchildren away from helping me 'wash' the bike. I have visions of a gravel filled sponge being rubbed over the wonderful paintwork of my old war horse.

Please help me sleep better by changing the avatar! :-)

Very interesting. I might do that Kakugo after I try on a signet-Q. :grin:

Kaboto . . I cannot say I ever tried on one. I assume RRV is a Kabuto. I'll give them a go. Thanks Kakugo!

OGK Kabuto is mostly known for their cycling helmets. Not really well known outside of Japan and it's a shame since they are both cheaper and better made than Italian-made lids such as Nolan, AGV etc.

Very nice people as well: when I went to the Milan Bike show in 2013 I went to their stand and, upon learning I was a customer, I was treated like royalty. They pretty much "forced me" to try on all their helmet range.

The RRV I was refering to is my present "active" Arai: technically it's called RX7-RRV.

My present OGK Kabuto is an FF5V. It's still manufactured but as been superseded as the top of the line by the RT33.

Any advice?

At all costs I kept my children and now my grandchildren away from helping me 'wash' the bike. I have visions of a gravel filled sponge being rubbed over the wonderful paintwork of my old war horse.

continued hijack:

You think that kid is holding a sponge? It always makes me think of one of those foam sanding pads...

Seriously though, my son has been helping me - and I really do mean helping - wash our vehicles for several years (he turned six a few months ago). First rule: anything that wipes the vehicle is clean - if the sponge/towel/shammy/whatever touches the ground, it goes to the side and new one is used. He started with the less critical areas/less pristine vehicles, but he does really well. It's the same way I learned to wash cars with my grandfather when I was young. When I was 16 I got up the balls - being 16 probably helped - to ask if I could borrow his brand new Cadillac for prom. He said, Sure - but you'd better wash and wax it first; can't you have you picking up a lady in a dirty car. (His car was NEVER dirty, by the way.) Honestly, I was more impressed that he was going to let me wash and wax it without supervision than that he was going to let me drive it.

Anyway, point is, start 'em young and they'll learn it right.

/end hijack

Oh my boy is better than me with regards to noticing details and doing a great job.

We started cleaning things like bicycles and then moved up to motorcycles.

He has his own now. A Kawi 110 dirt bike. It is likely cleaner than my RT (and my RT is quite clean).

That said, I am long overdue to change my avatar. He is now 11 years old and has asked many times for me to change it. Another mission . . .

Any advice?

continued hijack:

You think that kid is holding a sponge? It always makes me think of one of those foam sanding pads...

Seriously though, my son has been helping me - and I really do mean helping - wash our vehicles for several years (he turned six a few months ago). First rule: anything that wipes the vehicle is clean - if the sponge/towel/shammy/whatever touches the ground, it goes to the side and new one is used. He started with the less critical areas/less pristine vehicles, but he does really well. It's the same way I learned to wash cars with my grandfather when I was young. When I was 16 I got up the balls - being 16 probably helped - to ask if I could borrow his brand new Cadillac for prom. He said, Sure - but you'd better wash and wax it first; can't you have you picking up a lady in a dirty car. (His car was NEVER dirty, by the way.) Honestly, I was more impressed that he was going to let me wash and wax it without supervision than that he was going to let me drive it.

Anyway, point is, start 'em young and they'll learn it right.

/end hijack

I have what I guess would be an oval head shape and the RF-1100 I got on sale from Revzilla last year fits great. The more I wear it the better it fits. I had tried on the RF-1200 and the GT-Air but I think the 1100 fits better (and was a helluva lot cheaper).

YES! That was exactly my experience!

Long term Arai Signet GTR user,for my long oval head.

Recently switched to Shoei GT Air,very satisfied with the fit,it's a lot quieter than my prior Arai and I really like the internal sunshield feature.

Now only have to use sunglasses when off the bike,which also helps with helmet comfort!

WebBikeWorld has good online review.

Got it as a very good deal on a very slightly used one over on ADVRider,so can't comment on price.

JR356

Thanks for the thread. My big old, apparently oval, noggin is due for a new bucket.

My last two have been Shoei's. The fit is great but even $100 off my last was $525. Ouch. And I tried on every helmet at every bike shop and retailer in the area.

Check out helmetshop.com down in Daytona

Great prices, free shipping and an extra 10% off using BIKEWEEK as the code for the next couple of days.

I'd strongly advise calling them for the final price ; )

I've bought 3 Arai's from them and nobody does better on pricing

Visited my trustly local dealer this morning. Tried on a bunch of helmets. Unfortunately, the Arai Signet Q is the only one that fit really well. Shoei RF1200 was surprisingly better than my yester year Shoei's. But I felt no real compression of foam on the top sides.

Similar with several Scorpion's EXO T1200 and R700. They didn't have a Scorpion R2000, which I really wanted to try. I tried a Kabuto FF5V and Airoblade and it was very similar to the Shoei RF1200 in terms of fit (very nice helmets BTW). :(

The dealer had some great deals on the Arai Signet Q (last years) at only $420. Unfortunately, not my size. So, I'm keeping my eyes out for a closeout on a Signet Q and somewhere that I can try on a Scorpion R2000. . .

Archived