IGNORED

Bluetooth headset instead of sena10

scott r1200rt

scott r1200rt

Looking for some input on the use of i phones and bluetooth headset instead of the sena10 They seem to work well in a normal environment but not sure how they will work on a motorcycle at speed. So the plan would be to just call my wife on her phone and talk via the bluetooth. This is a plan for just one 1500 mile trip and not a permeant solution, any input would be appreciated.

scott

I don't know of any bluetooth to phone devices that are not attached to your ear in some way or another? Which means you couldn't use them and ride with a helmet. The Sena smh5's are not much more than you are going to spend on a good bluetooth phone setup anyway ( I am thinking of something like the over the road truckers use). The Sena gives you excellent helmet speakers, attaching hardware.

With reasonable cell reception over most of the US these days,why not just call the missus when you stop for breaks?

There are a few phone apps out there now that allow basic tracking,so she can follow you while you are moving,if that is a need/concern.

I have a Sena 5 and that unit is ideal for your intended need.

Plus,you can resell any Sena here for probably 60-75 percent of your initial purchase price.

JR356

I have used the Cardo scala rider (g4) for a few years and it works well at receiving phone calls while on the bike. In fact, most people can't tell I am on the bike when I'm talking to them. Fast or slow doesn't matter while riding, as the sound is clear. It is difficult to call someone while riding as it requires making voice commands in a smart phone through the scala mic. The unit works best at receiving calls and this can be done hands free with voice command.

scott r1200rt

Sorry for the confusion, she would be on the back of the bike, I would use the 2 phones for person to person communication while we ride. Thanks!

Paul In Australia
Sorry for the confusion, she would be on the back of the bike, I would use the 2 phones for person to person communication while we ride. Thanks!

That seems to be overly complicated and expensive. I have Sena smh10 in both helmets and have no issues on intercom at high speed.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here. Seems a bit like trying to re invent the wheel.

Regards

I think you'd be best to get the Sena's for your application. I've had the wife on the back for a nine hour ride and we talked the entire time,...at speed. Senas are a wonderful product.

I agree with the last two posts. I use the SENA SMH10, as does my wife. This setup works well and I could not imagine doing that with two iPhones (assuming I understood what you're proposing)..

You will spend needless money trying to get by. It may work, but you won't be happy.

Bite the bullet. Buy once and be done with it.

You will spend needless money trying to get by. It may work, but you won't be happy.

So, what are you suggesting we purchase?

Thanks

Andy

Paul In Australia

So, what are you suggesting we purchase?

Thanks

Andy

My money is on Sena. 2 years and very happy. My opinion only, but when time comes to renew I will do the same again unless something new comes on the scene that is a quantum leap. I previously had Star Digital. Quality not as good as Sena.

Regards

Paul

The Sena 5 also comes in a dual pack,if you just need communication between the two of you,GPS directions and can handle phone duty.

Where it falls short of the 10 or 20 is bike to bike comm range,but you do not have that need.

The 5s are smaller,less of a big blob hanging off the helmet.

JR356

Sena.

I would suggest stepping up to Sena 10.

There are videos on youtube that compare 10 and the 5.

There many things I like about the 5, but the 10 has better speakers, louder, better battery, not meant for rider-passenger (like the 5) can go Bike to Bike.

Of course, I have been mainly listening to music via bluetooth from my itouch.

My brother bought my extra Sena 10 - so, I guess I will be testing that part out, too.

Sena.

I would suggest stepping up to Sena 10.

There are videos on youtube that compare 10 and the 5.

There many things I like about the 5, but the 10 has better speakers, louder, better battery, not meant for rider-passenger (like the 5) can go Bike to Bike.

Of course, I have been mainly listening to music via bluetooth from my itouch.

My brother bought my extra Sena 10 - so, I guess I will be testing that part out, too.

Depends on which version you compare. My older Sena SMH 10 was good. But the couple year newer SMH5 FM has better speakers and louder volume than the older 10. While the very latest 10 and 20 series may indeed be better than my current 5, It is too the point where I don't think there is all that much room for improvement.

What you give up with the 5 series is intercom range between different bikes. The 5's range is quite a bit shorter. If you use it quite a bit for intercom the 5 series battery gives up in about 7-8 hours where the 10 goes 2-3 hours longer.

I like the smaller size of the 5 series.

I have an O'Neal helmet with Bluetooth that seems to work well for me. I also have one for my grandson and they have a nice intercom setting that works for us.

Can't work the iPhone with most gloves on.

Jus me it works great with music and GPS.

You can answer the phone with the helmet on, but at highway speeds there is to much road / wind noise for me.

...Can't work the iPhone with most gloves on...

I have a newer SENA SMH-10 (where the firmware is upgradeable) and pair it with an iPhone 6 and a NAV V GPS. I use earbuds, so I do not have any helmet speakers. I keep the iPhone in my tank bag, but I can control it by voice command. All I do is press the "phone" button on my SENA and it activates Siri (easy to do with gloves on, by the way). I then simply speak a range of instructions like, "call home", "call Joe Blow", "shuffle all music" (it then plays whatever songs I have loaded on my phone), "pause music", "send text message" (which I can then dictate), "read unread text messages", etc. Now this doesn't mean that I'm doing this constantly, or in heavy traffic etc., but in nowhere Montana (assuming I have cell service), it's nice to be able to use my phone rather effortlessly.

Archived