IGNORED

Cycle cover recommendation

Dave P

My beloved 1100RT will have to park outside during the 2015 season until I construct it's new garage / shop. I'd like to purchase a top of the line cycle cover for this year's outside time. Bike has all the luggage. Any recommendations on a cover? Thanks

For a good sturdy cover that has the bonus that it will not rub the paintwork on windy days try Bike Barn

You will need the touring model for the RT.

Andy

BMW LakeGuy

I have a 03 1150 RT and was looking for an off season cover to cover it during the winter while it sat in my heated shop. I found a brand new BMW cover new in the bag for a K 1200 LT for 90 bucks. I thought wrong cover , probably too big but hey, as long as it's covers it what the heck. I figure it was going to be a thin dust cover for the $$ and that's all I really needed. Turned out to be a nice ,heavy lined and has a draw strap. And it fit perfectly with my luggage on. Very good quality. Got it for 70$ to boot!

My bike has the OEM side cases and the OEM tail box. Are those standard features or optional features (when the bike was new)? A cycle cover place asked me that to determine cover size. Dave

I've had good luck with the covers from Nelson-Rigg. One of mine has to be pushing 18 years old, and I still use it on a pretty regular basis.

I can only compare two - the Dowco Defender shown here vs the EZ Touring Wanderer shown here.

For outside use at home, go with the Dowco Defender. It's very well constructed, fully waterproof, lined, vented, and should not easily scratch your paint due to wind whipping the material. You will need the XL if you want to cover side and top cases.

For hitting the road, the EZ Touring is nice as it is easily packable, but that is it's only advantage over the Dowco cover. It is not fully waterproof, and the material can abrade your paint (particularly your mirror housings) if left on the bike over time through multiple windy days.

As with every accessory, the best you can get is the cover from BMW.

??? for sure I don't agree with this, are you pulling my leg? Is it April the 1st?

I can't really comment too much on any cover, but since I cover my bike up in winter time, even though it is in an (unheated) shed, I have some experience with a related problem.

E.g. critters making a home under the cover. I had just about everything living there, squirrels, chipmunks, mice and snakes, yes snakes!!

So I put a bunch of moth balls in strategic places and place some Warfarin where the mice like to build their nests.

I also take the seats off and take the owners manual out from above the rear fender, to be stored in the house.

Just make sure you read the fine print and get one with a 2year or more guarentee. I've gone through two covers in two years due to sun exposure. However, my application was commuting and parking lot use where I wanted a light weight half cover. Most the heavier full covers last longer in UV environments.

Good luck. Outdoor storage isn't a great thing for the bike. It will get wet regardless due to rapid heat and cool cycles.

Boy, I tell you what, guys. I've been lazily shopping for a cover, now that I'm living under this tropical sun. In the interim, however, I bought a fitted twin bed sheet at goodwill for $4. I have to say, that for $4, this thing FREAKIN' ROCKS!

It fits about like a 1/2 cover on my 11RS. I tied a couple lengths of string at the corners (2' across the front, and the same across the back), which helps keep it in place, and then a mini bungee on either side, hooked onto the brake pedal or what have you. Easy peasy.

Best of all, they're available in all the colors of the rainbow (not to mention rainbow!) and every silly print you can think of. Cookie monster. Sailboats. Floral. You name it! :thumbsup:

Boy, I tell you what, guys. I've been lazily shopping for a cover, now that I'm living under this tropical sun. In the interim, however, I bought a fitted twin bed sheet at goodwill for $4. I have to say, that for $4, this thing FREAKIN' ROCKS!

It fits about like a 1/2 cover on my 11RS. I tied a couple lengths of string at the corners (2' across the front, and the same across the back), which helps keep it in place, and then a mini bungee on either side, hooked onto the brake pedal or what have you. Easy peasy.

Best of all, they're available in all the colors of the rainbow (not to mention rainbow!) and every silly print you can think of. Cookie monster. Sailboats. Floral. You name it! :thumbsup:

You really should use heavy duty nylon straps instead of bungees on that cover - hate to see any pedestrians getting hurt!

You really should use heavy duty nylon straps instead of bungees on that cover - hate to see any pedestrians getting hurt!

Impossible. If some passerby gets hurt from one of these 6" mini bungees, which are stretched about 2" past slack, I'll pay you and them $1000 each.

I was representing the anti-bungee police contingency just for giggles. Personally, a Cookie Monster cover from Goodwill wins idea of the year - kinda like when people waterproofed their V-1s with those mini shower cap thingees.

Archived