IGNORED

Static electricity attracts dust

Sinman

Anyone else have issues with static electricity when polishing their bike?

As I polish, I can actually feel the static building, causing the hair to stand up on my arms. The static attracts dust which is very hard to wipe off. I've tried grounding myself and the bike, but this doesn't seem to help. The painted panniers the worst for doing this. And being a black bike it is very frustrating. I've tried different types of polish to.o with no difference.

Guest Kakugo

I use Menzerna polishing compounds on my bikes which are what German manufacturers use on their high end cars at the factory.

Since they are abrasives and not wax in the classic sense, I have no issues with static.

If I have to use a wax (chiefly when I am lazy) I use a Motul spray called "Wash & Wax" which works very well and gives no problem with static.

I've polished a lot of bikes and cars and never built up static. I wonder if it is because of the surface you are standing on? Are you wearing plastic gloves? What are you using to buff out the polish? (Recalling physics demonstrations with a wad of wool and a rod) I usually use old cotton towels or T shirts. Maybe you should polish barefoot? :/

Danny caddyshack Noonan

This.

Or try fabric softener sheets in your dryer, it might be building on your towels there.

And, give the bike a wipe too.

Works well with reloading powders when they cling to the plastic hopper.

Or, stop giving your bike so much static.

Sinman, you cursed me! I just waxed my 21 year old Miata this morning. When I drove it a couple of miles to the hardware store the lower rear quarter panel is covered in road dust/dirt. There is a construction area at one intersection on the way, but dry dust has been spread for a few blocks in each direction.

I've driven through there often and never had the dirt clinging to the car. Hopefully the static charge will dissipate.

Archived