IGNORED

If you prefer the Mapsource style of file handling over Basecamp, then

ElevenFifty

ElevenFifty

Basecamp is great. When I first installed it, I had a large library of .gdb files from trips I wanted to preserve and eventually, re-ride. I was NOT HAPPY that Garmin chose to eliminate the standard "FILE|OPEN|SAVE|SAVE AS" interface in favor of a single database using 'Collections'. I found it to be unnecessarily crowded, clumsy, and was a bit concerned that ALL my riding history and plans were in one file. I admit to a bit of paranoia but files do get corrupted and I don't like have all my eggs in one basket.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a simple Basecamp launcher that allowed me to manage all my individual trip files in the same Windows standard way that Mapsource used. I now have a standard installer built for it and a simple set of notes regarding it's features and use. If you are interested, PM me and I'll send you a link to download. I call the program BaseMaps. If you like it and continue to use it, then pay it forward and make a contribution to this site.

I am the COO of a 30 year old software company and know what I'm doing. This is a very simple and non-intrusive program. Basecamp works just fine with it. Downloads, upgrades, exports ... everything you do in Basecamp ... is unaffected.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Basecamp is great.

I'm still using MapSource. You've given a reason not to switch over (although you've remedied that). Are there reasons in favor of switching over?

How current is your GPS, Mitch? I've been told that the newer GPSs, like Nav V, Montana, later Zumos work much better with Basecamp. Just don't ask me to explain why, or how, that is. I read that over on ADVRider, where there a couple of guys in the Layin' Down Tracks sub-forum who seem to know what they're talking about.

For what it's worth, I prefer Basecamp (the Mac version) to Mapsource, and interestingly enough, I like that BC uses the database approach, so that waypoints are not created numerous times (like "Home"), when one will do. I understand about files becoming corrupted, so I export "My Collection" on a fairly routine basis to my desktop, then transfer it to my laptop. Of course, I'm barely computer literate, so what do I know? :grin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
How current is your GPS, Mitch?

I'm using a GPSmap 276C. First bought it in 2004, then when it got flaky a few years ago I bought a refurbished replacement unit from Garmin. I recently upgraded my map files, and in talking to Garmin tech support I found out they don't even make this model anymore.

Does that mean it won't work with (or won't work any better with) Basecamp?

markgoodrich

I'm still using Mapsource, primarily because it was such a hassle to learn, years ago, and Basecamp is sufficiently different that I don't want to spend the time to learn it for just two or three long trips a year. Am I understanding your launcher correctly, that it essentially turns Basecamp into an interface close enough to Mapsource that us chickens can use BC without spending a lot of time learning to use it? Thanks.

I'm another that learned and mastered MapSource for creation of custom pavement-based routes on my computer, uploaded to my trusty old Zumo 550 and StreetPilot 2730 units. Seems to me BaseCamp is more oriented to handheld units than how most on this forum use GPS units? OTOH, I'm considering buying a Garmin GPSMAP 64S for 2-feet vs 2-wheeled/4-wheeled use, wherein BaseCamp seems would be preferable.

... Seems to me BaseCamp is more oriented to handheld units than how most on this forum use GPS units?...

I wouldn't say that at all. I'm doing everything in Basecamp that I ever did using Mapsource, i.e., creating waypoints, routes (and tracks from routes), then transferring that data to my GPS (276C at first, then a Montana and now a Navigator V).

I switched to Basecamp in 2010 because I had to, having ditched our PC and moved to an Apple iMac (there was no Mapsource for Mac, it was only Basecamp). Yes, there was a learning curve, but not the big deal that some make it out to be (and I'm no techie, by any means).

ElevenFifty

If you want to try the program out, the setup file and a User Guide in PDF form can be downloaded HERE.

Read the Guide before you start. My email address for questions and help is the last thing in the Guide.

Enjoy and ride safe

Paul In Australia
... Seems to me BaseCamp is more oriented to handheld units than how most on this forum use GPS units?...

I wouldn't say that at all. I'm doing everything in Basecamp that I ever did using Mapsource, i.e., creating waypoints, routes (and tracks from routes), then transferring that data to my GPS (276C at first, then a Montana and now a Navigator V).

I switched to Basecamp in 2010 because I had to, having ditched our PC and moved to an Apple iMac (there was no Mapsource for Mac, it was only Basecamp). Yes, there was a learning curve, but not the big deal that some make it out to be (and I'm no techie, by any means).

+1

Archived