IGNORED

Frogg toggs?

elkroeger

It seems that the weather here is a little unpredictable. It's too hot for the 'stich most of the time, so I'm in the market for an occasional use set of raingear. It would live in my saddle bag and come out every once in a while.

I've heard great things about frogg toggs. Mainly that they're light and cheap (which, incidentally, also counts as the bad stuff I've heard). But are they a reasonable value? I don't expect to stay 100% dry for that kind of money. I just need to avoid that sopping wet sponge program when I get caught out.

And which model? Spring for the fancy units, or just click on the cheapest ones they got?

Any good, similar alternatives you like?

Thanks!

I carried frog toggs for years. I don't feel like they ever really lived up to the hype. I felt they worked "ok" for a quick cloud burst, but I always ended up wet if it was real rain. Overall I wasn't thrilled with the performance. I also thought they were a real pain to get in and out of. I wear a size 13 boot. There was no way I could get them on without removing my boots. They also don't pack any smaller than a regular rain gear.

A few years ago, I finally picked up a set of proper rain gear made by First Gear on clearance from an online site (Newenough.com I believe), and I am MUCH MUCH happier. Its good quality stuff, fits great, packs nice (they have their own built in pouches), and is all day waterproof. I would buy another set in a second, even if I had to pay full retail.

John Ranalletta

My Frog Togg experience was similar. While at the Unrally in Moscow, I bought a light weight set of runners rain wear for use under my BMW riding suit. Still a PITA to stop and put on.

I'd look for motorcycle specific gear. I tried out a pair of the Froggs, and they just weren't up to the task.

I keep a set of Frogg Togg lowers in my travel bag. When wearing my Motoport gear I don't like to stop and put on the inner waterproof liners, the frogg toggs are ok on the bottom. Also a good windbreak for mesh gear. They do flap a bit if on a bike where you get a lot of wind. They are not absolutely waterproof, the seat area can get wet after a while.

But for a quick shower they work well. Note that there are many versions of these now. I have the lesser ones I am sure. There are some that look a lot more substantial.

Coming back from the MotoGP in Austin last weekend, I put on the top part of my froggtoggs. It flapped terribly, so I had to put it on under my mesh jacket. It kept me MOSTLY dry for the 6 hours I was in the rain.

Agree with what others have said. I found over time that they shredded from flapping in the wind -- although they did last a couple seasons.

I do have a pair that I use for rain gear for hiking, etc. They're fine for that. They do breath well and are a lot cheaper than Gortex.

I don't ride a lot in the rain, so a set of Frog Toggs generally lasts me about a decade. I haven't had any problem with shredding, possibly because wind protection is so good on an RT. However, they changed country of manufacture in the past decade, and the ankle zippers on the new pants broke after only 2 uses. I still had the old ones, so I just removed the old zippers, and put them in the new.

They can work.

But there are different versions w/some doing better.

AFA putting them, or any rain gear over boots, remember,

carry a small garbage bag, put over boot, slide gear on, easy.

I've had good results, mostly, but have seen others who have had them wear quickly.

All good comments above. One great use I have been told is that if you are planning a wet all day ride,were the Toggs under the rain gear to keep all day dry.

We have had a few sets of Frog Toggs. On a 6 week jaunt to Alaska the wife wore through hers (thighs) with velcro from her gloves. The company replaced them, no questions asked. They do not tolerate exhaust pipes. I do get a wet crotch in a heavy rain, but then again I am usually damp to wet by the time I give in and stop to put them on anyway. They are light, easy to pack and for the $$ I'd buy them again.

Second Keith's view on First Gear same supplier. I recently added some new gear I got at Bass Pro Shop from Columbia. I think the pants were $50 and don't remember the jacket. The pants fit right over my size 11 are all day comfortable. I wore them all day long for 2 days straight at the MotoGP in Austin. They fold up pretty small.

I bought a set a few years ago after losing my beloved MotoLine Goretex suit. Then rode up to northern MI for a fall campout with our club. Of course it rained all weekend, and the Frogg Toggs were never up to the task.

Major leakage through the wrists, which then let water into the Goretex gloves.

Major leakage around the neck which let ice cold water down the back.

Major leakage in the crotch area, letting one feel as though they forgot their Depends.

Save your money and invest in a BMW Klimakomfort suit, which is brilliantly engineered IMHO.

RPG

There are so many good waterproof motorcycle jackets, pants, suits available. Why risk poor quality and performance when better is out there.

I just purchased an Olympia Horizon suit for SWMBO -- $89 jacket, $79 pants. If they are as waterproof and durable as the reviews suggest, that will be trivial $/year for no-question-it-works rain protection for several years to come.

I do the same thing in an Aerostich Roadcrafter, but I live in the mid-Atlantic. A fully water-proof suit ain't much fun in the OP's tropical location -- I suspect that is why he only wants an at-the-ready rain suit stashed on the bike.

I'll chime in. I have a pair of toggs that I bought 5 years ago from a co rider that had them for a year and never used them, who had bought them from a rider who never used them...cost me $25 and they looked to be brand new. Only down side was they were size large and I use xl, but for that kind of $ what the heck. I think maybe that's why I don't have problems with mine, there's not enough fabric left to flap. I have used them twice (should have been 3 times but that's a different head cold story),1st time I woke up to a flooded campsite at a Rally and it was still raining hard. Put my mesh gear and boot on 1st then the toggs, with the toggs hoody on under my helmet. Two and a half hours of highway in heavy rain and I was dry. Second time I saw the very dark clouds ahead and pulled under an over pass after the 1st drops hit, helmet off, toggs on, and away I went...until the lightning struck nearby. I do not know what toggs these are, I pulled them out and each piece only states Frog Toggs outer wear 100 percent polypropylene. Hope this helps.

P.S. whatever you get try them on several times before you need them...the time I was under the overpass putting my toggs on two full dress Harleys pulled in and asked me to show them how to put their Harley rain gear on...just priceless.

Thanks for all the input guys! Just what the doctor ordered...

Sounds to me like for the money, and for the proposed use and (realistic) expectations, the cheapo frogg toggs will fit the bill. I'll look into the suggested alternatives though, just to cover my bases.

As for the alternative of buying good, proper rain gear - the wife and I each have a 2 pc roadcrafter that we're very pleased with. We both commuted in Seattle for years, among other long distance trips. If I could give it 6 stars, I would.

The reason for the lightweight cheapo raingear is that here in Hawaii (we're new here), it's just too dang hot to poke around town in the 'stich on a regular basis. We both have mesh gear now, and it's pretty much the only way to go. Showers are more frequent than I would have guessed, however. (I don't know what I expected, out here in the middle of the ocean).

Given that it's hot, I'm not that concerned with getting a little wet. It's not like Seattle in February, where you get wet, and it's a real problem.... And as far as shredding in the wind goes, I don't think that'll be a huge problem either. Even though we're on the "big" island, one lap around this place is only about 200 miles, Generally the speed limit is 35, 45 or 55 mph. There won't be any all-day rides at 80, like Montana.

I appreciate all the good info.

I keep frog togs in my saddle bag. Love them, pack down nice, and never got wet. I found they help with staying warm as well, as they keep they seem to help with wind.

Look for the road toad jacket and pants, they are MC specific (or were). I got mine at dicks sporting goods..

I'm pretty much where everyone else is. They were my first set of rain gear. I still have them around the house. Worked ok for a quick cloudburst, but any extended time in the rain and you WILL be wet. Best move I ever made was going to Stich...

But if you aren't planning on doing any extended riding in them, they will do in a pinch, cheap easy to pack. I think however, I may opt for a better rainsuit if I knew I was going to be in them for more than 15 minutes.

Archived