IGNORED

HID conversion for a '12 RT

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I'm considering upgrading the headlights of my '12 RT to HID. I see that there are kits specifically made for Canbus systems. Some kits say that they are specifically made for and are all inclusive for BMW motorcycles. From what I have read so far it looks like the way to go is a 35W 4300k system? How do I choose a brand and how hard are these kits to install? For those of you that have gone down this path before me please give me your opinions. Thank you.

Doug

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Sort of depends upon what you are looking for. Better high beam or better low beam illumination....or both.

Did my high beam almost immediately after getting the bike. Chose not to do the low beams to not upset a pattern that I thought was about perfect. The high beam did pick up a bit of a hot spot dead center in the road about 75 feet out. 35W 4k or 5k.

I bought a canbus compliant H7 system off of ebay with a digital ballast. Given the very rapid evolution of the HID after market in the last 5 years, that system is likely gone the way of gooney birds.

I wouldn't spend more than $100 per kit though.

IIRC, you just have to modify the plastic cap on the back. Other than that, plug and play. I think I did mine will taking apart the front end down to the instrument cluster for another reason. Bunch of youtube vids out there with "how to".

Many here, including me, have had good luck with DDM Tuning kits. I got the 4300k set. The 4300k is the white light and not the bluer of the higher k's.

The kit comes with everything you need and is simple enough. You just pop your old bulbs out, drill the cover 1", install new bulbs. You may need to wiretap the power in but that's easy enough. I removed the speakers from the pods and placed the ballast in the pod locations.

Shipping may take some time, kit is coming from China.

newlightsfw.png

Some mount the ballasts to the front framework with cable ties.

There is also a good spot for ballasts in the nacelle between the bottom of the headlight shell and the top of the oil cooler opening. Secure the ballast in place with some good double stick mounting tape. The advantage is that the headlight, ballast and wiring all come off the bike as part of the same assembly, simplifying future repair work. (ie., no extra charges by a dealer) The disadvantage is that you need to remove the the headlight assembly to reach that location.

I don't have a sound system so I placed the ballasts in the space that would have been occupied by the speaker cones. Almost a year old now, 10k+ miles no problems.

Doug_Baliko

Since I never use the speakers I may pull the front speakers and use that space for them. Thanks again.

Doug

That's where mine are. I pulled the speakers and put mine there. I've had them on my bike now for 40K miles. VERY rarely one bulb doesn't fire up, but a quick on/off fixes it.

• 1 month later...
Doug_Baliko

I just got around to installing my set of Lumen Exports Can Bus HID low beams and it's about as simple and plug and play as it could be. It took me 4 times as long to take the bike apart and put it back together then the light install took me. Even with having to screw around with those damn headlight clips. :Cool:

Doug

Doug_Baliko

What is the life expectancy of the HID bulbs compared to the standard H7 halogens? I would assume that they last far longer. I always carried a spare set of H7's with me. Is there any need to buy and carry a spare HID bulb?

Doug

They generally last longer, much longer. The kicker is now you have 4 components that can fail for 2 light sources. If you're going to carry spares you need to have a ballast and a bulb. If you have both it makes trouble shooting easy. I have never carried spares.

Doug_Baliko
They generally last longer, much longer. The kicker is now you have 4 components that can fail for 2 light sources. If you're going to carry spares you need to have a ballast and a bulb. If you have both it makes trouble shooting easy. I have never carried spares.

Thanks Gary.

Doug

I just carry one of the old halogen H7 bulbs as a spare. I kept the halogen high beam, so it works for that. If needed, I can also re-install it as a low beam by just unplugging the ballast. But since I have two low beams, I'd probably just wait until I had a replacement.

I do the same as Larry. I have one of my halogen bulbs as a spare and since I also have a pair of LED driving lights, I figure I can always wait until daylight to change one of the HIDs out if necessary. It's overkill and a moot point for me really as I try to start early, though after sunrise, and finish my day before sunset if I'm on a trip.

What is the life expectancy of the HID bulbs compared to the standard H7 halogens? I would assume that they last far longer. I always carried a spare set of H7's with me. Is there any need to buy and carry a spare HID bulb?
I have all 3 headlights as HIDs. I go through a headlight (one of the lows) about every 4 years. The bulbs are about $30 for a pair (shipped).

I don't carry a spare bulb. I've got two others if one goes out as well as twin sets of LEDs under the mirrors that throw 3K lumens each as well. I can wait to get a new bulb when one goes out (and if I were really anal I could use a stock bulb since the wiring for the HID is non-destructive).

Archived