IGNORED

Do I want a dual-sport helmet?

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Both of my current helmets, a Shoei Multitec and an Arai Profile, are overdue for replacement based on age. Current bikes are as shown in my sig below. I have an oval or round oval head. I currently use the Profile when I'm riding the Kawi, mainly because the Multitec is too noisy on a naked bike. My off-road use is, so far, quite limited. Mostly it's a couple of miles of dirt road going to and from my volunteer job. But it might expand.

I'll probably replace the Multitec with a Neotec, if it fits. I like the modular helmet for sport-touring use. I understand it's a lot quieter than the Multitec. Should I get a more off-road oriented helmet for riding the Kawi? I'm thinking something like the Arai XD4, that still has a visor, but which can be used with goggles if the need arises (although not the XD4. I tried one on, and it's not long-oval enough for my head).

I could, of course, just get the Neotec first and see how it works on the Kawi before deciding whether to get a second helmet at all.

So, thoughts on dual-sport vs. full-face helmets for limited dual-sport riding?

TripleThreat

A dual sport helmet is great at relatively low speeds, especially when riding in dusty conditions when goggles are most beneficial. You can even get by with a dual sport helmet when making hi speed runs for fairly short distances. However, anything 60 MPH for much more than 30 minutes can put a real strain on your neck from the increased drag created by the visor.

I did an 1800 mile remote road and off road tour of Utah a couple of years ago on a KTM 640 Adventure and without goggles, that entire trip would have been brutal, especially given that I wear contacts. Dust + Contacts = Inability to even keep your eyes open...

Depending on how dust the conditions are when you ride the KLX, I'd say it's a wise investment.

You can always pick up a cheap model just to test it out before dumping a bunch of money on an Arai (my helmet of choice as well - Profile fits me better than any helmet I've ever owned.)

Jeff

Morning Bill

A agree with Jeff on the off-road helmet, if using a dedicated off road helmet then a GOOD set (or 2) of goggles is probably a must, along with good foot protection & good hand protection.

I ride a LOT of off-road, probably at speeds, at or above, what most ride on-road, so I do dress for difficult encounters like tree limbs, big hidden rocks, & tree roots, missed turns, & my favorite --"DEEP gullies" that just appear out of nowhere.

I'm not much help to you for on-road full face helmets as I seldom wear a full face helmet & then only when it's below 25°f.

It doesn't sound like (at the moment) you are going to need anything special for an off-road helmet as it doesn't sound like your are riding very far or fast off-road.

As you expand your off-roading then you can choose a helmet for the type of riding you intend. (a great way to get a look at off-road gear THAT WORKS) is to join an off-road riding group then do some of their rides.

Most dedicated off-road groups offer different difficulty choices in their trail & road offerings from very experienced (re hardcore) to more gentle routes & roads. A good way to get your feet wet here is to choose the BIG BIKE trails as they are usually not as aggressive & difficult as the dedicated smaller bike single tracks.

What you might do in the mean time is dedicate one or your soon-to-be-retired helmets for off-road usage only. If you get semi-serious about off road riding you will TRASH a good (expensive_ helmet) in no time as grit gets in everywhere, & the visor gets scratched up, & the outer painted surface will look like it got in a cat fight. My personal off-road helmets all look like they were used as a medieval battering rams on a castle walls.

Guest Kakugo

I used to ride my Transalp a lot in the dirt with a system helmet (Shoei Multitec, OGK Ibuki etc). Mind I didn't take the thing on goat trails (the RT has seen worse ;) ), usually dirt roads around here that allowed me to save a lot of time on commuting.

Never had a problem at all.

I've found that the most comfortable helmet for my dual sport bikes and ATV is my modular Nolan. I had a designated off road helmet and googles back when I was wearing glasses, and that set up limited my peripheral vision and was a real head jerker when I was running down the road at speed when there was any kind of cross wind.

I initially used my HJC modular and it was much more comfortable that the off road helmet, but the Nolan has a much wider field of view so I switched.

I would hold off if I were you and just use your modulars. Even on the ATV when riding in a group I was fine without the googles. I just pulled back a bit to stay out of the dust since there is no good reason to ride right on someone's tail unless you were in a race.

BTW, I never miss the visor from the off road helmet.

If you get semi-serious about off road riding you will TRASH a good (expensive_ helmet) in no time as grit gets in everywhere, & the visor gets scratched up, & the outer painted surface will look like it got in a cat fight.

Yup.....thats what is going on with my Shoei RF-1100 right now. After my trip out to Colorado for the UN 2 years ago, none of the vents or shield mechanism work smoothly anymore. There is grit in every crack and crevasse on the helmet. I've done my best to clean it out, but you can't get it all. Plus, I continue to ride dirt and gravel roads on a somewhat regular basis.

On the other hand, I know I wouldn't have wanted to wear a helmet with a visor for the 3600 miles to get to Colorado and back. Taking two helmets was possible, but seemed ridiculous. I kind of wish I would have now.

roadscholar

Hey Bill, it's too bad the XD4 doesn't fit you well because it is by far the best helmet I've ever had. I've got a couple Quantum II's for when it's cold out (anything below about 55 gets chilly in the XD4), have had an RF1000 which I never cared much for, and a long line of Nolan flips. The XD4 flows air almost like an open flip and let's face it, you really don't want to crash when they're in the up position.

As far as the visor, it's not a problem for me because if I'm going any distance it's usually behind a sizable w/s or fairing. It works fine with a GS, RT, and even a GT, air just has to mostly go over it. The visor detaches easily if needed and there is nothing better when riding into the sun. Even on a small DS it's comfy for all day rides.

Here's a couple links with more info on fitment and discussing comparables.

https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=132

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873399

IMG_1014-M.jpg

I have two, one Arai profile (looking to replace with Arai Signet Q) and one off road helmet. Signet Q for daily commuting, off road helmet for all dual sport roads.

Unfortunately currently in off road helmets the XD4 is the most "long oval" on the market. and as you noted the XD4 is really a mid oval design. So far I have tried many helmets and non fit like the new Arai Signet Q. There is a thread in Adv rider discussing Adv or motocross helmets and the lack of long oval design in this segment.

For my riding style (I trailer to all my dual sport riding locations) I really like the motocross/adv helments with googles vs a traditional helmet. Better cooling, better visibility, and during rides and stops I take my googles off. The few times I have had to get on a paved road for more than a mile or two, I have disliked the off road helmet. I really notice the bill in the wind. your experience maybe different. with this said I would find it hard to use an off road helment with say a 650 - 1300 dual sport bike.

so for me I use an offroad helmet on all my dual sport rides. keep in mine, my definition of dual sport is 450 cc thumper riding as much single track as possible, then a short pavement ride to the truck and trailering the bike back home.

Bill...I went from a Multitec to a Neotec about 2 years ago. The Neotec is much quieter, has much better ventilation on top with flow through, chin guards and other winter help, comes with the pinlock as well. The Neotec is a fine helmet, but a couple things I noticed different than the Multitec. The face pads in mine were too tight and I couldn't break them in. I ended up having to guy smaller set and after 2 years still a bit tight...but effective. The chin strap buckles slightly different. It still has the Dring and a snap, but the snap is kind of recessed now. You will have to fish to snap it. When I have the top vent open all the way you can really feel the air; However it whistles a bit. I gladly keep that whistle for all the new air I get and need in Texas heat. It feels a bit heavier on my head than the Multitec.

Would I buy it again is always the measure...Yep...just wished it was a tiny bit lighter. The pull down sunvisor is the cat's meow.

Bill_Walker

Thanks for the tips, gents. It sounds like sticking to street helmets makes sense for me unless I start riding a lot more dirt.

Re finding a local group to ride with, a guy next to me at a stoplight shortly after I got the Kawi recommended I join San Diego Adventure Riders. I went to the web site, registered, and waited for the activation email from the admin, which never came. Checked my spam filters, nothing. I tried to register again, and it said I couldn't because I was already registered. No way to contact the admin, either. It's apparently a group that doesn't want to grow. I'm sure there are other groups. I'll have to go looking.

I'm not too sure how much off road riding I want to do anyway, given that pretty much everybody I know who has taken it up late in life (including myself, as roadscholar knows) has broken one or more bones doing it.

P.S. I just noticed I typed "round oval" in my original post, when I meant to type "long oval". But you all seem to have figured that out from the helmets I have. I was rather pleasantly surprised when the Multitec fit me, because it was the first non-Arai helmet that ever did (previously had a Signet GT and an open face with visor whose model name I've forgotten).

FYI, while looking online last night at various sites, I think I saw an Icon dual-sport helmet listed at Cycle Gear as having a long oval shape. Why do neither CG, Revzilla or helmetshop.com let you search by helmet shape? Grr.

I just replaced my Arai Profile with a Scorpion EXO R2000. This Scorpion is a oval. It is slightly less oval than the Profile, but I don't seem to be getting a sore forhead. I too don't fit in most helmets out there due to my long oval noggin.

The R means it is their race helmet which is narrow and tight at the base. I personally like it that way since it doesn't interfer with my jacket collar or shoulder armor as much. Overall, the helmet seems just as good as the Arai. Quality is good. Airflow is better. Visor fine adjustment is something I still need to get use too. Snell 2010 certified. Looks great and I now have $200 bucks to spare.

That said, it likely won't be a great helmet for your low noise requirement. I think it is louder than the Arai while riding on the RT with windshield all the way down.

You might also consider a Nolan n104 evo. It apparently is narrow/oval. I didn't try it because I have a thing against polycarbonate shells.

As far as the visor, it's not a problem for me because if I'm going any distance it's usually behind a sizable w/s or fairing. It works fine with a GS, RT, and even a GT, air just has to mostly go over it. The visor detaches easily if needed and there is nothing better when riding into the sun. Even on a small DS it's comfy for all day rides.

I've read similar reviews about the XD4. I almost considered one for riding the RT, but I do ride when it gets cold. I'm quite sure it is a oval shape.

roadscholar

I've read similar reviews about the XD4. I almost considered one for riding the RT, but I do ride when it gets cold. I'm quite sure it is a oval shape.

I did a little test this evening. After putting a new battery and cleaning up my 04 RT that had been sitting awhile, I ran it out on the freeway a ways at just over double digits wearing the XD4. With the stock w/s up (I'm 5'8 and can just look over it) the helmet was completely calm, no different than a Quantum II. Except that I was getting some air flow under the chin bar. Anything above 50* or so, I like it.

I'm with Bill on the XD4. Love mine. And you can use it with goggles and still pull down the visor. :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

This topic has been an informative read. I picked up a 2006 Yamaha XT225 last month, and other than a sand bike in Saudi Arabia, this will be my first DP experience. I got the XT mainly to practice my low speed skills, in hopes that this experience will transfer to the R1100RT. I plan to ride some fire roads, possibly some forest riding trail, but north Georgia mountains are far from desert conditions, so I'm not expecting a lot of dust, and for the moment I think I'm going to stick with my Nolan N102.

Archived