IGNORED

Spektrum LED bulbs

kltk165

szurszewski

Saw them in the mag as well. Appealing but WAY too much money for my budget! ($120 for a set...ouch)

Doug_Baliko

After reading the article in ON I ordered a set for my RT that haven't arrived yet.

Doug

Will Stagg

You know, I seen 'em at the local "AutoZone"........very very bright. Box said "canbus compatible" $30/bulb came in red, amber and clear.

Bunch of us over on ADVRider bought em on an intro special a couple months ago.

Truly plug and play and they are BRIGHT.

Well worth the $$

JR356

Doug_Baliko

I received mine today and put in the rears. They claim that they are 8 times brighter than the standard filament bulb and I would have to say that they are probably right. They are SO much brighter! They plug in just like a bulb and blink at the same rate. So far I see no negative issues, and they are really bright. I'll put the fronts in tomorrow night after work.

Doug

I've had them for the last two months & really like them. Other riders have remarked on the (noticeably) increased brightness.

The "'white" is advertised to be 8x's brighter, amber (what I mounted) @ 3x's, and I believe it. Don't know about the red.

Consider buying rear set only; it's half the cost & really helps being seen from behind. Front of my bike is pretty conspicuous (MotoLights, brighter bulbs) as are most bikes, plus I can see ahead. Not so behind me; that's why/where this is money well spent.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Do they make a version that includes a running-light feature, like a standard 1157 dual-filament bulb?

Do they make a version that includes a running-light feature, like a standard 1157 dual-filament bulb?

I'm also interested in this! The spec on these LED bubls is that the pins are 150 degrees (as opposed to 180deg for the 1157's)

Chris

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

I read with interest the May ON mag. article about these new CanBus LED bulbs, and like one poster, bought a pair of brake light bulbs for my 2011 RT at Auto Zone for about $26 bucks. I installed both and to my surprise, the brake light was LESS bright that the original bulbs, even though they were supposed to be 8x brighter.

So, why dimmer? My take is...look at the design. A bunch of little LED lights around the side is plenty bright, but only three LEDs on the end that points to the bike's rear. Maybe brake reflectors designed for these bulbs to direct all light rearward would do the trick, but for now my original brake bulbs are back in.

Just my $0.02.

I read with interest the May ON mag. article about these new CanBus LED bulbs, and like one poster, bought a pair of brake light bulbs for my 2011 RT at Auto Zone for about $26 bucks. I installed both and to my surprise, the brake light was LESS bright that the original bulbs, even though they were supposed to be 8x brighter.

So, why dimmer? My take is...look at the design. A bunch of little LED lights around the side is plenty bright, but only three LEDs on the end that points to the bike's rear. Maybe brake reflectors designed for these bulbs to direct all light rearward would do the trick, but for now my original brake bulbs are back in.

Just my $0.02.

Afternoon Michael

That is one of the drawbacks to LED lighting. It is very directional so they might be brighter in a specific measurement direction but if the brightness isn't pointed at the receiving persons eyes they could very well produce less noticeable rear lighting.

Plus many LED arrays show up very poorly in direct sun light.

The LED light color should also be in sync with the lens color. (some LED's lose a LOT of intensity when filtered through certain color lens's)

Some automobiles & trucks are using LED's but a lot of time, money, & testing is spent getting ALL the bulbs pointed just-so, & getting the wavelength just right, to be visible in the direct sun.

Also, most aftermarket LED bulbs are not DOT approved so are illegal to use. That usually isn't a big deal (most LEO's lack the expertise to check) until you get hit in the rear & the other driver's attorney blames the non DOT approved equipment on your bike as the cause.

The Spektrum bulbs are running about $120 for a set of 4. I'm assuming they'd be about half that for a set of two. That being said, are you sure you got the Spektrum bulbs and not a lesser quality/brand of LED?

Just my $0.02.

Archived