IGNORED

What's the Best Way to clean oil off a tire?

Bullett

Dinosaur or synthetic?

;)

Water and dish detergent should work. I use Simple Green because I keep a spray bottle handy in the garage.

Rinse well with water.

Dinosaur or synthetic?

;)

Water and dish detergent should work. I use Simple Green because I keep a spray bottle handy in the garage.

Rinse well with water.

Synthetic. Thanks for the info!

I don't think Jan will let me do that to his RT, even if it was my fault the oil got all over his tire. :dopeslap:

I'd prolly just wipe it down with a paper towel, and then be a little careful for the first several miles.

Is it something you rode through, or did you somehow spill oil onto the tire?

sardineone
How about spraying some brake cleaner on a rag and wiping it down?

+1

except after the initial wipe, spray liberally into the tread as well. I had a bike years ago belched out oil on my rear tire on a trip. I used brake clean and the tire did fine afterwards.

Dave_zoom_zoom
Like the subject says, what do y'all think?

Hi Sharon

If I wanted to remove the oil but not punish the tire, I'd use Dawn dish washing detergent in a very warm water/soapy solution.

Good Luck!

Dave

I'd prolly just wipe it down with a paper towel, and then be a little careful for the first several miles.

Ya'll are really getting old and slow around here. I told her it would be less than 15 minutes before somebody asked about this.

We used something called "SuperClean" which is a Simple Green competitor for about 1/3 the price. The guy at NAPA recommended it. I sprayed it on until it was running off, then sprayed it again. After a few minutes washed it off with a garden hose. It left the tire looking and feeling clean.

I'll ride easy for ten miles, or so.

I don't think Jan will let me do that to his RT, even if it was my fault the oil got all over his tire. :dopeslap:

Well, it was your fault. The first time. Now, not so much.

Ya'll are really getting old and slow around here. I told her it would be less than 15 minutes before somebody asked about this.

:lurk:...

It seems that while I was busily attempting to destroy my final drive, somebody removed and replaced my oil filter, but left the old gasket in place, so there were two gaskets. It is truly remarkable how fast an RT can pump 3.5 quarts of oil onto the ground. As well, it is remarkable that this could happen without the rider noticing. The wheel slipping as I started up the driveway did seem odd. Sharon making all sorts of strange signals at me seemed odd, by the time I had circled the drive back to her, 100' or so, all the lights on dash were flashing and that seemed odd too. I shut the engine down to find a big pool of oil where I had started the bike, that I ridden through, a fairly nice trail over the 100' or so I rode, and another reasonable pool where I parked.

The bike ran a total of maybe 30 s, and was shut within one or two seconds of the dash lighting up. New filter and some oil and that, at least, all seems fine. An investment in kitty litter has also been made. I need to go out and scoop it all up now.

Then I buggered the FD housing while replacing the outer seal. Figured there was good chance that would leak. It was fine just sitting there. So I got everything all cleaned up and went for a ride. Now I have FD oil all over everything.... :dopeslap:

So Sharon was guilty of the big mess with no real damage and I am guilty of the little mess with lots of damage.

There, you have it, two good ways to get oil all over your tire.

Dave_zoom_zoom

WOW! Sorry to hear your bad news.

They these things can come in threes.

I really hope tomorrow is good to you. :)

Dave

FlyingFinn
We used something called "SuperClean" which is a Simple Green competitor for about 1/3 the price.

I'm sure you're aware, but as a heads-up for others...

That Super Clean stuff is really harsh on paint.

Undiluted, it easily eats into paint pretty much instantly.

I've managed to dull and cause streaks on painted parts of my old 4Runner with it, and I've seen BMW FD and wheel paint being damaged by it too.

Archived