IGNORED

R-1100 RT dripping oil?

Fraidycat

Stored on the center stand all winter---and now showing a very slow drip of oil which does not seem to be sourced at the drain plug. There is no drip showing at the drainplug but the three fins on the right side of the engine appear wet and the drip is coming off the empty threaded 'tap' at the rear of the engine block near the centerstand pivot. Where could this oil be coming from?

Pictures available to anyone who would give me an email address to send to---I don't remember how to post pictures here. (lynnandnancy@gmail.com)

Afternoon Fraidycat

Oil usually leaks down so look above where the oil is dripping from.

Maybe from oil temp sensor area or oil thermostat area.

You will probably have to clean it up then watch it carefully for oil leak.

Oil likes to leak down then along depressions, or along gasket seams, or drip down wires or hoses. It can travel a long ways from original point of leak to where it drips off the bike.

Thanks Dirt Rider and Selden. I will try t post a picture here---not sure it I am doing it right so it may not appear?

IMG_1012.jpg

evidently not but does show a link which will take you to the picture if you want to see it. Meantime, I'll follow Dirt Riders advise and look upwards for the source.

Mod edit: fixed link

szurszewski
Thanks Dirt Rider and Selden. I will try t post a picture here---not sure it I am doing it right so it may not appear?

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss307/Deseretrider/IMG_1012.jpg

evidently not but does show a link which will take you to the picture if you want to see it. Meantime, I'll follow Dirt Riders advise and look upwards for the source.

You have the right URL - you just need to add the tags as Selden said above - so it looks like this:

- your URL here -

or, in the reply editor window, click the fourth button from the left with the little gif pic, and paste the URL into the popup window.

Morning Fraidycat

There is no visible signs of where that oil is coming from in the picture you posted.

With the bike being stored for a long time, & on the center stand, & with oil dripping off the engine where your picture shows-- there is an above average chance the oil is coming from the rear main seal area. (some just do that during long storage)

"If you can", try putting a white glove on (or use a white paper towel) & reach up on the rear engine porch to see if you can find any oil residue there. If so then a good possibility that the rear main seal seeped a bit during storage (not unusual).

If you find oil there wipe up as much as you can then ride the bike for a while to see if the seepage stops. If it does then you just have a little storage seepage & no big deal. If it continues to drip off the engine you will have to remove plastic panels & try to find the root of the oil leak.

If you DO find oil on the top of that engine rear porch, then in a lot of cases, switching to a dino (non synthetic) engine oil will stop the seep, or add a little seal conditioner (oil stop leak) to your engine oil (not a lot though). Or try using older car high mileage engine oil as that contains lots of seal conditioner.

1100%20eng%20oil%20leak_zpszbyijqbo.jpg

Archived