IGNORED

Head shape

Coinneach

I'm supremely confused.

My basic helmets have always been HJC full-face, and HJC is known for round-headedness. My last Arai, a Quantum, was also round. My new Signet Q is a long oval, which I chose based on this:

354754_original.jpg

To me, that's pretty obviously a long oval. Circumference is 57, over the top from brows to occiput is 35cm, ear-to-ear is 27. But, and it's a big one, the round lids fit me great, while the Signet is loose fore and aft.

I tried on another HJC this afternoon, a CS-R2. It fits my dome perfectly.

So, somebody please 'splain this to me. How does a not-round head come to prefer round lids?

Because round isn't really round - it's oval. Lots of head shapes out there. My circumference is 59cm, but I'm guessing a bit narrower than yours. I can't get near a normal helmet shape and must stay with the XL long ovals that Arai makes.

face-shape.jpg

Here is a webBikeWorld piece.

So, somebody please 'splain this to me. How does a not-round head come to prefer round lids?

Um, more room for your ears? :grin:

In any case, that's the most interesting selfie I've seen in awhile...

Um, more room for your ears? :grin:

In any case, that's the most interesting selfie I've seen in awhile...

You know who else was a Roundhead? CROMWELL.

Update:

The Helmet Center up in north Phoenix fitted me for a Defiant today and it's amazing, very much like my old Quantum (most favoritest helmet ever). I should have gone there in the first place; if you're local and haven't checked it out, I very highly recommend it.

I have a long oval noggin. How am I sure? All non-oval helmets hit my forhead hard. It takes only a minute on my head and I feel that red spot developing on my forehead.

I've never fit in a Shoei or a HJC. And I did a fair amount of looking this spring at some lids that folks said would fit a long oval.

Round shape is just a "normal" fit which still is very oval. I suspect it is something some marketing person came up with. There currently is no substitute to visiting a helmet store and trying on a BUNCH of helmets. You can limit the choices a little by researching on-line. But the ultimate choice should be after a fit check and perhaps a ride.

I wish your classified ad came a few weeks ago. I just got a Scorpion. BTW, the ad doesn't say what size.

BTW, the ad doesn't say what size.

Actually it does in the body, just not in the title.

Arai stocking dealers are very thin on the ground, for whatever reason. You go to any shop and there are Shoeis (which do not now and have never worked for me) stacked to the ceiling, but The Helmet Center is the only one I've found here with more than one or two Arais. Makes it tough to try them on.

Bill_Walker
I have a long oval noggin. How am I sure? All non-oval helmets hit my forhead hard. It takes only a minute on my head and I feel that red spot developing on my forehead.

I've never fit in a Shoei or a HJC. And I did a fair amount of looking this spring at some lids that folks said would fit a long oval.

I have the same problem. Except that the Shoei Multitec and now Neotec fit me. Before them I had an Arai Signet GT and then an Arai Profile, because those were the only helmets I could find that didn't give me a headache.

I have a very expensive head.

I have the same problem. Except that the Shoei Multitec and now Neotec fit me. Before them I had an Arai Signet GT and then an Arai Profile, because those were the only helmets I could find that didn't give me a headache.

I have a very expensive head.

Funny how they make the long oval people pay thru the nose. You would think one of the other makers would see that there is a market for that shape of a helmet.

Bill_Walker
Funny how they make the long oval people pay thru the nose. You would think one of the other makers would see that there is a market for that shape of a helmet.

Indeed. Especially at a lower price point (although I'm happy to pay for Arai/Shoei quality, and would have bought a Schuberth if it fit). Maybe there just aren't that many of us.

I recently picked up a Scorpion EXO R2000 to replace my Arai Profile. I find it just as good of quality and $200 cheaper. A bonus is that it seems to fit my long oval.

Archived