IGNORED

System case latch

Coinneach

My right case's internal aft latch (on the left as you look into the case) appears to be broken. This is not the latch that holds the case to the frame, it's one of the two that holds the lid closed. Should I worry about fixing it, and if so, do I have any options aside from buying a complete internals kit?

If it's the female or tab with a slot or hole that's broken off, you can pop rivet the piece back on using some thin aluminum to brace it or replace the lid.

If it's the male end on the bag, I'm not sure the mechanism latch kit will help you.

It's the male end. The right side, I can see it moving when I move the handle. The left side stays retracted.

Pretty sure it's used bag time. The latch box is to address the exterior hook that holds the bag to the bike breaking.

Pretty sure it's used bag time. The latch box is to address the exterior hook that holds the bag to the bike breaking.

Guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The latch that holds the case to the bike is fine. It's the *inside* latch that holds the lid to the case body that's broken. The case is secure on the frame.

Maybe some pics will help. Thousand words and all that.

358513_original.jpg

358898_original.jpg

It's called the "multi-purpose box" and sells for about $160. You have to drill out a bunch of pop rivets, then re-rivet the new unit (which should be shipped with a kit of pop-rivets and rubber washers).

I've been through two over the past 50,000 miles, both the result of 0 mph tipovers. The lock cylinder has to be removed from your old unit, and placed in the new one. ~1 hour if you have the appropriate tools.

It's called the "multi-purpose box" and sells for about $160. You have to drill out a bunch of pop rivets, then re-rivet the new unit (which should be shipped with a kit of pop-rivets and rubber washers).

I've been through two over the past 50,000 miles, both the result of 0 mph tipovers. The lock cylinder has to be removed from your old unit, and placed in the new one. ~1 hour if you have the appropriate tools.

I have the tools. I found the box on Max BMW's fiche and looked over the install PDF; looks like a fiddly PITA. :(

Archived