IGNORED

Wiring a whelen TIR3 as a auxiliary brake light

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I would like to add a whelen TIR3 LED light as an auxiliary brake lite on my '12 RT. I would like the light to be off until I hit the brakes. Is there a brake light wire to tap that is only hot when you hit the brakes?

Doug

Afternoon Doug

Basically, NO.

Your 09 hexhead uses a single wire for BOTH tail light & brake light with the tail light operating at a lower (pulsed/modulated) voltage (around 8 volts or so)

You can TRY your LED array as SOME will work on the pulsed BMW systems but even IF it works you will have the LED's running at a lower power for running light then go brighter for brake light.

If you insist on having it only work for brake light then you have to buy (or make) a transistorized circuit that reads the voltages & applies 12v to your array only when it sees brake light voltage input.

OR add a stand alone brake switches (usually a hydraulic switch at a banjo fitting) that uses brake pressure to apply 12 volts directly to your LED array.

Doug_Baliko

Thanks DR. I don't know if makes any difference but my RT is a '12 cam head not an '09.

Doug

Dave_in_TX
Thanks DR. I don't know if makes any difference but my RT is a '12 cam head not an '09.

Doug

No, it doesn't make any difference.

Archived