IGNORED

I need a good hardwire USB power solution - ideas?

xbubblehead

xbubblehead

Anyone know of a good weatherproof USB set up for the 2007 RT?

I removed my Zumo and want to use the iPhone 6 plus in its place. I was using the aux plug that is powered by the CANbus system and I am planning to splice that plug into the USB cable. Also, I want to use my heavy duty case with the mount but does anyone have any good suggestion for the mount that would be a good snug fit? I do have the Ram X-Grip but a little weary of the set up, looking for something more solid.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I just used this unit for a dash cam in my car (see my thread in RDOT). Fully potted, specs says it's waterproof. Also pretty dang small.

The USB output cable isn't terribly long, but you could always splice a longer one on there if you need to.

I like that Aerostich USB Power Wire as you can then fiddle with the iPhone with the ignition off - it might be long enough to lead forward under the tank bag fairing/plate to exit up by the headstock

I agree that the RAM mount is probably the best available option and if you have a lanyard attached I can't see a problem, even in portrait mode

Wonder what app you are using? Am currently happy with Pocket Earth Pro although it it needs internet to access the third party routing engine

szurszewski

I have the same mount and use it in the car. I have/had the same reservations a out using it on the bike, but I've talked to a few people,who have used it in on their bikes with no problems. Maybe not good for serious off road but probably fine for street use.

I have this charger . Drilled a 1" hole in the fairing and ran it directly to the battery. The rectangle screw mount comes off so it gives it a pro-fresh-a-nal look when complete.

For my iPhone, I utilize the Lifeproof case. The phone has been to the deep end of many swimming pools and through quite a few storms, all with zero ill effects. I mount the phone on a Lifepoof mount.

xbubblehead

Thanks for the ideas;

From the above answers/suggestions I think I will try the X mount but I have my eye on the ProClip #514667 coupled with #215695 just in case.

For the power, I had my Zumo cable spliced into the Canbus plug located just in behind the headlights. So I will do the same for a Lightning cable or USB outlet, like the Aerostitch. Then I can run the cable to the mount for an easy plug in.

Right now I'm just using Google Maps for traffic information, but I am using the SiriusXM app to listen to Howard Stern and music. All bluetooth to my helmet. I have to do some research into some good motorcycle apps for the Iphone.

I already had a battery tender plug under the seat, so I bought this

and this and I can originate my USB cord from either under the seat, or from the spare battery/glove box that is on the RTP. In the latter's case, I route the charger cord back out the same hole that the bmw to flat plug uses to get to the glove box. My phone/nav is an old Motorola Droid X in a Vertex case. I keep it in a RAM mount that comes off the triple tree.

If you don't have a bmw 12v plug outlet on your bike, I'd use something like this

I use the Burnsmoto dual usb power socket. I tapped into a parking light for power and installed it on the front of the handlebars. I use it all the time to recharge my bluetooth dongle and phone if need be. Works great.

xbubblehead

Yes, I ordered it through Proclip - I have no association with them but I have really liked the set up they suggested. I used MISSYOU for a coupon code which gave me 15% off but they have another code they emailed me TREATDAD, but that offers expires 11:59pm eastern 6/11/2015.

Archived