IGNORED

Hands going numb

Abbey

I'm having a problem with my hands going numb while riding my R1100rt. I had the same problem with a previous R1100. I don't have a problem while riding my Drz400. The grips on the R1100 are the standard OEM. Should I put on padded grips. I wear aerostich deer/elk skin gloves

I had the same issue. I put on a set of Beemer Buddies and that fixed it for me. Also make sure you valves are adjusted properly and TB are balanced.

foundationapps

Being medically oriented. I have a couple questions and observations that might help.

1. Any previous injuries to the upper C or T spine?

2. Is your blood flow sufficient? do your fingertips turn red in less than 3 seconds when you squeeze them hard?

3. Do your toes on either side go numb after a long saddle time. Are those numbing events by chance occurring at the same time (hands and toes)?

Observations: The riding position of the 1100 vs Drz are quite different. Medically, numbness in the fingers/hands can come from in old or new injury or inflammation at the C-spine level, or blood flow, or nerve compression in the heel on the hand from having too much lean on the hands while riding. Mostly it's blood flow.

A padded grip may help, a cheap solution is to go to a vet supply and get some horse vet wrap, 4" wide. Wrap 2-3 turns around each grip. Ride. If it's effective, then maybe a more padded grip is justified.

Vibration may also be a consideration, but not likely. Cold is a contributor. I see you're here in Idaho too. So, cold can be a part of it.

Magnitude of contributing events, I'd suggest that:

1. Ruling out injury / bloodflow issues, lightly padded grips would solve better than padded gloves.

2. Then try padded gloves, but nothing thick, because thicker padding can reduce blood flow as we usually ride with a tighter grip to get a better feel from adding padding. (sorry, that sounds weird).

3. Bloodflow. When you get numb hands / fingers, stop and check the capillary refill at the end of your fingers in both hands. Compare one hand to the other and compare that to the level of numbness in both hands.

Ancillary: Some gloves are too tight around the wrists, reducing bloodflow and in the right situations causing numbness and tingling.

Sorry for the long reply, better than half the information sometimes.

No medical issues/injuries and the weather hadn't been an issue. I think I'll order the Beemer buddy grips.

I had two things resolve the same issue for me. One, I have velcro straps on my gloves that I put on too tightly. Wearing them a little more loosely solved a great deal of it. The second, posture. The nerve bundle for your arms leaves your spine around the middle of your back at the base of your shoulder blades. It then travels up over your shoulders down your arms. I kept sitting incorrectly so my back was out of alignment causing pressure points in that area. Now I focus on my posture and wear my gloves a little more loosely and generally do not have any issues.

I had two things resolve the same issue for me. One, I have velcro straps on my gloves that I put on too tightly. Wearing them a little more loosely solved a great deal of it. The second, posture. The nerve bundle for your arms leaves your spine around the middle of your back at the base of your shoulder blades. It then travels up over your shoulders down your arms. I kept sitting incorrectly so my back was out of alignment causing pressure points in that area. Now I focus on my posture and wear my gloves a little more loosely and generally do not have any issues.

I found out long ago how posture affects everything, eventually, but I never really understood the positioning of the bodies wires. Thanks.

I had this problem too. It was mostly solved with QWI gloves, they have pads in the palms to prevent nerve pressure. I'm on my second pair, and they do work well, until the pads get thin, but that took many miles. 60,000+ km.

Google 'em up and order a pair.

not knowing anything about it - my first guess is that it's a pinched nerve in your neck or shoulders, rather than your hands. Do what you can to sit up straight. I find on my RS that I can sit up straighter if I ride with one hand. Play with your seat height too. Good luck!

realshelby

My right hand goes numb sometimes when I first start out on a ride. I used to fiddle with handlebar height and other stuff. Found out that by simply exercising it a bit the numbness goes away and does not come back. Even the next day while riding long rides. Probably something to do with a nerve or a bad connector :rofl: ...at my age.....

How carefully is your bike tuned?

Nice new spark plugs

Make sure valve clearances are perfect.

Throttle body balance absolutely spot on.

What rev range are your hands feeling the vibes?

foundationapps

It's interesting the two trains of thought on this discussion. The "what's causing the N/T in the hands" from a c-spine point of view. And the bolt on the bike solution. Good aspects discussion :)

Archived