IGNORED

Torque Wrench suggestions?

paRTy

Saw a thread on torque wrenches but can't seem to find again, so apologies in advance for asking....but does anyone have quality torque wrench suggestions for the home bike DIY'er?

standard and NM if possible.

thx

Morning

Personally I recommend the best you can afford.

In most cases an inaccurate torque wrench is worse that no torque wrench.

My personal favorite for both accuracy & retained calibration is Snap-On or Blue Point. (both run towards the more expensive end though)-- If it's worth torqueing then it's worth using a quality tool.

Here is an older thread on torque wrench selection--

Torque wrench thread-click here

Best are Stahlwille with removable ratchet head.

No need to ever set to zero

No problem loosening fasteners with it (no cautions, that is)

The removable ratchet head allows use of ring wrenches and other specials tool ... like the special tool for removing the transmission drain plug on R1100S.

If you've got a left-handed fastener, just remove the ratchet head and reinstall the other direction, i.e. 180 degrees rotated.

For general mechanical use I see no reason to spend the type of money Snap-on or similar wrenches cost. If your were an engine builder or doing aircraft repair on a daily basis, then maybe the higher end ones might be justified, but the fact is that when tested in a lab setting the less expensive wrenches prove to be very accurate.

I have four torque wrenches including two of the beam type. The beam style is my go-to choice as long as I can get a good straight on look at the scale. There is reassurance in being able to see the torque being applied at any given time vs waiting for the click.

Of course the clicker type are a necessity when you are working on something that makes it impossible to see the beam scale, just a little unnerving every now and then as you wonder if the wrench will ever click.

A decent quality clicker type from Craftsman or the like will serve you well without having to pay $300-$400 for a Snap on.

For general mechanical use I see no reason to spend the type of money Snap-on or similar wrenches cost. If your were an engine builder or doing aircraft repair on a daily basis, then maybe the higher end ones might be justified, but the fact is that when tested in a lab setting the less expensive wrenches prove to be very accurate.

I have four torque wrenches including two of the beam type. The beam style is my go-to choice as long as I can get a good straight on look at the scale. There is reassurance in being able to see the torque being applied at any given time vs waiting for the click.

Of course the clicker type are a necessity when you are working on something that makes it impossible to see the beam scale, just a little unnerving every now and then as you wonder if the wrench will ever click.

A decent quality clicker type from Craftsman or the like will serve you well without having to pay $300-$400 for a Snap on.

Agreed!!!!

Great info everyone - appreciate the replies.

Dirtrider, that was the thread I had seen before...thanks for the link.

Since I used to be in the tool business I'll pass along this information.

Got a torque wrench from grandpa and not sure if it's calibrated

correctly ?? How good is that old craftsman you've had for years?? Yes, you could buy a new one but sometimes you don't want to.

Angle repair and Calibration in Beckley WV is the place I used for years.

Great people and fair prices. They only repair & cal. USA made

wrenches. Check out the web site for details.

www.anglerepair.com

Yeah, I always drink light beer, smoke generic cigarettes and cheap cigars, and get my tires at Pep Boys because I don't deserve anything better.

I'm also thinking of trading all my BMWs for Kymcos for the same reason.

No, like all the rest, life is too short to only own cheap tools. Besides, the smell in Harbor Freight stores gives me a headache.

I REALLY enjoy having a Stahlwille roll cab tool box with lots of SnapOn, Hazet, Stahlwille, etc., tools. Makes me feel good. I've got Hansgrohe faucets rather than chromed plastic whatevers from Lowes, too.

Again, really this is a BMW forum and there's no reason to spend that kind of money for them either.

Yeah, I always drink light beer, smoke generic cigarettes and cheap cigars, and get my tires at Pep Boys because I don't deserve anything better.

I'm also thinking of trading all my BMWs for Kymcos for the same reason.

No, like all the rest, life is too short to only own cheap tools. Besides, the smell in Harbor Freight stores gives me a headache.

I REALLY enjoy having a Stahlwille roll cab tool box with lots of SnapOn, Hazet, Stahlwille, etc., tools. Makes me feel good. I've got Hansgrohe faucets rather than chromed plastic whatevers from Lowes, too.

Again, really this is a BMW forum and there's no reason to spend that kind of money for them either.

Well I can't comment on the beer, cigarettes, or cigars since I don't drink or smoke.

As as for tools...

When I purchased my first set of Craftsman hand tools in 1966 I wasn't really concerned with whether or not they made me "feel good". I wanted quality tools that would do the job for which they were designed. Forty-nine years later those same tools are still going strong.

Of course, many tools have been added along the way as needed for different applications. Some of those are from speciality tool suppliers like Cornwell and Snap On. I go to those guys when I have need of a tool that will not be available elsewhere.

It is nice that your particular roller chest filled with your choice of higher end tools makes you feel good, but I'm more interested in getting the job done and I never come across a valve cover bolt that didn't untighten because I wasn't using a Snap On socket and ratchet.

Heck - I drink. :/ I love wine too, but my next bottle of Chateau Margaux will just have to wait cuz it's just too damned expensive and I do not value wasting money. Gotta love the analogies. I'm in Eddd's camp, but my suggestion will be somewhere in the middle.

Here is a reasonable article on torque wrenches from webBikeWorld.

Here is the wrench they suggest, just over $100 and free shipping.

Incidentally, I own the crappy Craftsman Digitork wrench the article trashes - it has never let me down, and I have never heard of any rider in the history of this board comment that a nut fell off or was stripped due to the failure of their torque wrench.

Do you like the feel of $200 in your pocket?

• 4 weeks later...
Heck - I drink. :/ I love wine too, but my next bottle of Chateau Margaux will just have to wait cuz it's just too damned expensive and I do not value wasting money. Gotta love the analogies. I'm in Eddd's camp, but my suggestion will be somewhere in the middle.

Here is a reasonable article on torque wrenches from webBikeWorld.

Here is the wrench they suggest, just over $100 and free shipping.

Incidentally, I own the crappy Craftsman Digitork wrench the article trashes - it has never let me down, and I have never heard of any rider in the history of this board comment that a nut fell off or was stripped due to the failure of their torque wrench.

Do you like the feel of $200 in your pocket?

Well I do. :rofl:

Archived