IGNORED

GPS for older 2007 R1200RT

BMWAPRDUC

Firstly, I apologize if this thread exist. I searched before I created this and could not find anything.

I have a 2007 R1200RT and I am looking to install the latest GPS device.

While I am aware that BMW Motorad partnered with Garmin and produced the Navigator series, I learnt that that latest NUVI for example will not work with older BMW RT models like my 2007. The newer models also have this dial wheel integration into the GPS unit as well as some electronic features integrated as well (e.g. tire pressure, etc). The new mounts also seem to be very slick and non-intrusive (I saw a few factory fitted at the BMW dealer). So my question is this, is there anyone with experience on installing and recommending a GPS device for my 2007 RT? I don't mind the newer integration but just need to try and leverage the latest unit even if I have to give up on some features as opposed to purchasing an older unit because it worked better with the models back then.

Thank you

2007 BMW R1200RT

2010 Ducati 1198S

2012 Ducati Monster

2002 Ducati 998

2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

I've had a Zumo 550 on my '07 RT for years. I use the factory switched 12V power that is available from a connector under the front guages. The GPS mount is simply a RAM ball mount which replaces a handlebar bolt. I like the RAM mount because it allows me to commute daily without the GPS and quickly add the GPS for a weekend ride. The Zumo has been great. I program routes/rides via PC. I use the bluetooth with my Sena headset.

That said, the zumo 550 is old and doesn't have modern bluetooth. I needed to add a stereo dongle to get decent music quality to my headset. So, there are better options (sorry, I cannot help you with that).

What do you mean by "work with BMW RT models like the 2007"? I am not aware of anything on the '07 RT that any GPS will work with. At least with my RT, which does not have a radio option.

There are a LOT of options out there today. . It all comes down to what features you would use or need.

I have an '06 RT and use a Navigator V GPS (the most recent Navigator). The GPS came with a cradle/wiring harness and that's how I have it mounted/hard-wired to my bike. The Nav V works just fine with my bike. If I had a 2015 1200RT, there are a few additional features on the Nav V that would be available to me (like being able to use the "wonder wheel" on the RT to control the GPS, unlike the touchscreen and cradle buttons that I use on my '06). There are a few other features as well that only the newest bike models can access, but none is particularly important (to me, at least), and nothing that's integral to the essential purpose of a GPS.

If you're not interested in a Navigator, you can also look at the Zumo 590 (the latest in the Zumo series. It's similar to the Nav V.

That is great. I will look into the Navigator V. Is the installation easy to yourself?

I had mine installed by a dealer, so I'm not sure. By the way, there are two "versions" of the Nav V. One comes with the cradle/harness, the other doesn't. That's sold to folk who have the newest bikes, like the RT, that have a built-in "cradle" (not really a cradle, but a recess in which the GPS fits).

I am leaning towards buying the Nav V with 4-button cradle. However, I still am unsure on two things....

1. The physical mount or bracket to the cradle. I saw variations of this. One that fits on top of the console above, and another RAM that just connects on the handle bar in the center below the key with 4 bolts. Can you provide some feedback on one of the other? I am looking for ease of installation since I am not too mechanical but can follow instructions to the T

2. The electrical connection from the wiring of the GPS device to the bike. I am told that my 2007 comes with a pre-wired (white) connector (3-pin) that can be found underneath the gauges. This connector makes the connection to the actual GPS easy since they simply plug into each other. Is this true?

Thank you

Update - I just ordered online (from Amazon) the Garmin Nav V with the 4-button cradle for $739. I don't have a solution on the mounting bracket as yet. So any information here is appreciated.

Also, I am hoping that the connection into the harness of the bike is simple because I was told that the bike as a pre-wired white connector below the gauges.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Don't think my scheme will help. I had a RAM mount already installed over the clutch reservoir (basically a metal plate with four longer screws to take the place of the original factory screws that secured the clutch reservoir cover). I had a Garmin Montana mounted there and I simply substituted the Nav V for the Montana. My memory is a little fuzzy here, but I think I bought a few parts from GPS City to attach a mounting plate/RAM ball to the back of the Nav V cradle. That RAM ball then was attached to a RAM 3-inch arm (the other end attached to the RAM ball on the clutch reservoir cover).

The tech at the dealer used the factory pre-wired plug to connect the GPS harness to the bike. I seem to recall, though, that when he first installed it, the GPS would still be powered after the bike's ignition was turned off. I told him I did not want this, as I keep the GPS in the cradle when I park the bike in the garage (and it would kill the battery at some point).

So I received my Nav V today but have yet to decide on the mounting bracket. Based on my research there are three options:

1. Wunderlich Integrated GPS Mount (above console mount) Part Number: 8600887-888

2. RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Screws plus the RAM 1" Ball Standard Length Double Socket Arm with 2.5" Round Base that contains the AMPs Hole Pattern

3. RAM Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Cover Base with 1" Ball Centered - Part number RAM-B-345U.

I am going to ignore #3 because the Garmin Nav V GPS is too bulky for a handle bar mount.

I see a number of RT owners opted for #1 which seems to be the cleanest look, but I also saw the center of the handle bar just in fromt of the key also seems to be an option. I felt that this option would be an issue should I decide to mount a tank bag.

Can someone share feedback on what install option they went with and why and if they have any issues with the decision they made?

Archived