IGNORED

Russell seat covered in Sunbrella?

brianh70

Hello -

I'm going to upgrade my seat to a Russell Day-long. I see they now offer Sunbrella as a covering. Has anyone seen and/or sat on one yet? It seems like a good idea. I'm thinking of black sides with a blue seating area just to throw a splash of color on my Slate RT.

Hi Brian -

70 views and no takers! I'll opine.

I am actually surprised that Russell would add Sunbrella as a seat covering choice. I make fair use of Sunbrella as I have it in boat/Sea Doo covers, outdoor lawn furniture, and some awnings - but I can't imagine that it would have as attractive properties as good old fashioned leather. Leather has grip, stretches, and breaks in. I just can't imagine that Sunbrella can match that. About all it can do is repel water and look pretty, so I'm a bit skeptical. If it were anyone other than Russell it would seem gimmicky. They know their stuff, however, so this is interesting.

If you go for it, please post up with your real world impressions.

Hi Jake -

Thanks for your insight. I admit I'm a little skeptical myself. After I posted the question here, I decided to poke around a little more and look for some reviews. I found one VERY positive review over on advrider - a GS rider got his Day-Long done in Sunbrella and after a year of use (actually closer to two based on the date of his post), it's still holding up well.

Ok didn't want to be negative, but since Jake shamed us into responding....Like Jake I have boats covered with the stuff. I can't imagine sitting on it. It's hot. When it gets hot it gets a funny texture to it. It's kind of sticky and clammy. It works great for boat covers, tops, furniture covers, etc...but I truly can't imagine it as a seat cover. It also shrinks over time.

I know this isn't a direct response to the Sunbrella, but, I'm on my second Russell with the velour seating surface and I'm surprised more people don't choose this option. I spray it down with outdoor Scotchgard once, or twice, a year and it's fine if/when you get caught in the rain. It's never hot, it breathes better than vinyl or leather and you don't slide around on it. With the half moon pattern I think it looks good too. Hope this helps.

Ok didn't want to be negative, but since Jake shamed us into responding....Like Jake I have boats covered with the stuff. I can't imagine sitting on it. It's hot. When it gets hot it gets a funny texture to it. It's kind of sticky and clammy. It works great for boat covers, tops, furniture covers, etc...but I truly can't imagine it as a seat cover. It also shrinks over time.

Hi David -

I don't equate honest criticism with negativity. Now if you said "You're just a stupid doo-doo head for even thinking about this!" then that would be negative. :rofl:

Thanks for your observations. That definitely gives me something to think about.

Hi Brian -

70 views and no takers! I'll opine.

I am actually surprised that Russell would add Sunbrella as a seat covering choice. I make fair use of Sunbrella as I have it in boat/Sea Doo covers, outdoor lawn furniture, and some awnings - but I can't imagine that it would have as attractive properties as good old fashioned leather. Leather has grip, stretches, and breaks in. I just can't imagine that Sunbrella can match that. About all it can do is repel water and look pretty, so I'm a bit skeptical. If it were anyone other than Russell it would seem gimmicky. They know their stuff, however, so this is interesting.

If you go for it, please post up with your real world impressions.

Not responding to Jake, but using his info as a foundation for my comment.

RDL Saddles is a small company located near Lake Shasta, CA. The founding owner, who split from the original Bill Mayer a long time ago, ran it for years and made it a success. Upon his passing, his widow eventually put it up for sale. It was purchased at least a decade ago by a local company that made upholstery and coverings for boats. Being near Lake Shasta, I'm sure they were successful. And, they've been running the company well. The RDL product is still very highly regarded.

Anyway, if you wonder how they came to the idea to use Sunbrella, that might have something to do with it.

Archived