IGNORED

Adding headphone jack to radio

Eyeguy77Akvw

Eyeguy77Akvw

I just bought a 2015 r1200 rt. Has anyone tried wiring a headphone jack to hook up wired headphones. The stock speakers are really inadequate and I just want decent sound though the helmet Don't care about intercom or bike to bike.

Welcome...lots of knowledge and willingness to share on this site. The 14 and 15 RT wetheads are still a little new to this site, but don't be afraid to introduce yourself and ask away. How do you like your ride so far. I had the 8th 2014 RT in the US. Short of the shock issue which I was more than adequately compensated for, it has been the most incredible bike I could hope for....sans the brick seat.

Similar to your own objective, I had no interest in a BT headset - simply wanted to enjoy all audio output (Alpine plus Nav5) via my AZ AL's molded earbuds. To do that, I leveraged off BMWLT forum member Corvallis' thread in combo with help and engineering savvy from friend and riding buddy Ed (forum member "yattr"). Ed's solution to protect sensitive and expensive Alpine circuitry was to utilize one isolation filter inline per channel as described here and here which taps directly off the Alpine unit output wiring vs at the fairing speakers.

In brief, I'm delighted with the results. I routed the 3.5mm cable and female jack such that it exits just in front of rider seat behind tank cover, which is ideal location to plug in my earbuds. Fairing speakers are still on but at low volume to avoid overpowering ears. With Alpine unit speed sensitive volume turned completely off, volume heard through earbuds at lowest wonderwheel setting is nearly null. One or two clicks up from there is plenty at highway speeds (Schuberth C3 Pro) with absolutely no distortion.

Although Ed has a comprehensive integrated audio set up on his own 14 RTw, he was intrigued by my molded earbuds, made an appt with Al and now enjoys audio through those vs helmet speakers (consider this a free plug :wave:).

Any questions, post 'em up here or send me a PM...

Eyeguy77Akvw

I am astonished with the improvements in my 2015 over my old bike , a 2012 RT hex head ( except for the audio which Bmw needs to seriously look at and get feedback from users) I love the abundant power and improved wind protection. I do wish they had a few more accessories and riding gear from BMW . Not much of a catalog. Guess they figure the bike is so complete that nothing more is needed. This is almost true. I live in Mt Pleasant (central) Michigan. I would love to find other Beemer riders in this area.

• 1 month later...
Eyeguy77Akvw

David, I love the bike. Really big improvement over my 2012 hex head. I can't seem to find other fellow BMW riders in my area (Central Michigan) It would be nice to find a way to locate them by area. Outside of searching through the member list

I AM disappointed in the audio system. Really a poor integration for things like my iPod. I wanted a good wired connection using the lightning connector on my iPhone or at least a USB adapter that fully worked with the factory stereo . The 3.5mm female jack is loose also and dealer can't fix it so I can't route the audio into the system through the output of my phone or other player into the aux input without dropouts. Otherwise the bike is wonderful.

Archived