IGNORED

LED Brake Light Bar

Sonor

A friend saw my Hyperlights and wants something similar. He wants a bar about 8 inches long or one that is built into the license plate holder that mirrors the break light. Any suggestions?

There are a couple of reputable manufacturers who make license plate frames with built-in LEDs. Signal Dynamics comes to mind - mine lasted through 3 bikes over 10 years and well over 100,000 miles before I sold it with my last bike. No failures of any kind. The new Clearwater Billie also looks interesting.

-MKL

There are a couple of reputable manufacturers who make license plate frames with built-in LEDs. Signal Dynamics comes to mind - mine lasted

-MKL

Another :thumbsup: for Signal Dynamics.

But it has been years and there are others now.

I saw these at Grand Rapids BMW. Pretty cool and similar to a Euro option from BMW for 2016 - Dynamic Braking.

These led's will flash when engine braking and flash more intensely when braking harder. They do NOT hook up to the brake circuit, they just need a power feed. The unit senses deceleration. They were very bright in the store.

Company web site: Volo lights

you tube

Per Volo, "NOTE: If your motorcycle uses a CanBus system, (many BMW models) you will not be able to install the modular Vololights device at this time."

Per Volo, "NOTE: If your motorcycle uses a CanBus system, (many BMW models) you will not be able to install the modular Vololights device at this time."

I just called the Grand Rapids Dealer - the license plate LED modle works on Canbus - they've installed numerous ones. I guess they make a single canister model, and that is the one that does not work with canbus.

I just called the Grand Rapids Dealer - the license plate LED modle works on Canbus - they've installed numerous ones. I guess they make a single canister model, and that is the one that does not work with canbus.

You're right. I should have read further. I got to the statement that I quoted and stopped there. Apparently on some BMW's the license plate light is NOT on the CANBUS. Anyone know if this light is on the CANBUS on a 2011 R1200RT? I was looking at their Vololight (license plate frame) rather than the Volomod install anyway. Thanks for the correction.

I gave them a call and they said that on my bike, the brake light wire is not part of the CANBus. That's a green light to go ahead with the Vololights install.

I'll be placing the order in the next few days.

Archived