IGNORED

GPS Mount for R1100S ??

TN_R_Girl

So I finally bit the bullet and bought a Zumo 350.

Now, to figure out how in the world to mount it on the S Bike?

I have been trying to find some kind of accessory shelf that can be attached in the middle of the handle bars ... found one for the R1150RS, but not for mine.

Suggestions?

Ooh, ooh - choose me 'cus I know! :grin:

My prior 04 R1100S went to a new home nearly 3 yrs ago but here's how I mounted my Zumo550 for not so many $$...

On the underside of later S-bike triple clamps is a cast boss with unused tapped hole (mine had it). Included as part of Zumo550 accessories at that time was a mount to attach to standard handlebars. I had the cast piece (shown at bottom of RAM-B-178U) which I attached to that tapped hole in horizontal plane with an appropriate metric bolt and lockwasher. In order to raise the Zumo high enough to adjust viewing angle and friction knob, IIRC I used a longer clamping section than included with RAM-B-178U. Maybe not - its been awhile (noting I still have that piece which measures 3" ball center to ball center). BTW, I removed painted tank panels and routed power directly back to the battery.

Results were great, with convenient location and viewing angle in the S-bike sporty riding position.

411563165.jpg

411563039.jpg

411563045.jpg

411563048.jpg

411563074.jpg

411563073.jpg

411563074.jpg

another +1 for a RAM mount. I have no experience mounting one on an S, but they are quality mounts that you won't regret spending money on.

On my 1100S I used this base (Part# RAM-B-252U). I bolted it on to one of the handlebar clamp bolts.

RAM-B-252U.jpg

Then connected to the GPS with the medium arm and you will need the GPS specific mount.

According to the Ram Mount website the part number for the Zumo 350 mount is RAM-B-347U.

Lots of good info at their website.

On my 1100S I used this base (Part# RAM-B-252U). I bolted it on to one of the handlebar clamp bolts.

RAM-B-252U.jpg

Then connected to the GPS with the medium arm and you will need the GPS specific mount.

According to the Ram Mount website the part number for the Zumo 350 mount is RAM-B-347U.

Lots of good info at their website.

I think my unit came with this piece... I'll have to sit down and look at all the parts they sent with it.

That looks really good too. I'm just going to have to look to see what parts I got with the purchase of the unit and what options there are on my bike. (Though thinking they'll be the same as yours since mine's an '04 too).

Thanks!

Lone_RT_rider
That looks really good too. I'm just going to have to look to see what parts I got with the purchase of the unit and what options there are on my bike. (Though thinking they'll be the same as yours since mine's an '04 too).

Thanks!

Shannon, that's about what I did on my 04 R1100S too. What I found though is a bit of vibration in the GPS because of the long distance from the GPS to the ball mount. I ended up mounting mine to my tank bag instead (Ken Insley method).

This is what it looked like before I moved it to the tank bag. I can't seem to find a pic of it installed on the tank bag. Once I sold the R1100S, I moved it to the bars of the R1100RT and did the same for the R1200RT.

2610%20GPS%20install%20on%20R1100S%20002-L.jpg

Using the shorter 3" center-to-center RAM arm shown in my pics, no vibration, unobstructed view of speed/tach/gauges and no tank bag interference with original BMW style shown. :Cool:

I can't speak to your bike specifically, but Ram has so many different things you're bound to find something that will work for you. A couple of things you might consider: a ball with a through-hole and bolt to replace one of the handlebar bolts or any 8 mm bolt, part no. B-367-U

RAM-B-367U.jpg

Or if all else fails, the clutch/brake cover mount is practically universal, part no. B-345-U. I like this one because I don't like to look down at the handlebars and I don't like anything in front of the instrument panel.

RAM-B-345U.jpg

And like Effjay said, use the shortest arm you can to minimize vibration.

BTW, if you're in Nashville, come out to the BMW Motorcycle Club of Nashville club ride this Saturday... details at http://bmwmcon.org/

Pete

'06 R1200RT

'04 K1200GT (for sale)

Archived