IGNORED

Waterproof Glove Recommendation

Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Okay sports fans, there are a million different options for gloves so rather than try a hit or miss approach I'd appreciate hearing from you as to what brand of waterproof gloves you recommend? Bonus if they're good for cooler weather, the insides don't slide around and you don't have to give away your firstborn to pay for them.

Thanking you in advance

If that entire wish list is wrapped up into one pair of gloves, I'm interested. Assuming they fit, the BMW Two in One gloves are my next target at $209. The Held Air N Dry are supposed to be warmer, but are a bit more expensive at $250. Those two gloves are similar in that they have dual chambers - a cool idea. I just sent a pair of Held Raincloud X-trafit's back to Revzilla to get my $220 back as they are not cut right for me. The X-trafits have the bonded Gore-Tex that stays put.

You are about to hear from the "just add Aerostich Triple Rain Digits to your Lee Parks gloves" crowd.

This should be fun. Nothing's waterproof. I think my favorite gloves are my old classic cheap Olympias. Just washed & conditioned them and will hit them with the water-guard spray. Totally not waterproof, but since they are simply constructed they largely dry out overnight, unlike soaked waterproof gloves.

I was just about to talk someone into buying me a set of BMW Atlantis 3 gloves for my birthday - they seem to fit all your criteria from what I've read online BUT then I saw this weekend that the 2015 version meets all the criteria AND have touchscreen compatible thumbs and index fingers... Found them online for under $200 - actually well under - here they are for $160:

2015 BMW Atlantis gloves on Sierra

Dave Stephens
I was just about to talk someone into buying me a set of BMW Atlantis 3 gloves for my birthday - they seem to fit all your criteria from what I've read online BUT then I saw this weekend that the 2015 version meets all the criteria AND have touchscreen compatible thumbs and index fingers... Found them online for under $200 - actually well under - here they are for $160:

These look like they'll fit the bill. Thanks!

:thumbsup: on the Held Air n Dry.

They worked well in varying conditions on my recent 4k western loop to the MOA Rally and back.

I was fortunate to find a great minimally used pair on the net for about 60 percent off.

JR356

Guest Kakugo

Those gloves are very similar to my Dane Tyril gloves (touchscreen thumbs and indexes, Gore-Tex X-Trafit etc), with the difference the Dane's are more "racing" styled, meaning they have a solid kuckle guard and more protection on fingers.

If they hold water as well as the Dane's, that was a great buy. :thumbsup:

I have tested the Held Air N Dry gloves ( http://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/tp-heldgloves.pdf ) and they are fine units, but depending on your definition of "cool," maybe not the best choice. They're certainly not winter gloves. Mild fall at most, at least here in the hellhole of NJ.

I also have a pair of 5 year old BMW Allrounds which meet all of your requests. Never leaked a drop, and they're not expensive. They're also much warmer, dedicated cool weather gloves.

I'd say if riding under 60 degrees F, DEFINITELY go with the Allrounds or something more dedicated for cooler weather. If above 60F, the Air N Dry or equivalent will be fine.

Both are well made and you won't be sorry either way - just choose based on use.

-MKL

I'm on my third season with a pair of Held Air n' Dry gloves. They are pricey, but with heated grips, for the first time ever I only travel with a single pair of gloves: they are ideal for all conditions.

100% waterproof or flow air depending on which chamber you're in.

The biggest problem I've come across with waterproof gloves is trying to put them on if your hands are a little wet or just damp. The two different pairs I had would be nearly impossible to get on and as an added bonus the inner liner would pull out of the glove. Pushing the liner back in place was not possible.

I had the Triple Digit covers for a while but they lack the feel I want when riding during inclement conditions.

My latest solution are latex/rubber gloves from the farm and ranch store with silk glove liners under those for a little warmth. Not sexy, but 100% waterproof 100% of the time.

The biggest problem I've come across with waterproof gloves is trying to put them on if your hands are a little wet or just damp. The two different pairs I had would be nearly impossible to get on and as an added bonus the inner liner would pull out of the glove. Pushing the liner back in place was not possible.

I had the Triple Digit covers for a while but they lack the feel I want when riding during inclement conditions.

My latest solution are latex/rubber gloves from the farm and ranch store with silk glove liners under those for a little warmth. Not sexy, but 100% waterproof 100% of the time.

Based NOT on personal experience, they BMW Atlantis series is supposed to be designed to avoid that pitfall - the liner is bonded and the finish is supposed to be such that they will still slide over damp hands. I have tried them on in the shop and I can't even tell that there is a liner - all the layers seems solidly connected. They also fit my hands well, which is unusual as I have pretty small hands that apparently are not proportional to most glove standards (generally hard to find any gloves really small enough, and if I do, the fingers are too long by an inch, or the palms are way too tight). The 7.5 size for BMW fits me well.

I had a pair of BMW-brand winter gloves that never soaked through. But they finally ripped open at the seams.

I carry a couple pair of thin latex gloves (like I wear when I work on the bike) to use as liners if needed - or to keep clean if I need to do something on the bike.

These meet the "don't slide" and "not expensive" criteria - but not good for warm weather as they do trap heat (which a plus in cold rain.)

Archived