IGNORED

Wilber 641 or 640??

EddyQ

I am seriously considering Wilber shocks. Is the 641 shock worth the extra $$? I'm not taking my RT to the track regularly, but I am an engineer who loves to tweak (however doesn't have much time too).

My priorities with this shock change is:

1) much improved handling (over my old OEM) which I think would easily be achieved with either. However, after spending $$$$, I wouldn't be very happy if I found I needed a compression tweak and couldn't do it with the 640.

2) longevity - if 640 lasts more miles it wins. But if both technologies are about the same, then this don't much matter.

3) ease to adjust - ok, so I am assuming the 641 will be more work since it has separate compression/rebound which is fine if I would notice a handling difference at the end. However, I am no handling/shock expert and more adjustments has the remote possibility of making handling worse.

4) How is the 641 reservoir mounted on a '07 RT? Do I need to invent/build something?

I'm certain the remote hydraulic pre-load adjuster is a must for me. While I do most my riding solo (commutes and such), I occasionally take a loaded trip (still solo) and wouldn't want to pull out a spanner wrench.

I'm thinking the 640 is what I want. But if any of you who have upgraded with the 641, I'd love to here your thoughts. Would you do it again?? ect . . .

Check with the merchant you plan to buy them through and you'll get great advice. I went to Wilbers about four years ago and love them!

All Wilbers shocks are fully rebuildable, meaning when they have emulsified you can just have them serviced and they are as good as new for a fraction of a new shock.

All spares are available so no problems if something goes wrong.

In short both the 640 and the 641 will last as long as you can get them serviced. :thumbsup:

Regarding settings: I've only had WESA from Wilbers so far, but I've had aftermarket shocks on almost all my bikes from a variety of manufacturers.

Ohlins and WP are the hardest to set up properly, MUPO the easiest, followed by Kayaba.

Setting suspensions is not hard, provided you know what you are doing and are ready to invest a couple Saturday mornings on experimenting with settings. There are plenty of tutorials on the Internet, but by far the best is this .

Check with the merchant you plan to buy them through and you'll get great advice. I went to Wilbers about four years ago and love them!

+1 on this! In fact, I'd talk to both Ted & Herrman and get both of their thoughts!

+1 on this! In fact, I'd talk to both Ted & Herrman and get both of their thoughts!

Yup. I got a very nice email reply today from Ted which gave more think about and ask about. He said both the 640 and 641 wear about the same. I was planning to call him and Herman tomorrow.

Setting suspensions is not hard, provided you know what you are doing
That might be a problem. :grin:

Seriously, I have read many websites (the one you provide), bought a few books and all seem to say slightly different things. But I think I can read between the lines and get the bike much better than now. I did have an issue with poorly tuned shocks on a dirt bike decades ago. I made changes and Wow. I felt what compession and rebound dampening did (on bumpy, lumpy dirt). I cannot say I have ever felt what it does to road bike steering . . .

are ready to invest a couple Saturday mornings on experimenting with settings.
Another problem. I'm not sure I will ever have a couple of free Saturday mornings. However, I feel confident with my daily commute and note taking, I can get it dialed in. It may take me longer, but I'll get it. A slight concern is that the 641 (with more knobs) will take me a year of commutes to get it right!

I've heard great things about Wilburs and Penske. But when I had to do a shock recently (on a Guzzi) I went with a Hyperpro unit. It was less expensive and it was set up just for my specs (spring rate being the most important thing to get right.) I didn't feel a need to adjust the settings at all. It was a huge improvement (over stock Sachs unit) right out of the box. I did measure the sag, and it was correct.

Sorry I don't have a BMW specific experience to share, but the Guzzi is a heavy shaft drive bike (sound familiar?). Hyperpro might be worth a look and possibly save you a few bucks. Mine also came with a coupon for a free rebuild.

Bob Bernstein

I have had Ohlins, Works and Wilbuts and I have very positive dealings with Ted Porter and he is by the best, in my opinion. They have a work sheet that asks your weight,riding style, the bike you ride and how frequently you carry a passenger. When I got the shock, it was perfect for me when I installed it. I wouldn't worry about the remote adjuster although I ordered it. IMHO it has hardly been needed.

Just enjoy the superior handling.

Archived