IGNORED

BMW tool wrap (personalized)

moonie

.Hi everyone. I thought I would share my recent experience with trying to buy a tool wrap for my RT and my own personal solution.

There are a few really nice wraps that are made specifically for the RT, but they either are very expensive or not as complete as I would like.

With that said, and the fact that is Thanksgiving and Harbor Freight and Sears are having huge sales, I price compared what tools were being offered and realized pretty quickly I could get a whole lot more for a whole lot less!

Granted I may end up buying tools I won’t use only to get the few that I need, but since the pricing was almost half as much, I would just leave those tools out.

So without getting into too much detail about all of the tools I actually ended up using, I thought I would post a few pictures of the tool wrap and tools and highlight the major items.

The tool wrap is from Amazon and is called the Bucket Boss 7004. Man this thing holds too much! But Definitely able to fulfill any tools that I thought I might want.

Some of the more noticeable items is the Motion Pro bead pro tire breakers (9") version.

E torx sockets, 3/8" drive ratchets and sockets, and metric wrench set. Also you'll see rim protectors, spark plug tool, locking pliers, wheel weights, axle hex tool, valve core remover , screwdrivers, torx sockets and regular metric sockets and on and on.

With all that being said, it doesn't seem overly large, but I will need to carry it in the top or side bags.

The only other tools I need are the coil pack remover and oil filter wrench.

At this point I have roughly $135 in the entire package, and I purchased every tool that you can see including the tool wrap.

I am more than happy to get into more detail if asked and better photos.

I hope this helps someone since I was really torn on what I needed vs what I could afford. In the end, I need to spend about another $40 to make it a complete R1200RT set

20151127_191047_zps3odh6lbn.jpg

20151127_191156_zpsuq73x1rt.jpg

That's a great tool kit. I bought a dirt bike kit that I wear whenever I ride offroad - but it's so nice that I sometimes take it on a street bike too. I try to do most of the work on the bike with the tools I carry. From that work I found that I needed to add a few tools.

Here's a link to the same brand of kit I bought, but this one says it's for a BMW Dakar. There's a good list of contents, maybe some items on the list will be helpful to you too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Dakar-Tool-Kit-for-Adventure-and-Dual-Sport-Motorcycles-with-Co2-Inflator-/201414104120?hash=item2ee5375438:g:U1gAAOSwMmBV20QE&vxp=mtr

That's a great tool kit. I bought a dirt bike kit that I wear whenever I ride offroad - but it's so nice that I sometimes take it on a street bike too. I try to do most of the work on the bike with the tools I carry. From that work I found that I needed to add a few tools.

Here's a link to the same brand of kit I bought, but this one says it's for a BMW Dakar. There's a good list of contents, maybe some items on the list will be helpful to you too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Dakar-Tool-Kit-for-Adventure-and-Dual-Sport-Motorcycles-with-Co2-Inflator-/201414104120?hash=item2ee5375438:g:U1gAAOSwMmBV20QE&vxp=mtr

I actually saw that when i was shopping for an all in one.

The price of it vs the ADVDESIGNS is much more affordable, but when i saw the huge tool sales this weekend, i decided to price out putting my own together and that's how i ended up with the one i posted. :)

I have always done the same ... i.e. put together my own tool kits for my bikes. That way I always have what I need and not a lot of extras. They are always a work in progress :-)

Here is a like to another tool pouch source.... Kathy's Journey Designs (the same who make the nice bag liners)

http://kathysjourneydesigns.com/products/Kathy%27s-CORDURA®-Sport-Tool-Pouch/121.html

And most of you may know about the custom cordura anything that Brady makes

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/custom-sewing-and-cordura-items.487221/page-75

I have am interesting custom tool kit, it is called an I-Phone and a Credit Card and a Triple A card. The one time I broke down none of those tools in that beautiful tool wrap kit would have worked, the I-Phone, Credit Card and AAA card worked wonders. My experience with my bike is that if I maintain it well, replace wear items periodically, ie: Cables, belts, oil, plugs, etc. Then the road emergencies hardly occur. I used to carry a lot more tools then I do now, I have confidence in the bike, and also my custom tool kit.

When I had just graduated from college and was heading from WA to CO (in February, so going via CA, AZ, etc) on my R60/7 to ask my now wife to marry me, that's exactly the toolkit suggested by the jeweler who sold me the engagement ring. At the time I thought, I've got two of those three things, but, man, your credit limit is probably a lot higher than mine!

Day two of that trip, just before California (I'd technically made it to CA the night before, but got turned back at the top of the Siskiyous when snow on the south side closed I-5), my engine ate a valve. The tools I had only did me enough good to figure out I couldn't fix anything - credit card and cell phone were pretty handy :)

That said, I'll still be carrying tools on my next trip - though I still am not anywhere near able to replace valves and pistons on the side of the road, so maybe it is a waste of space - and I think I just might be carrying them in that same tool roll the OP purchased (or I could un-lazy myself long enough to sew one up a lot like it).

josh

Phone, credit card (and at least $20 cash tucked in the tool roll), AAA or AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) cards are good. AMA membership comes with some services comparable to AAA's RV/Motorcycle coverage.

@szurszewski - and she said "yes" after all that? I asked my wife on the way home from Monterey - after she endured having to change a rear tube in a R100CS in the Hearst Castle parking lot... then finding out the spare tube was old and had a slow leak on the valve stem seam... stopping at every gas station between San Simeon and Monterey to air up... then spending our Sunday locating a suitable tube... and on the way home, she said "yes."

OK... back to toolkits... good to have them and know how to use them. Better still to not need them (preventative maintenance). Basically the same philosophy as a first-aid kit (which I also carry). Sometimes these kits get used to help fellow travelers, not for ourselves. I broke out my dirt-bike first-aid kit two days ago in Flagstaff, AZ to help a hiker - the guy was on blood thinners and really did need to cover the cut.

Moral of the story - pack a little first-aid kit in with the tools, especially if you're carrying an engagement ring... wait... I'm not quite sure how this all fits together...

@szurszewski - and she said "yes" after all that?

especially if you're carrying an engagement ring.

She was in Colorado - and she didn't get asked until we were in Mexico the next month. The details are a little fuzzy, but as I recall I ended up flying out to CO (I couldn't even find a u-haul to get me back to my mechanic in WA, so my dad borrowed a trailer and drove down to drag my sorry butt back to WA), then we drove her car to LAX and flew to Mazatlan

The engagement ring, actually, wasn't done in time even for my later departure from WA, so it got FedExed to CO...barely in time for our trip to MX.

The engagement ring, actually, wasn't done in time even for my later departure from WA, so it got FedExed to CO...barely in time for our trip to MX.

Too funny. Confession on my trip - I actually had a photograph of the ring. It was a custom design that could not be resized once made, so I showed the picture and explained the situation.

Hmmm... how do we get back on topic? When my wife tells her version of the story, people look at me and say: "You showed her a PICTURE of the ring? You're such a TOOL." :dopeslap:

Phone, credit card (and at least $20 cash tucked in the tool roll), AAA or AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) cards are good. AMA membership comes with some services comparable to AAA's RV/Motorcycle coverage.

I dont disagree, but im plannin on riding Route 66 and the Blue ridge parkway by myself next year and depending on my cell phone isnt always a guarantee. I also bicycle tour and cant tell you how many times a few tools and the ability to fix a flat has come in handy.

Chances are, if I'm in a decent area with good cell coverage, that's what I'll do, but I'm not sure i want to be sitting on the side of the road with a flat in the desert or mountains without at least a shot at getting myself back on the road.

I worked out a few weeks ago at my local anytime fitness and when i cam out i had a 4" inch nail in my tire and out the sidewall.......

I just purchased a set of Metzlers and some tire levers and a Marc Parnes balancer and replaced the tires in my driveway yesterday. I could have had the dealer do it for a few hundred more, but now I know what to do and know i have all the tools required including an electronic pump and patch kit.

Moonie - I can see how my post might have given the impression that I was advocating the cash/card/phone solution. Not so. I am all about being able to fix things on the road and get to home or to my next destination (but the phone is a good backup). I have a dedicated tool kit on each bike, generally try to do my maintenance with tools I carry (so I will learn if my kit is missing something) and have added a few other bits, such as:

light sticks

rubber gloves

wire/tape/zip ties

spark plugs (most recent take-offs)

brake light bulb

unique, "Achilles-heel" items on each bike that are likely to fail and hard to source (for examples: a special spring for the gear selector on the '02 Moto Guzzi, and a spare, used HES for the K75s).

Sometimes I carry a portable air compressor (made by Slime), which I can run off the motorcycle battery. http://slime.com/226/products/power-sport-40001/

I change my own tires too and have the Marc Parnes balancer - great tool.

Archived