IGNORED

LED Headlight Bulbs for '5-'13 RT

Michael B

With 57K on my '11 RT I'm on my third set of H-7 low beam headlight bulbs. They are a total PITA to replace because you can't touch the glass and I have plus sized hands and limited space to install. LED H-7's that really work would be the permanent solution.

So, anybody know if a QUALITY, high output, Canbus compatible, LED H-7 is out there? If so, where and how much?

Cheers!

Well Michael, while others come forward, I will tell you that there are currently a lot of bad LED units available.

The number of clips on you tube are amazing. However, they all seem to put out a fair amount of light...but in all the wrong places.

Beam cut off on many is VERY poor, so lots of dazzle on low beam.

So, choose carefully.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

And,

Some still have so much heat in the diode that they require several inches of braided shielding attached to suck the heat out.

HID seem to last quite long, for me anyway, and many do not negatively impact the beam pattern.

You should also remember that your bike's headlamp reflector was designed for an incandescent bulb, not an LED or HID. The light sources from the latter two will be in different locations, resulting in a beam pattern that may not point where you want it to and may be very annoying to oncoming drivers.

I made the switch from the stock bulbs to a set of LED's from 1offmotorsports(Now out of business). Biggest mistake I've ever made. Lights are too intense and bother drivers in front of me, and coming towards me, at night. And the ballasts mess up radio reception.

I made the switch from the stock bulbs to a set of LED's from 1offmotorsports(Now out of business). Biggest mistake I've ever made. Lights are too intense and bother drivers in front of me, and coming towards me, at night. And the ballasts mess up radio reception.

The 1offmotorsports units are HID, not LED.

With 57K on my '11 RT I'm on my third set of H-7 low beam headlight bulbs. They are a total PITA to replace because you can't touch the glass and I have plus sized hands and limited space to install. LED H-7's that really work would be the permanent solution.

So, anybody know if a QUALITY, high output, Canbus compatible, LED H-7 is out there? If so, where and how much?

Cheers!

Do not throw away your money.

While you wait for a better mousetrap, install a set of PIAA H7/H9 bulbs. My brother put them on his GS (which eats bulbs as frequently as an RT) and hasn't changed one since.

I can ask him the product code if you are interested.

You should also remember that your bike's headlamp reflector was designed for an incandescent bulb, not an LED or HID. The light sources from the latter two will be in different locations, resulting in a beam pattern that may not point where you want it to and may be very annoying to oncoming drivers.

Very true, but if the LED is in the same relative position as the H7 incandescent filaments, then the light pattern will be the same! I had done a bit of research on the subject, as I want to put an LED bulb in my wethead low-beam as well. I don't recall what forum I had read, but it was a car forum, where a guy made some actual dimensional comparison of the positions of the two filaments in an H7 bulb, and compare them to the position of the two LED of one of those copper-braide heat-sink H7 LED bulb, and had found them to be the same.

However, even with the copper-braid taking less room than the fin/fan style heat-sink, one member of the BMWLT forum had fitted a pair to his pre-wethead RT low beams, and had found that they were still too bulky to close the covers. He had been using them that way (with the back covers off). He also reported that there were no CANBUS errors shown on dash.

Kakugo, you have my attention on the PIAA bulbs, at least for now, so yeah, please post the product code, price if available, and source.

I still think a high quality LED bulb is the ultimate answer to poor bulb life, especially since most new bikes are featuring LED headlights or even charging a premium for them. There must be something there. I sure would like to install my LAST low beam bulb!

Thanks for all of your comments. Cheers!!

When a reputable manufacturer offers them, it will be time to change.

That means Phillips, Osram, etc. Not joe's garage or some other fly-by-night eBay business. It's simply wishful thinking fantasy that these can be quality items.

Morning Michael B

I have been running the Osram Rally 65 Watt H-7 (H-9 on the H-7 base). Those are actually an H-9 bulb on the H-7 base. (the H-9 filament is more robust than the normal H-7 filament)

I tried a set of the 65 watt H-7/H-9 Osrams when they first came out & they didn't last but the set I have in there now is going well over 2 years & many/many thousands of miles.

The bulbs I have been using are 65watt Osram Rallye 64217 (special service)

Kakugo, you have my attention on the PIAA bulbs, at least for now, so yeah, please post the product code, price if available, and source.

Thanks for all of your comments. Cheers!!

PIAA 10707, roughly €50/pair. Which given Osram dropped Nightbreaker prices considerably, is a whole lot of money...

Try these guys:

http://dynamicmotorrad.com/

This guy does not sell LED headlight bulbs. He sells Spektrum LED turn signal bulbs. I just bought a set of four two weeks ago for my new GS Adventure. They're great, by the way (if a little pricey).

Cyclops sells LED headlight bulbs for the GS and the RT. I've talked to a couple of friends that are using them and are very pleased with the results.

GT

Cyclops sells LED headlight bulbs for the GS and the RT. I've talked to a couple of friends that are using them and are very pleased with the results.

GT

I had been looking at those also, and was afraid that the heat-sink/fan will be too bulky to fit inside! It seem that there are plenty of room in the wethead, based on what your friends are telling you!! Good news, and I am going to look further into it over the winter. BTW, here is the exact link to that bulb:

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/H7-3000-lumen-LED-Headlight-bulb_p_86.html

I called them and was told there is room for everything on the wethead RTs and GS bikes. They will install them for $35.00 if you live in the area.

GT

Archived