IGNORED

Engine guard crash bars

temesvar

Have always liked the boxer engine. But first thing that comes to mind is:

what when you crash?? The cylinder is sooo exposed!

I just got my first 1200 RT and would like to mount a set of

crash bars. Not only they protect, i think they look cool, to!

I would need the experience of the many long time BMW riders here

to guide me to chose the right set. Any input is greatly appreciated!

If you crash, the valve cover will scratch or crack.

If anything bigger happens, you have more to worry about than your engine.

The plastic cyl. protection guards do a nice job of protecting the valve covers when it tips over to the right. (Almost always right).

They can be sanded and touched up.

If you want "crash bars" the Wunderlich are very pretty and yes, you can mount things to them. They look very much like a factory installed bar would look.

If you want "crash bars" the Wunderlich are very pretty and yes, you can mount things to them. They look very much like a factory installed bar would look.

I haven't installed any yet, but looked at a lot of crash bars for my RT, and thought Wunderlich's looked like the best combination of style, robustness, ease of installation, and reasonable price. They're on my wish list.

I used Illum crash bars and have folding pegs mounted on them. They allow you to service the valves without removing them as well. They look good and are easy to install, plus they fit. GT

I haven't installed any yet, but looked at a lot of crash bars for my RT, and thought Wunderlich's looked like the best combination of style, robustness, ease of installation, and reasonable price. They're on my wish list.

If you are going to install both front and rear bars, then Wunderlich is the only game in town! However, if you are going to install just the front bars, then you guys should be aware that, on the pre-wethead RTs, you will need to dismount the Wunderlich bars in order to take the front cover of the engine off for changing the alternator belt. That will cause you some time, if you do your own maintenance, or money if your dealer do the maintenance!

Personally, I had the Ztechnik bars on my prior '07 RT, and I like the looks of them. On top of that, they were not in the way of anything for any maintenance!

73873d1423835042-wunderlich-engine-bars-heads-up-10.jpg

I put black Ilium engine guards and Wunderlich case guards on my '15 RT soon after buying the bike. Yesterday on my way to work I hit an oil patch when turning left in an intersection causing the back tire to slide out. I laid my bike down, and had to pick it up with traffic going on either side of me, and rode it to a safe location. There was no damage, and both sets of bars easily supported the weight of the bike. With some steel wool and a black sharpie, they will look good as new. They probably paid for themselves yesterday.

I put black Ilium engine guards and Wunderlich case guards on my '15 RT soon after buying the bike. Yesterday on my way to work I hit an oil patch when turning left in an intersection causing the back tire to slide out. I laid my bike down, and had to pick it up with traffic going on either side of me, and rode it to a safe location. There was no damage, and both sets of bars easily supported the weight of the bike. With some steel wool and a black sharpie, they will look good as new. They probably paid for themselves yesterday.

That is exactly why i intend to get some protection. Am sure, at high speed crash there would be more to worry about, but for a low. it should save a lot of headaches!

I have the Wunderlich bars throughout, and would recommend Ilium for the front and for the rear, only Wunderlich is available anyhow. Ilium seemed to me to be more robust, it's less expensive if memory serves, and it's made in the USA.

-MKL

Archived