IGNORED

Basecamp & Zumo 660 Question

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

This is a question for those of you who know more about BaseCamp than I do, which is probably everyone!

I took a .GDB MapSource Route called "Connecticut Loop" and imported it into BaseCamp. It went into a list in the top left pane I created called "Connecticut Loop", under a sub-list I created called "Connecticut Rides".

The "Connecticut Loop" route and 52 Waypoints show up in the bottom left window pane.

When I send it to the SD card in the GPS, either by highlighting the line, right mouse click, and send to, or dragging it into the SD folder, or toolbar "send to device", ....do I highlight and send the list from the top pane which includes the waypoints, or the just the route from the bottom pane?

When I send the list from the top pane, and turn on the GPS, it says it found new data and wants to import it, but it gives me two choices, "Routes" and "Favorites", where it places the route in the "Custom Routes" and the Waypoints in my "Favorites". Is that the correct way to do it?

If I just import the route from the bottom pane, will the GPS still follow the route, although the Waypoints don't seem to show up anywhere?

Hope I explained it correctly.

Thanks!

The most simple suggestion is to design the route on Basecamp, but...

Review the route in considerable detail to ensure it is going exactly where you want it to go. If you need to shape the route then now is the time.

It is really important to zoom way in to check the route. If you have used waypoints you need to be certain the actual point is where you think you put it. Many times my shaping points/waypoints are on the wrong side of the road, or worse take you to a place you didn't really intend.

Lesson is to zoom-in and be really certain.

To get a route from Basecamp to the device ... with your device connected... click/highlight the route in the lower portion of the Basecamp screen. The import will bring along the entire route including the waypoints.

additional tip...

Always start a route building project by checking for a map update for the map on the device... using Garmin Express. If an update is needed Garmin Express will update the map on the device... then the device will update Basecamp's map to match when you connect the device to Basecamp.

Good luck.

The Rocketman

Did all that, except imported an old route from MapSource and re-calculated in BC due to newer maps. Exporting the routes/waypoints was the main question, and I appreciate the response.

While we're at it...

When creating a new route in BC using the New Route tool, is it advisable, if the route is a loop, to make the start and end points the same, or to make the end point just before the start point, or does it even matter? I've had times where when I told the GPS to follow a 300 mile route, it told me the route is over in 11 feet or had me leave the parking lot, return a minute later to the same spot, and tell me the route was complete!

When creating a new route in BC using the New Route tool, is it advisable, if the route is a loop, to make the start and end points the same, or to make the end point just before the start point, or does it even matter? I've had times where when I told the GPS to follow a 300 mile route, it told me the route is over in 11 feet or had me leave the parking lot, return a minute later to the same spot, and tell me the route was complete!

Afternoon Rocketman

It CAN matter-- If your route is a very robust route with solid via points & very few alternate choices then you can return the route back to start point.

On the other hand if the route is not the most stable, or poorly placed via points, or lots of (better) alternate routing choices then returning the route back to the very same point as the start can cause routing corruption or at least part of the route being changed by the GPS.

As a rule you should not loop a route completely back to starting point if possible (especially if the route has a crossover back over itself, or a mid route path back to the start point that makes more sense to the GPS than continuing on the routing of your choice).

Even on a stable route with many good solid via points it will usually follow your intended route IF you stay on route, problems can occur if you miss a turn & it has to recalculate to destination at the exact same place as the route start.

Best way to handle it is to never make a route with a destination at the same coordinates as the start (especially if you plan on sharing the route with others)

When I send the list from the top pane, and turn on the GPS, it says it found new data and wants to import it, but it gives me two choices, "Routes" and "Favorites", where it places the route in the "Custom Routes" and the Waypoints in my "Favorites". Is that the correct way to do it?

If I just import the route from the bottom pane, will the GPS still follow the route, although the Waypoints don't seem to show up anywhere?

Afternoon Rocketman

What version of BaseCamp are you running? Some older versions of BaseCamp didn't do very well with route transfers to some GPS unit SD cards. (4.5.2) is the latest version for PC.

Newest version 4.5.2

Transfers to SD card is working fine.

Afternoon Rocketman

OK, if it transfers good to the SD card then you are transferring what you have highlighted.

It should transfer the routing via points along with the route (points that are on that route)

If you want to transfer all your waypoints then just click on the "show waypoints" in the BaseCamp lower box "show filters area" (assuming you have show-filters turned on) then highlight & transfer same as a route.

The Rocketman

OK. Got it.

I'm thinking if I export the list from the top pane, the route and all the waypoints transfer to the GPS, with the .GPX route going to the "Custom Routes" and the waypoints going to "My Favorites" after I do the import new data thing.

If I transfer just the route from the lower pane, just the route transfers, but somehow the waypoints are embedded into the .GPX route, but are not added to my favorites.

Archived