IGNORED

Intelligent Brake lights

thataintworkin

thataintworkin

I am attempting to purchase an enhanced brake light module to my 15 R1200RT for safety purposes (flicker, alert flashing, etc). I am looking to get some input from others who may be able to provide options to consider. I very much like the Skene P3 solution in terms of its function however I am not thrilled with the aesthetics of the LED arrays with this solution. Does anyone know of alternatives to the Skene solution that include its functionality but may have a cleaner LED array appearance?

While the Skene P3 may not have the asthetics of the factory BMW brake light, its function is beyond anything I have used before. I have used the 10 led blocks that you mount aroung the taillight area, Addmore stuff on the V Strom. I could have probably machined a mounting panel for the P3's on the rear of my RT, but I don't mind how they look set in the top case trim panel. I am impressed with how they work/function. I bought the front white Photon Blasters for it soon after and personally think they give more oncoming traffic visibility than the typical driving light setups I used to run.

I use P3's and think that the work very well. As an additional safeguard from getting rear ended I added a Whelen TIR3 LED emergency light wired in line with the P3's as an additional brake light that is super bright. But if you don't like the look of the P3's you would hate the look of the additional TIR3.

Doug

I am attempting to purchase an enhanced brake light module to my 15 R1200RT for safety purposes (flicker, alert flashing, etc). I am looking to get some input from others who may be able to provide options to consider. I very much like the Skene P3 solution in terms of its function however I am not thrilled with the aesthetics of the LED arrays with this solution. Does anyone know of alternatives to the Skene solution that include its functionality but may have a cleaner LED array appearance?

I can think of two options for you! The first is that you can buy the Skene controller (http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/IQ_150.shtml) for just $50 and connect it to your existing brake light, plus any accessory LED that you may want to add yourself.

The second option is the one that I use, but it is EXPENSIVE! Add the Clearwater aux. light kit (I have the Krista) that will come with the Canopener electronic control module. This module have output to power aux. LED brake light, up to 1 amp draw, and it is programmable so that the brake light can act normally, or flashes (California style), or flashes dynamically depending on your speed!

I am currently testing the Clearwater Billie ( https://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_Billie.html ) for BMW Owner's News. To my knowledge, it is the ONLY "intelligent" aux brake light module out there. And by intelligent I mean it has the ability to vary brake light output according to 4 separate modes, either static or DYNAMICALLY (meaning brake light actuation and pattern varies by speed.) This includes actuation WITHOUT hitting the brakes (i.e., downshifting.) And all of these modes can be programmed to vary based on ambient daylight conditions (day or night mode) as determined by the bike's on-board photocell. (If you Google Billie Brake Light Manual you can pull up a PDF copy and study these features in depth.)

Suffice it to say that this is TRUE intelligence. Nothing else out there that I know of is doing anything except maybe flashing in a strobe pattern. That's not intelligent - that's been around for 20 years, since I started riding (Kisan Tailblazer was on my Sportster in 1998, for example.) The Billie, by contrast, is taking actual real time data from the CANbus and translating it into preprogrammed behavior based on the rider's preferences. And this thing is B-R-I-G-H-T!

I'm going to give it an A+ in my review. Not counting the CANopener, it costs a whopping $10 more than your run of the mill Signal Dynamics LED license frame. TOTALLY worth it.

-MKL

I am currently testing the Clearwater Billie ( https://www.clearwaterlights.com/infopg_Billie.html ) for BMW Owner's News. To my knowledge, it is the ONLY "intelligent" aux brake light module out there. And by intelligent I mean it has the ability to vary brake light output according to 4 separate modes, either static or DYNAMICALLY (meaning brake light actuation and pattern varies by speed.) This includes actuation WITHOUT hitting the brakes (i.e., downshifting.) And all of these modes can be programmed to vary based on ambient daylight conditions (day or night mode) as determined by the bike's on-board photocell. (If you Google Billie Brake Light Manual you can pull up a PDF copy and study these features in depth.)

Suffice it to say that this is TRUE intelligence. Nothing else out there that I know of is doing anything except maybe flashing in a strobe pattern. That's not intelligent - that's been around for 20 years, since I started riding (Kisan Tailblazer was on my Sportster in 1998, for example.) The Billie, by contrast, is taking actual real time data from the CANbus and translating it into preprogrammed behavior based on the rider's preferences. And this thing is B-R-I-G-H-T!

I'm going to give it an A+ in my review. Not counting the CANopener, it costs a whopping $10 more than your run of the mill Signal Dynamics LED license frame. TOTALLY worth it.

-MKL

Will give it a try! Any suggestions? so much to chose from!

Besides, some other subjects on that site i may be interested in!

Thanks!

I just ordered a a vololight ( link: http://vololights.com/

Vololights-Black-Brakeless-Deceleration-Indicator_large.jpg)

Haven't installed it yet, but I really liked the concept. It only needs connection to your license bulb, not the braking system lights and therefore you don't have to worry about canbus interference. At least that's what I believe. I came across it in some other threads on this site. I already have hyperlights on and use a signalminder. I thought this would be a good addition. Check them out. . .

I put the Vololight on my 2011 RT a little while ago. Very happy with it. Install was simple and straightforward once I discovered that there is not a separate license plate light on my bike. I tapped into the rear power outlet. I put some extra heat shrink tubing over the wires to prevent any abrasion.

Although I like the idea of an intelligent brake light warning system, I am not excited about the license plate frame "look". And I prefer the brake light higher in the viewing area, such as the OEM tailight assembly and/or trip trunk location.

I've used a plug and play lamp in my 03 RT for years which has been trouble free.

I am interested in the same for my 15 RT. Anyone used this yet?

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/catalog/product/gallery/id/136/

Thanks in advance.

MB>

I had Skene P3s on the '06 RT that I just traded for a 2015 GS Adventure. For the new GSA, I opted for the Clearwater Billie Jr. (it's exactly the same as the Billie mentioned earlier in this thread, but it doesn't have a full licence plate frame, just the bottom LED array. You still attach it by means of the lower licence plate screws/bolts).

You can only use the Billie, or Billie Jr., in conjunction with Clearwater's CANopener. In my case, I bought a set of Darla LED driving lights, which included the CANopener module. This allows me to control both the Darlas and the Billie Jr. using the OEM "wonder wheel" on the handlebars, so no other switches/controls are needed. All the programming of the lights is done with the wonder wheel.

While I really liked my P3s, I thought the Clearwater product had a cleaner look, and the programming using the wonder wheel was brilliant.

I had Clearwater LEDs on my RT and I know they're a well made product. They are a bit on the pricey side for sure.

I can't tell you how the Billie Jr. performs because it's only being installed on Monday.

I had Skene P3s on the '06 RT that I just traded for a 2015 GS Adventure. For the new GSA, I opted for the Clearwater Billie Jr. (it's exactly the same as the Billie mentioned earlier in this thread, but it doesn't have a full licence plate frame, just the bottom LED array. You still attach it by means of the lower licence plate screws/bolts).

You can only use the Billie, or Billie Jr., in conjunction with Clearwater's CANopener. In my case, I bought a set of Darla LED driving lights, which included the CANopener module. This allows me to control both the Darlas and the Billie Jr. using the OEM "wonder wheel" on the handlebars, so no other switches/controls are needed. All the programming of the lights is done with the wonder wheel.

While I really liked my P3s, I thought the Clearwater product had a cleaner look, and the programming using the wonder wheel was brilliant.

I had Clearwater LEDs on my RT and I know they're a well made product. They are a bit on the pricey side for sure.

I can't tell you how the Billie Jr. performs because it's only being installed on Monday.

There is a guy on the R1200RT Owners Facebook page who has a CANopener, and replaced the stock LEDs on the "big topcase" on the R1200RT-LC with Skene lights. P3 in the center, and ST4 turn LEDs per side. The Skene lights are hooked up to the CANopener and it works perfectly.

He's in Europe as I recall, and you have to put together a hodgepodge of products, but it is possible.

-MKL

Although I like the idea of an intelligent brake light warning system, I am not excited about the license plate frame "look". And I prefer the brake light higher in the viewing area, such as the OEM tailight assembly and/or trip trunk location.

. . .

Thanks in advance.

MB>

One of the things I liked about the vololight was it lets me keep my original brake lights plus the hyperlights I already added in. I installed the hyperlights just under the topcase, so they are closer to eye level for those driving behind me. The vololights are just "extra insurance" and I like they are not tied to the brake lights but instead work off any engine-braking or slowing down I do.

just my 2 cents. . .

I went on a ride last weekend with a guy who had these intelligent lights that came on under deceleration..not sure what brand. They were actually quite confusing when I was following him. They were certainly bright enough and helped from that point of view, but they would only come on in certain conditions. When he would apply his brakes, his regular brake lights would come on and under certain deceleration these lights would come on TOO. The confusing part as he continue to slow down with brakes then these deceleration lights would go off. It was a little confusing when he was braking and when he wasn't. I suspect for a cage drive as the speed begin to slow and the deceleration lights went off, even though still slowing, they might not get it....or perhaps a LEO might think faulty lights.

Good idea, but execution not so good.

I went on a ride last weekend with a guy who had these intelligent lights that came on under deceleration..not sure what brand. They were actually quite confusing when I was following him. They were certainly bright enough and helped from that point of view, but they would only come on in certain conditions. When he would apply his brakes, his regular brake lights would come on and under certain deceleration these lights would come on TOO. The confusing part as he continue to slow down with brakes then these deceleration lights would go off. It was a little confusing when he was braking and when he wasn't. I suspect for a cage drive as the speed begin to slow and the deceleration lights went off, even though still slowing, they might not get it....or perhaps a LEO might think faulty lights.

That too is my concern. I think too many flashing things causes sensory overload and fixation. I think the best thing you can have for rear brake lights is something mounted up high. I do like the lights that flash a few times when the brake is first applied, then go solid and very bright.

That too is my concern. I think too many flashing things causes sensory overload and fixation. I think the best thing you can have for rear brake lights is something mounted up high. I do like the lights that flash a few times when the brake is first applied, then go solid and very bright.

The very reason why I had bought the large powered top-box with the aux. LED brake light! Once I had the Canopener installed, I actually cut that aux. LED power conductor (at the bike side of the connector) and connect it to the brake output lead of the Canopener module. No need to touch the LED's negative conductor. Now, my top-box LED is active as tail light as well as fully programmable to flash the way that you like it (California style), or dynamic (speed sensitive).

Archived