IGNORED

GPS connection

temesvar

New to me a 2008 RT.

Would like to know what are the better ways to connect a GPS.

Morning Albert

You need to define better? Better for what?

How you connect a GPS device really depends on what GPS that you have & what you expect it to do when the key is turned off.

On the 1200RT some connect their GPS to the factory GPS harness power connector (at front of steering head)-- this basically powers the GPS off at key-off after a time delay. The problem with this is: on some GPS units this can cause the GPS to come back on using internal battery power when the power eventually switches off. This hook-up also causes a break in tracks when the GPS powers down at gas stops of meal breaks.

Some riders find a key-on power source then use that as a positive GPS on/off at key on-- works pretty well (same as above as far as tracks go) but can still cause some GPS units to go into internal battery power mode when key is turned off.

Then some riders (like myself & some of my riding friends) just use a (fused) battery direct GPS power source. That way the GPS stays powered up until WE turn it off or remove it. This keeps travel tracks intact, keeps the current route alive until the GPS is removed or turned off, & doesn't effect some GPS units when the bike power shut-off delay times out.

The battery direct hook-up is a good way, especially IF you remove the GPS at night or when leaving the bike parked for awhile. This way YOU control the GPS power not the bike's power computer.

Lots of ways to power your GPS --you just need to figure out what way suits your usage & GPS type best.

Albert... tell you what... I would never, ever, contradict anything Dirtrider says...

so there... The '08 RT is virtually identical to the '05 I had. Under and forward of the steering head there will be a connector that is frequently called a "Diagnostic" plug. There are several wires in it that are powered by 12v. switched power. If you have a meter you can sort that out easily.

I tapped into it for my zumo 550 GPS and it worked perfectly. I never experienced the issues he mentioned above.

Having said all that... it is easy to get un-switched power at the battery if that is what you want. You will have to get the wires forward which is best done when you remove the fuel tank. This is not hard but if you have never done it... find a pal who has.

Beyond that... introduce yourself over at the zumoforums website for any and all there is to know about GPS.

You will have to get the wires forward which is best done when you remove the fuel tank. This is not hard but if you have never done it... find a pal who has.

Afternoon Hopz

The tank doesn't have to come off-- I have wired a number of 1200RT's for battery direct GPS up front without removing the tank (or even removing the Tupperware). All you need is a somewhat stiff wire long enough to reach from about the battery area to far enough forward to pull a wire harness through.

Bend the end of the stiff wire with a pliers then flatten the bend (so the end of the wire is round & harmless), then starting at about battery top height work that stiff wire through from rear to front along the L/H side (you can see an area that looks like it will allow pass through)

Once the stiff wire is passed through then just tape the end of your GPS battery-direct wire harness to the rear of that stiff wire & pull it through to the front.

I usually cover those battery direct wire harnesses with small diameter split convoluted tubing (convoluted wire harness covering.)

The harness will sit in that L/H side cavity for ever if needed without any further attention but if a person feels like it they can add a couple of zip ties next time they have the L/H Tupperware removed for some other reason.

Thanks both of you, gentlemen, for the time you spent

sharing your knowledge and experience.

D.R., what I meant by better is more than the plug outlet at the left

of the bike. Direct to the battery makes me a bit nervous, since I had

a problem with the GPS charger last year. I have a Zumo 350 and had it

connected to a live outlet straight from the fuse block on my Triumph

Sprint. I thought is worked fine, but after I replaced 2 new batteries, I

found out it was drawing power and killed the batteries. First one I blamed

the cold weather, second thought the bike's charging unit, since Triumph's

are known for. Late in the year found out what the real problem was.

Purchased a new charging harness for the GPS from Garmin, so should be

good this time. Hopz, I should check with Garmin forum as well, and thanks

for the suggestion. Removing the gas tank would, or should not be a problem,

since sooner or later will get to that point. But D.R.'s suggestion would save some

time and will look into that as soon as the weather will be kinder to bike

riders! As of yet, have no need for the GPS, I should find my way home after

the short rides I take this time of the year. :/

A little bit of a late addition... I suggest an aftermarket fuse block wired to the battery. A lot of riders like the Fuzeblock FZ-1, I prefer Cycle Terminals setup. With either you can choose switched or unswitched, just depending on your personal preference (I like everything switched off when the key is switched off). Also depending on your GPS model, it may give you the option to continue operating on its own battery power when you switch the power supply off. If you choose switched, you need a pilot supply to trigger the relay - I tapped into the running light wire up front.

I think the plug to which Dirtrider refers is the factory GPS plug in (my RT had a Nav IV plugged in there when I bought it). You can buy a replacement plug to mate with it, or you can tap into that as a power source only for the GPS, but I wouldn't recommend powering any other accessories from that line, or you can use it as the pilot for your relay. You might also experience a 30 to 60 sec delay between turning the key off and power shutting down from that source, which you might like or might dislike.

With Cycle Terminals system you assemble a two-prong plug for each accessory (just crimping a couple of terminals), add a fuse to the block, and plug it in. The assembly sits neatly under the seat of the RT.

I was never able to fish the wires through without taking the side panel off, but there is lots of space on the right side under the fuel tank and over the air intake.

Good luck!

A little bit of a late addition... I suggest an aftermarket fuse block wired to the battery. A lot of riders like the Fuzeblock FZ-1, I prefer Cycle Terminals setup. With either you can choose switched or unswitched, just depending on your personal preference (I like everything switched off when the key is switched off). Also depending on your GPS model, it may give you the option to continue operating on its own battery power when you switch the power supply off. If you choose switched, you need a pilot supply to trigger the relay - I tapped into the running light wire up front.

I think the plug to which Dirtrider refers is the factory GPS plug in (my RT had a Nav IV plugged in there when I bought it). You can buy a replacement plug to mate with it, or you can tap into that as a power source only for the GPS, but I wouldn't recommend powering any other accessories from that line, or you can use it as the pilot for your relay. You might also experience a 30 to 60 sec delay between turning the key off and power shutting down from that source, which you might like or might dislike.

With Cycle Terminals system you assemble a two-prong plug for each accessory (just crimping a couple of terminals), add a fuse to the block, and plug it in. The assembly sits neatly under the seat of the RT.

I was never able to fish the wires through without taking the side panel off, but there is lots of space on the right side under the fuel tank and over the air intake.

Good luck!

Thanks Pete! Was thinking of using a PDM60,(power module distributor) high quality, fuse less and water proof. I like the

idea of having everything switched off once the bike is not in

use.

I am a "keep it simple" guy and for me on my '06 RT I used the GPS plug on the RT and bought the plug and play connector from BMW. Then just plugged my Garmin Zumo 450 right in and works perfect. I like the switched power. But just my $.02 and YMMV.

Archived