IGNORED

RT wheels?

Bruce A

I'm one of those guys who likes to use ALL the tread on a tire while commuting back and forth from work where being stranded is not an issue. But, the need arises every now and then to go the distance that would exceed what tread life is left on the tires. I would love to have an extra set of wheels for my 09 RT to have a fresh set of tires for those pop up trips that require more tread than is currently on the tire. Anyone have suggestions or wheels? No luck on Ebay.

Wheels come up on Ebay, but you will need patience and frequent checking to find them. \

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/ would be also be possibility for used parts. Like Ebay, you will need patience but you can request an email notification if wheels become available.

Motorcycle salvage yards ("breakers") seem to be more common in England - might be worth searching UK websites.

Remember you will need not only wheels, but brake discs to make convenient swaps.

Another option would be your own tire changing setup.

I would suggest learning to change your own tires. When I commuted on my bike, I also felt the need to squeak out every last mile of rubber on my tires. When it was time for a trip, I would spoon on new tires and go. The old ones would go in a pile, and I would slowly work my way through them as I wore out tires until my next big trip.

With the single sided swing arm and the center stand, swapping tires on a modern BMW is a breeze. I could have both front and rear swapped and everything cleaned up in less than 30 mins.

The only company manufacturing aftermarket R1200RT wheels I am aware of is Active of Japan under the Galespeed brand.

They are available in a variety of designs and colors albeit the front brake carrier on BMW wheels may be not to everybody's liking .

These are fantastic wheels sold at a very competitive price. I've been toying with the idea of getting a set for the present Honda: the ones I had on the previous one literally transformed the bike.

However I can well understand wanting to save money on a set of spare wheels. Sadly used BMW wheels seem to be made of the same material as hen teeth because they are just as rare!

Once in a while a complete bike (usually an ex-police one) will pop up to be broken for spares but wheels are the first thing to go. This assuming it hasn't been crashed in a wall or a tree head-on... :P

Archived